Oy Vey Neri!

Parsad

"The good news, however, is that in only 24 hours, Neri’s lawyers use the Wayback Machine to check MIT's plagiarism policy back when Neri wrote her thesis in 2009. It turns out that MIT's Academic Integrity Handbook did not require citations or even mention Wikipedia until 2013, four years after Neri wrote her dissertation and used Wikipedia for the definitions of 15 words and/or terms. Bear in mind that 2009 was still the early days for Wikipedia"

The above is laughable. Even if copying from Wikipedia was not covered in MIT's plagiarism policy at the time it clearly goes against the spirit of the plagiarism policy and even a high school teacher would be pissed if a student copy pasted segments of his homework from Wikipedia. And this is a PhD thesis at MIT. At best you can say it is sloppiness and laziness on her part. Deserving of a retrospective slap on the wrist but clearly nothing on the scale of what Gay has been accused of. 

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Whatever you think of the debacle, I think we can all probably agree that Ackman’s Twitter feed in the last day has become very cringey.  I just can’t take these Gladiator references 🙃

Edited by Sweet

5 minutes ago, Dalal.Holdings said:

Slick Willie providing a live demonstration of the Streisand Effect.

His wife must be thrilled with him.

His long winded posts evoke Shakespeare: "Brevity is the soul of wit"

You are billionaire and spent your time picking fights on Twitter / X. Seems like a very dumb thing to do with your time if you are that rich and independent.

Biden and Ackman anecdote:

At one point, he asked me if I wanted to go outside and fight. I thought he was joking. I had no idea what set him off, nor did anyone else at the table. I was nothing other than respectful and polite to Biden at that dinner.

What if everyone is human and biased, oy vey.

• 4 weeks later...

Ackman continues his blitzkrieg on Twitter. This time Ackman is angry at the Washington Post:

The Washington Post journalist didn't call him a nazi but mentioned his ”blitzkriegs of loud shareholder letters”.

Ackman on DEI:

DEI is not about diversity in its purest form, but rather it is a political advocacy movement on behalf of certain groups that are deemed oppressed under DEI’s own methodology. Under DEI, one’s degree of oppression is determined based upon where one resides on a so-called intersectional pyramid of oppression where whites, Jews, and Asians are deemed oppressors, and a subset of people of color, LGBTQ people, and/or women are deemed to be oppressed. Under DEI’s ideology, any policy, program, educational system, economic system, grading system, admission policy, (and even climate change due its disparate impact on geographies and the people that live there), etc. that leads to unequal outcomes among people of different skin colors is deemed racist. As a result, according to DEI any merit-based program, system, or organization which has or generates outcomes for different races that are at variance with the proportion these different races represent in the population at large is by DEI’s ideology deemed racist. In fact, DEI itself is racist because reverse racism is racism, even if it is against white people (and it is remarkable that I even need to point this out). Racism against white people has become considered acceptable by many not to be racism, or alternatively, it is deemed acceptable racism. While this is, of course, absurd, it has become the prevailing view in many universities around the country.

Ackman on ESG:

Because the ESG movement has caused enormous harm as it has led to disinvestment in nuclear and carbon-based energy, and to our defense companies. This disinvestment effort has impaired our energy independence, led to more global environmental damage as production has shifted to regions of the world which care less about the environment than we do, enriched our enemies, reduced our defense capabilities, and has been one of the proximate catalysts for Russia’s invasion of Ukraine.

IMO, ESG and DEI are noble causes, and Goodhart's Law apply to both.

^^^ DEI is having a difficult time, because people have figured out it is completely racist.

Everyone's DEI hero, Dr Ibram X Kendi's most famous quote: "The only remedy for past discrimination is present discrimination"

It's hardly a noble cause, and has been abused by race hustlers and has served to divide the country by categorizing groups by the color of their skin.

35 minutes ago, cubsfan said:

It's hardly a noble cause, and has been abused by race hustlers and has served to divide the country by categorizing groups by the color of their skin.

Officially at least, there are good intentions behind both ideas. However, Goodhart's Law and a lot of other human biases and prejudices apply:

image.thumb.png.dc5e866ec9af76f9fb5968f9d4ec7035.png

1 minute ago, james22 said:

The issue is never the issue. The issue is always the revolution.

Yes, capitalism is inherently unequal and could definitely lead to revolution.

^^^ You are pointing out that the DEI field is ripe for abuse, and that is correct. The abuse has been widespread, pernicious and worst of all institutionalized.

DEI is built on an illogical foundation. Dr Kendi's core solution to racism and racial discrimination is even more racism and racial discrimination.

The absurdity of this notion boggles the mind.

Reminds me of the Warren Buffett quote

“When they have any doubt about whether a particular decision or action is right or wrong, they should imagine how they would feel if it were reported the following day in their newspaper, with the assumption that the write-up is authored by a smart but unfriendly reporter and is read by their family, friends and neighbors.”

6 hours ago, formthirteen said:

Ackman continues his blitzkrieg on Twitter. This time Ackman is angry at the Washington Post:

The Washington Post journalist didn't call him a nazi but mentioned his ”blitzkriegs of loud shareholder letters”.

Ackman on DEI:

Ackman on ESG:

IMO, ESG and DEI are noble causes, and Goodhart's Law apply to both.

Read as much as I could from his Twitter post.  He’s right about the media unfortunately.