Tesla Model S Named Automobile's "Car of the Year"

Parsad

Wouldn't you ordinarily have to pay a sales tax on vehicles anyways? So coupled with the tax credit you are helping lower your sales tax liability.

Yes, I was taking issue with the meaning of the word "subsidy".  As in, somehow everyone else is subsidizing me.  I already own 3 vehicles.  This is purely a luxury toy.

If I buy this car, American's get more jobs.  Tax receipts go up because my sales tax exceeded the subsidy.

If I don't buy this car, fewer jobs for Americans and less tax revenue.

Where is the subsidy?  Normally, given that I have paid more absolute tax dollars the past few years than the typical American, I must be subsidizing them.  Only they  don't call that a subsidy  :-X

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I was taking issue with the meaning of the word "subsidy".  As in, somehow everyone else is subsidizing me.

Don't feel too bad. Gas and diesel-powered vehicles have received all kinds of direct and indirect subsidies for decades, a lot more than electric cars are likely to ever get.

Just the military costs of securing oil routes and oil producing countries around the world would probably pay for a Model S for everybody in the US...

Signing paperwork today and about to pay the money for my Model S.  But that's not why I'm posting this...

The California sales tax exceeds my tax credits.  So there is no subsidy, don't worry fellow taxpayers.

Sigh...

Recently they brought online new Supercharger stations in Buellton and Atascadero.  So now I can pick up the car at the Fremont factory, get a tour, and easily drive it home without worrying about public charging stations.

What color did you pick Eric?  And the interior?  Very nice car!  Cheers!

It is silver metallic paint with tan interior.  All Glass panoramic roof.

I chose the fastest one (performance edition) and added the "performance plus" package.  As for the rest of the options, I checked all of the boxes  ;D

Nice!  So on the top of the line "performance plus" package, how many miles will you get before charging?  About 275-300 miles?  Cheers!

It won't be 300 miles.  That's for 55 miles per hour  ;)

They have an app for estimating mileage with different speeds and road conditions:

http://www.teslamotors.com/goelectric#range

Just scroll down on that linked page until you see the white car with the turning wheels.  You can adjust the settings and it will simulate the range.

245 mile range on the highway at 65 MPH

352 mile range on the highway at 45 MPH

292 mile range in the city

Signing paperwork today and about to pay the money for my Model S.  But that's not why I'm posting this...

The California sales tax exceeds my tax credits.  So there is no subsidy, don't worry fellow taxpayers.

Sigh...

Recently they brought online new Supercharger stations in Buellton and Atascadero.  So now I can pick up the car at the Fremont factory, get a tour, and easily drive it home without worrying about public charging stations.

I chose the fastest one (performance edition) and added the "performance plus" package.  As for the rest of the options, I checked all of the boxes  ;D

Nice!  So on the top of the line "performance plus" package, how many miles will you get before charging?  About 275-300 miles?  Cheers!

They have an app for estimating mileage with different speeds and road conditions:

Just scroll down on that linked page until you see the white car with the turning wheels.  You can adjust the settings and it will simulate the range.

If they could get that to 400 miles at 65MPH, that would be something.  I think you would start to see a lot of luxury car owners switching to a Tesla, because price-wise it is already competitive with high-end Mercedes and BMW's. 

Enjoy your ride!  Your license plate should say "FFH BAC"!  Cheers!

Sigh...

If they could get that to 400 miles at 65MPH, that would be something.  I think you would start to see a lot of luxury car owners switching to a Tesla, because price-wise it is already competitive with high-end Mercedes and BMW's. 

I wonder if it were LFYAH anyone would get the reference?

If they could get that to 400 miles at 65MPH, that would be something. 

People tend to overestimate the range that they need. Unless you are one of those rare people who constantly drive very far without stopping much, 300 miles is already more than it might seem if you compare directly to a gas-car; by that I mean that electric cars are usually fully charged when you leave the house in the morning, so you always have a "full tank", while gas cars are only charged every X number of days, so you leave the house on many days with probably a lot less than 300 miles of potential range yet that's not a problem.

If they could get that to 400 miles at 65MPH, that would be something. 

People tend to overestimate the range that they need. Unless you are one of those rare people who constantly drive very far without stopping much, 300 miles is already more than it might seem if you compare directly to a gas-car; by that I mean that electric cars are usually fully charged when you leave the house in the morning, so you always have a "full tank", while gas cars are only charged every X number of days, so you leave the house on many days with probably a lot less than 300 miles of potential range yet that's not a problem.

The extra range only becomes necessary for a road trip.  Given the fast swap of batteries in the Model S, then perhaps you only need to have the bigger battery in your car when you are planning a long drive. 

But the extra acceleration would be mindboggling.  The extra acceleration comes from a bigger battery (that's why mine goes to 60 in 4.2 seconds).

So when a 400 mile batter, or 500 mile, or 700 mile... etc...  when those batteries are available they only need to let us "rent" them at a Tesla battery swap station.  The swap takes only a couple of minutes (it's done robotically).

So you have those available at the supercharger stations.

And check out the full list of stations planned for 2015.  It's impressive:

http://www.teslamotors.com/supercharger

Move the slider control to 2015 on that linked page.

