$KTBA (AT&T/ BellSouth, BBB) 7% '95 in USA: 9.35% Current Yield, 9.35% Yield to Maturity

cm2

Why bother with T dividends when you can buy $KTBA (AT&T/ BellSouth, BBB) 7% '95 in USA: 9.35% Current Yield, 9.35% Yield to Maturity, 25% discount to par value, sole underlying *BBB* bond BellSouth 7s '95 cusip 079867AP2 is 100 bid. AT&T has previously tried to buy back entire issue, 3rd parties are trying to steal from retail https://tinyurl.com/3nt74ru4 https://tinyurl.com/ycxdac2x

$KTBA pays .875 on 6/1, 12/1

"Expert Market" only - no discount electronic brokers

Edited by cm2
pricing change

• cm2 changed the title to $KTBA (AT&T/ BellSouth, BBB) 7% '95 in USA: 9.35% Current Yield, 9.35% Yield to Maturity

crazy. I basically ignored this whole expert market thread some months back I think because I felt like I had no reason to figure this out, and now of course I'm intrigued. I feel like using 6% margin to buy 9.65% YTM BBB paper would be a pretty solid play. 

3 hours ago, Spekulatius said:

This is a packaged bond - it trades like a stock. Somebody is trading it - likely in Expert markets.

Yeah, there are potentially 2 ways to buy it: You are authorized to trade in the Expert Market because you are a market maker or something like that, or a brokerage firm is allowing you to buy it through them. I used to inquire if there was some way for an individual to get access to the expert market on their own, but no one seemed to know the answer, so I let it go.

I know there was another thread on this, but when did the expert markets become a thing? I was buying all sorts of nanocap shitcos and weird otc securities and it was never an issue. I haven’t touched anything like this since maybe 2015 or 2016 if I had to guess, did some regulatory hurdles come up in the meantime? 

37 minutes ago, RedLion said:

I know there was another thread on this, but when did the expert markets become a thing? I was buying all sorts of nanocap shitcos and weird otc securities and it was never an issue. I haven’t touched anything like this since maybe 2015 or 2016 if I had to guess, did some regulatory hurdles come up in the meantime? 

I believe in either 2020 or 2021.

On 6/9/2023 at 10:42 AM, whatstheofficerproblem said:

Agree with @Spekulatius on this. When you're buying you have to pay the ask, however. On Schwab, it's a 6.67% yield and priced at $104.86. I'd also be 105 when it matures.

KTBA "Bonds" trade into the bid almost every day...you just need to make/advertise the best bid...topping the bid by 1/4 point has v little effect on yield.  
These traded almost as high as $30 during period of low/no rates.  Inexperienced investors can always make an unlimited number of excuses for their own failure to seize opportunities when they present themselves.

These are gold.  

Edited by cm2

On 6/9/2023 at 11:03 PM, whatstheofficerproblem said:

@Parsad Any plans on making a separate section for Fixed Income? Where we can discuss bonds, debt and munis?

I personally hope that day will be a day I don't experience. And I don't consider my self suicidal.

This is basically a place on the internet for stockpickers to meet. 

All the crypto stuff allowed on here only outside the investment ideas forum may suffice, just like it is possible to talk about the weather in the big apple and it's implications, expectations to future development in inflation and rates.

I hope that bonds will suffer the same miserable existence as cryptocurencies here on CoBF.

I'm not like Mr. Munger - All I want to know is when I get laid next time.

On 6/9/2023 at 6:12 PM, RedLion said:

The two years we lost all our freedoms it seems.  

At least I have a California legal potato gun to protect my family. 

Of all the tyrannies that affect mankind, tyranny in nano caps is the worst. - Thomas Paine*

* he might have said "religion" instead of "nano caps" but I think if he had an interactive brokers account he'd agree with my edit.

6 hours ago, John Hjorth said:

I personally hope that day will be a day I don't experience. And I don't consider my self suicidal.

This is basically a place on the internet for stockpickers to meet. 

All the crypto stuff allowed on here only outside the investment ideas forum may suffice, just like it is possible to talk about the weather in the big apple and it's implications, expectations to future development in inflation and rates.

I hope that bonds will suffer the same miserable existence as cryptocurencies here on CoBF.

I'm not like Mr. Munger - All I want to know is when I get laid next time.

Bonds are basically just stocks without voting rights, and even easier to value. The market is darker and spreads are wider, but that's opportunity for a value investor.

13 minutes ago, ValueArb said:

Of all the tyrannies that affect mankind, tyranny in nano caps is the worst. - Thomas Paine*

* he might have said "religion" instead of "nano caps" but I think if he had an interactive brokers account he'd agree with my edit.

Hahaha

Fair amount of $KTBA trading this week "Expert Market" only - no discount, electronic brokers

Merrill Lynch, other full service brokers ok

Edited by cm2