Do you plan to continue holding Berkshire once Buffett is gone?

Milu

Don´t cut the flowers, to water the weed.

I got rich through Berkshire, so why should I sell? That doesn´t make sense. 🙂

Berkshire has a lot of structural advantages and is very good at capital allocation and very rational and Munger and Buffett advise their 

children not to sell. It´s a No-Brainer not to sell (of course also because of taxes).

Don´t kill your golden goose.

The money managers always want that people sell their Berkshire, probably for their self-interest. 

I have heard a 100 times that this and this stock is smaller, so it has to outperform Berkshire.

Most of the times it doesn´t work out and it ends badly. 😉

On 10/15/2024 at 2:09 PM, Eldad said:

I have decided to go from about 15% to about 5% over the next couple of years. 

I started to think about how Charlie and Warren kind of brag about being lazy and how it helped them (hands off approach to subs, only buy during bear markets etc.) But then you start to realize that all of the successors sort of fell into their lap.

1. Ted paid millions to eat lunch with Buffett

2. Todd cold called Charlie over and over

3. Greg worked at MidAmerican 

4. Jain, random introduction

If you notice almost everyone in Warren’s stories of past friends, family, etc. is “extraordinarily talented” at this that or the other. 

I just don’t know if he actually knows if these guys are the best or if these are just the best he knows. 

"I try to buy stock in businesses that are so wonderful that an idiot can run them. Because sooner or later, one will." 

One would hope Berkshire has taken a similar approach to their own business. With the companies they own/have stakes in, and the amount of cash on hand, I don't think there will be any reason to run for the door when Buffett passes. Money buys time and gives options. Ted, Todd, Greg, and Jain (although not young themselves) have plenty of time to figure things out and communicate with their shareholder base. I highly doubt it will be a silent in the dark transition, I would imagine first order would be to assure the unique shareholder base that they plan to continue the legacy of Buffett and Munger. 

2 hours ago, Castanza said:

"I try to buy stock in businesses that are so wonderful that an idiot can run them. Because sooner or later, one will." 

One would hope Berkshire has taken a similar approach to their own business. With the companies they own/have stakes in, and the amount of cash on hand, I don't think there will be any reason to run for the door when Buffett passes. Money buys time and gives options. Ted, Todd, Greg, and Jain (although not young themselves) have plenty of time to figure things out and communicate with their shareholder base. I highly doubt it will be a silent in the dark transition, I would imagine first order would be to assure the unique shareholder base that they plan to continue the legacy of Buffett and Munger. 

Good post.

I agree.  With the amount of cash that has been freed up and how long Greg has been able to sit next to and learn from WEB I'm positive things will be fine.  My biggest concern is who will be taking over for Ajit.  That's kind of the motor behind this whole thing.  Hopefully he has had his own "Greg" sitting aside him as well these last few years!