I read an interesting article a couple weeks back about how states are considering levying special taxes on electric cars.  The argument is that as more hybrids and electric cars are on the road, the less taxes they get from gas sales. And well -- since these electric cars don't need gas -- they essentially get to drive on highways and roads without paying their fair share...  I thought we wanted people to drive cars that were good for the environment .....

I read an interesting article a couple weeks back about how states are considering levying special taxes on electric cars.  The argument is that as more hybrids and electric cars are on the road, the less taxes they get from gas sales. And well -- since these electric cars don't need gas -- they essentially get to drive on highways and roads without paying their fair share...  I thought we wanted people to drive cars that were good for the environment .....

Maybe they should tax tires.

Sigh...

I wonder if it were LFYAH anyone would get the reference?

With your history that would be the perfect plate.  Wondering how may people would asjk you what it ment?

Eric,

I bought one also, all black with tan interior.

Cheers

You bloody bandit!  I just talked to you a few days ago, and you didn't tell me you bought one.  Don't fly to the LA Pabrai Funds AGM...drive, and then you can take me for a ride in it.  I'll come to the LA meeting if you bring it up this year.  Cheers!

That's silly.  They don't have higher taxes for fuel efficient cars.

They should be encouraging Hummers and big V8 muscle cars in order to boost highway tax revenue.

Sanjeev,

Sorry about that. Tried Ravi's Model S which he had preordered and found no comparison  with other luxury cars. Anyhow come to LA and I will pick you up at the airport in the  Tesla which you can drive for the rest of the trip.

Cheers

Sanjeev, you should get yourself a tesla  ;D

Too flashy...you have to be a LEAP's and margin guy to really drive one of them!  Just like the founder!  ;D

I'm too cheap as well.  I follow Buffett's philosophy...I don't want to own a yacht, but I have plenty of friends who have one if I want to go for a ride.  Cheers!

Sanjeev,

Sorry about that. Tried Ravi's Model S which he had preordered and found no comparison  with other luxury cars. Anyhow come to LA and I will pick you up at the airport in the  Tesla which you can drive for the rest of the trip.

Cheers

We were going to Chicago this year, but if you have the Tesla, we will switch and come to LA!  Cheers!

My local utility has a special rate plan for electric vehicle owners.  9 cents per kWh between 12 am and 6 am, and a whopping 47 cents between 10 am and 6pm.

Costco sells a 5,000 watt solar system with racking and inverter for $13,000.  Now if you assume the Federal tax credit will cover installation. Then the repayment period on the system will be less than 2 years.  Beyond that, tax free gravy.

So I'm scheduling the pool pump to start at midnight.  Hilarious!

Forgot to mention -- we don't need air conditioning this close to the ocean.

My local utility has a special rate plan for electric vehicle owners.  9 cents per kWh between 12 am and 6 am, and a whopping 47 cents between 10 am and 6pm.

Costco sells a 5,000 watt solar system with racking and inverter for $13,000.  Now if you assume the Federal tax credit will cover installation. Then the repayment period on the system will be less than 2 years.  Beyond that, tax free gravy.

Eric you need to write a book or start your own show.  Too much great information!  Cheers!

Have you looked at SolarCity?

Of course, it's probably better for you to buy the system outright since you have the capital... But maybe they offer something that could interest you.

I'm not sure if this has been posted on here yet - it was just put on YouTube a few days ago.

How the Tesla Model S is Made:

I know nothing about manufacturing so maybe this is mostly common stuff, but I found the video to be absolutely stunning. And the robots are extremely capable. It's so cool to see how it all goes together. Literally from coils of aluminium to a Tesla. Amazing. I really would love to own a Tesla.

Of course, it's probably better for you to buy the system outright since you have the capital... But maybe they offer something that could interest you.

I'm also wondering if I can get a battery backup system for the house... and then charge it between 12am and 6am for the rate of 9 cents per kWh.  Then during the day I can draw that electricity back out of the battery during the hours (10am and 6pm) when I'm getting charged 47 cents per kWh.

That's a 5 bagger every day!

Solar City sells residential batteries made by Tesla.

I'm also wondering if I can get a battery backup system for the house... and then charge it between 12am and 6am for the rate of 9 cents per kWh.  Then during the day I can draw that electricity back out of the battery during the hours (10am and 6pm) when I'm getting charged 47 cents per kWh.

That's a 5 bagger every day!

Solar City sells residential batteries made by Tesla.

You'll need a shitload of batteries to store energy for a whole day usage, plus maintenance of batteries and environmental/safety hazard. If I were you I'd go with a solar system and limited batteries.

BeerBaron

You'll need a shitload of batteries to store energy for a whole day usage, plus maintenance of batteries and environmental/safety hazard. If I were you I'd go with a solar system and limited batteries.

BeerBaron

A lot of people go off-grid with lead-acid batteries. With advanced li-ion batteries like Tesla's, it wouldn't be that many. Of course, anyone going off grid should first make sure that their energy usage has been cut down as much as possible first (ie. energy efficient appliances, good house insulation, LED/CFL lighting, etc) to keep the need for batteries to a minimum.

So if Eric doesn't go off-grid and keeps a grid tie, he could do with a lot fewer batteries and just get the extra power he needs on peak days from the grid yet get most of his power from batteries on normal days (I'm sure with historical data of his power usage he could do the math and figure out the optimal amount of battery storage for max ROI).