What are you buying today?

LowIQinvestor

If the buying and selling threads are accurate guage of the sentiment in this forum, people here in this forum feel like today is just a dip and a buying opportunity.

Long term, it is a dip and a buying opportunity. Whenever you see forced selling you can assume there will be some opportunities.

In the short term, the buying activity on this forum suggests there is still room to drop further.

If the buying and selling threads are accurate guage of the sentiment in this forum, people here in this forum feel like today is just a dip and a buying opportunity.

Long term, it is a dip and a buying opportunity. Whenever you see forced selling you can assume there will be some opportunities.

In the short term, the buying activity on this forum suggests there is still room to drop further.

Can you explain your latter sentence?

Definitely does not look like a bottom.  Bought some but still at almost half cash (thanks to some wise men here for the timing lessons)

It's not hard to tell when the market is no longer in dip mode.  HPQ and EBAY both announced spin-offs, but the stocks are well below the announcement prices.  Stocks beating earnings do not matter.  Big buyback announcement do not matter.

This is just another big unwind of too much leverage in equities.  It will finish when people throw in the towel and realize if they were wrong about interest rates, they're probably wrong about stocks too.

There was a very long time without a correction. Everyone was waiting for some reason to drive a correction. I have no idea what the market will do in the near term, but European concerns seem overblown. Is Europe really all that different than it was 2 weeks ago when the market was rallying?

I think it is more likely that Europe always sucked and the bond market reflected it.  30-year bunds are down under 1.8% and equities shrugged it off as if it didn't matter.

You don't have 2% 30-year bonds when there is a lot of growth and any worry can cause that tiny growth to disappear.  So if anything I think the big push into European equities to benefit from potential QE was misguided.

Actually, I had a post pretty much near the top of the market on this: http://www.cornerofberkshireandfairfax.ca/forum/general-discussion/naked-puts/msg189834/#msg189834

Options skew and bonds were telling a totally different story than stocks.  But there have been so many false signals in the past couple years that no one really cared.

It will be interesting to see how this shakes out.  We are value investors after all, so this should be extremely beneficial.

Many people on this board have been accumulating cash for awhile now. Even after my two most recent purchases, I'm left with 25% cash. The two stocks I bought were down 30-60% and looked like steals even if I am concerned about general markets going down. Still plenty of ability to average down if my fears are realized.

I don't think you can gauge sentiment by the buying and selling activity here. Most members seem to ignore the macro  simply buy deals they like regardless. Maybe the sizing of the buys and sells changes - i know mine do- but  few people here try to call tops and bottoms

As more bargains become available, the "buy-the-dippers" will put cash to work. This temporarily slows the bottoming process. When the buying is exhausted, the bottom will be formed. My instinct says we haven't seen the bottom yet. I don't try to time the market though. IBM hit my target price, so I bought.

I don't think you can gauge sentiment by the buying and selling activity here. Most members seem to ignore the macro  simply buy deals they like regardless. Maybe the sizing of the buys and sells changes - i know mine do- but  few people here try to call tops and bottoms

Of course. Nobody can call a top or bottom. Markets are too complex.

Interesting idea, Lance.  I suspect you bought due to discount to NAV which is presumably related to Gross' departure (even though Gross was not the manager of this fund).  But, aside from the discount, how do you feel about the prospects for the fund itself and future NAV growth?  As I understand it, the current PDI holdings are basically a leveraged portfolio of non-agency (low credit quality) mortgages. 

I note that Gross himself was buying as recently as Aug 21 @ $32.76.

Thanks.

PDI - PIMCO Dynamic Income Fund.

Thanks,

Lance

Many people on this board have been accumulating cash for awhile now. Even after my two most recent purchases, I'm left with 25% cash. The two stocks I bought were down 30-60% and looked like steals even if I am concerned about general markets going down. Still plenty of ability to average down if my fears are realized.

Well, I meant and I think you can guage by comparing this thread with the "what are you selling today" thread. There is nothing there!

As more bargains become available, the "buy-the-dippers" will put cash to work. This temporarily slows the bottoming process. When the buying is exhausted, the bottom will be formed. My instinct says we haven't seen the bottom yet. I don't try to time the market though. IBM hit my target price, so I bought.

I think your statement applies if we have capitulation. Maybe it was true in 2009 march, but on any random dip, the actions of this thread is not the cause of the market level.