Substack Subscriptions - How To Manage Them to Your Own Personal Benefit

John Hjorth

This has been on my mind for while. To me, personally, it has become gradually worse over time. I can't really pinpoint towards time, but to me : It's happening : *BS* and nonsense posted there about every day.

So called "writers" running out of steam, now providing i.e. "Berkshire bits" - of the week - about what Mr. Buffett might have said some 20 years ago at an AGM, or what do I know.

Lately, I've become really tired of all that stuff hitting me, making me choose to disconnect to several Substack accounts.

How about you? - What do you do? - And what are your thoughts about it?

-Thank you in advance for sharing your perceptions, opinions and insigths in this topic.

Have a nice weekend.

Edited by John Hjorth

46 minutes ago, John Hjorth said:

This has been on my mind for while. To me, personally, it has become gradually worse over time. I can't really pinpoint towards time, but to me : It's happening : *BS* and nonsense posted there about every day.

So called "writers" running out of steam, now providing i.e. "Berkshire bits" - of the week - about what Mr. Buffett might have said some 20 years ago at an AGM, or what do I know.

Lately, I've become really tired of all that stuff hitting me, making me choose to disconnect to several Substack accounts.

How about you? - What do you do? - And what are your thoughts about it?

-Thank you in advance for sharing your perceptions, opinions and insigths in this topic.

Have a nice weekend.

I don't go on Substack, I avoid Twitter like the plague,  and I try to avoid articles that give their take on what Buffett said.  Like everything in life, it's usually better to go to the primary source.  I've got Buffett's chairman's letters in the hardbound book and it's a great learning tool.  It seems all media is moving towards shorter, click baity content. Twitter is the worst for the written word, and Tik Tok for video.  Maybe you should make a conscious effort to move in the other direction towards long-form content.  

There are legendary investors who have written books (Peter Lynch, Ben Graham, Phil Fisher, Phil Caret, Joel Greenblatt, Einhorn, Tillinghast, Howard Marks) and I think those are great sources. I read a lot of biographies.  Currently I'm reading one on Marvin Bower (responsible for taking McKinsey from two offices to an international powerhouse). In the past I've read books on a particular industry (shipping) and I have one in my queue about graphene now. I don't know if I'll ever use the knowledge, but it's easier to just keep accumulating knowledge and then having it ready if something comes up then to pass up an opportunity because by the time you get up to speed on something the opportunity passed. 

• Like 1

Have read a good few free substacks / seeking alpha.

Macro commentary IMO is pointless, nearly always bearish, and nearly always wrong.

Some good analysis on specific stocks, but never bought a stock after reading any substack etc.  To have the conviction to own and hold a company, I need to build my own view about the company.

Edited by Sweet

Please leave Seeking Alpha subscriptions out of this topic, if you want to reply here.

Please start your own separate topic for discussion of Seeking Alpha subscribtions here on CoBF, if you feel inclined.

The subsciption framework on Substack is materially different compared to the one used at Seeking Alpha, at least ATM for both, compared.

-So please, - No *BS*, - no long song offtopic here - from the warm countries.

-Thus.

Thank you in advance.

Edited by John Hjorth

I have some free subscriptions on substack and they sent me email summaries. i sometimes open them and I am almost always disappointed with the content.

I never found a substack that I would be willing to pay for. Some do have good takes but the issue is that writers run out of steam, as you noted.

Thank you for sharing, @Spekulatius,

Somehow, there was a "nerve" contained in your post above, that simply was not present in my last post above.

Thinking about it - a bit about it, at least  - it is about four Substack accounts sharing with me every time Mr. Buffett has been buying i.e. OXY [, or visiting the toilet at office]. I'm pretty sure I personally would end up constipated, if this was about me.

Edited by John Hjorth

36 minutes ago, formthirteen said:

Thank you for the tip. Reading it now and found interesting things already:

image.thumb.png.0b6aa04d23215afa2060d1290f1367cf.png

GOOGL 🧐

I understand these thoughts, but if you earn more than you advertise for it’s still good for a business. Fewer searches will often mean higher click prices or businesses will use their money on other advertising. I agree that Google search is at huge risk, but they still have opportunities with their ad network. I don’t own any of these, but yeah, I would prefer Microsoft at this moment and I have recently asked Chat GPT questions that I would Google earlier. More information searching though.

I am a bit biased, because I write my own substack (though free, and will always stay that way - but maybe I add a support tier as a few have asked). I was subscribed to quite a lot of them, several paid - but I often stopped subscribing to them. IMO a regular schedule creates as you already pointed out, content gaps and these are not easily filled with content. 

I was subscribed to around 50 substacks, not it is just around 15. 

On 4/21/2023 at 12:37 PM, John Hjorth said:

So called "writers" running out of steam, now providing i.e. "Berkshire bits" - of the week - about what Mr. Buffett might have said some 20 years ago at an AGM

I write a free newsletter, primarily to promote a book I wrote last year. I purposely try not to overly rely on Buffett and Munger concepts because they have been done to death. But the first time I mentioned them in a post, it got 10x the views that I normally get. I think a lot of this is a function of giving the people what they want. Many of us have been steeped in this stuff for decades but we forget that there are many people out there discovering this wisdom for the first time.