Productivity Hacks

BG2008

Sous Vide everything. Plan in advance when you want to eat, toss the food in the pot, and check on it every so often. Wait a couple of hours for it to cook. Let it rest/give it an ice bath to stop the cooking process. For meat throw it on the a very hot grill/skillet for a minute each side. Chicken I usually broil 12 minutes in the oven. Probably 3-5 minutes of idle work for restaurant quality food.

I toss some eggs in for boiled eggs in the morning, usually will put in a bag of chicken, salmon, or steak around 3pm. And I'm ready to eat around 6.

For hard boiled eggs, nothing beats putting eggs in the Instant pot on steam for 4, 5,6, 7 minutes for different degrees of runny-ness

I'm 14 minutes at 167 degrees for eggs on the sous vide.

The effects are physiological and not placebic.

If you greatly reduce your sugar and carbohydrate intake, you will not develop type 2, and probably not type 3, diabetes. Type 2 diabetes is a modern disease caused by our diets. When I reduced, by at least 90%, my sugar intake I no longer had bouts of sluggishness during the day. This is not placebic as it can be shown to track with blood glucose levels. Keto, low carb, and Virta diets do work at reducing blood glucose levels and prevent, or greatly improve, type 2 diabetes. Sugar is a toxin.

https://www.ucsf.edu/news/2014/11/120751/ucsf-launches-sugar-science-initiative

I intermittent fast. I try to only have caloric intake between noon and 8:00 pm, so I fast 16 hours every 24 hours. One benefit of intermittent fasting is your body goes into a waste removal process called autophagy where cells digest and remove old and dysfunctional proteins built up inside your cells. There are many other benefits to intermittent fasting.

The most important thing you can do is exercise. I work out an hour every day. Two days a week I lift weights, two days a week I do intervals, and then some days I do my hard work out, Tae Kwon Do.

The benefits of moderate exercise are well known, but it is nowhere near enough. You have to incorporate resistance training, hence my weight-lifting and intervals. If you don’t you will develop sarcopenia—loss of skeletal muscle. Moderate exercise only stimulates type I muscle fibers that are age resistant and not type II muscle fibers that are age sensitive and need nurturing.

Moderate exercise only draws energy from your bloodstream sources, liver glycogen and some fat stores, sources outside your muscles. To tap, and deplete, the glycogen stored in your muscles you need to do intense training. If you don’t, the glycogen in your muscles could have been there for decades! Lifting weights flushes out stagnant stores of fats and sugars. The two minutes after a set your muscles soak up new glycogen from your blood stream. After intense exercise insulin resistant muscles become insulin receptive for a day or two so your body handles meals more normally.

Skeletal muscle is the body’s main source of amino acid reserve for the brain and immune systems and for injury and wound healing. The reason why breaking a hip as an elderly person is often fatal is that they don’t have the source of protein for repair because they have lost too much skeletal muscle.

I am 67 and as strong as I ever was. When I am 87 I plan to be as strong, or stronger, than I am today.

If you greatly reduce your sugar and carbohydrate intake, you will not develop type 2, and probably not type 3, diabetes. Type 2 diabetes is a modern disease caused by our diets. When I reduced, by at least 90%, my sugar intake I no longer had bouts of sluggishness during the day. This is not placebic as it can be shown to track with blood glucose levels. Keto, low carb, and Virta diets do work at reducing blood glucose levels and prevent, or greatly improve, type 2 diabetes. Sugar is a toxin.

I intermittent fast. I try to only have caloric intake between noon and 8:00 pm, so I fast 16 hours every 24 hours. One benefit of intermittent fasting is your body goes into a waste removal process called autophagy where cells digest and remove old and dysfunctional proteins built up inside your cells. There are many other benefits to intermittent fasting.

The most important thing you can do is exercise. I work out an hour every day. Two days a week I lift weights, two days a week I do intervals, and then some days I do my hard work out, Tae Kwon Do.

The benefits of moderate exercise are well known, but it is nowhere near enough. You have to incorporate resistance training, hence my weight-lifting and intervals. If you don’t you will develop sarcopenia—loss of skeletal muscle. Moderate exercise only stimulates type I muscle fibers that are age resistant and not type II muscle fibers that are age sensitive and need nurturing.

Moderate exercise only draws energy from your bloodstream sources, liver glycogen and some fat stores, sources outside your muscles. To tap, and deplete, the glycogen stored in your muscles you need to do intense training. If you don’t, the glycogen in your muscles could have been there for decades! Lifting weights flushes out stagnant stores of fats and sugars. The two minutes after a set your muscles soak up new glycogen from your blood stream. After intense exercise insulin resistant muscles become insulin receptive for a day or two so your body handles meals more normally.

Skeletal muscle is the body’s main source of amino acid reserve for the brain and immune systems and for injury and wound healing. The reason why breaking a hip as an elderly person is often fatal is that they don’t have the source of protein for repair because they have lost too much skeletal muscle.

I am 67 and as strong as I ever was. When I am 87 I plan to be as strong, or stronger, than I am today.

Your post is interesting and FWIW i agree with the general direction.

The degree of confidence reached between data and conclusion is a personal affair but personal mental discomfort was reached above two standard deviations with "The reason why breaking a hip as an elderly person is often fatal is that they don’t have the source of protein for repair because they have lost too much skeletal muscle."

Just in case you're not aware, the following is what i consider the best summarizing work (which happens also to be widely recognized and quoted). It is comprehensive, solid, balanced and can contribute to mental gymnastics.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1552526015001971

Your post is interesting and FWIW i agree with the general direction.

The degree of confidence reached between data and conclusion is a personal affair but personal mental discomfort was reached above two standard deviations with "The reason why breaking a hip as an elderly person is often fatal is that they don’t have the source of protein for repair because they have lost too much skeletal muscle."

Just in case you're not aware, the following is what i consider the best summarizing work (which happens also to be widely recognized and quoted). It is comprehensive, solid, balanced and can contribute to mental gymnastics.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1552526015001971

Thanks for the article Cigarbutt, I look forward to reading it.

Sacropenia is probably the reason for the broken hip in the first place, including the cause of the fall. As a person looses strength they are not able to recover their balance and prevent a fall.

Thanks for the posts everyone. 

Funny how many posts on food there are....

Here is a quick list that I try to stick to:

1.  Try to check email 1x per day.  (they can wait)

2.  To do list by importance and stick to it.

3.  Turn off phone alerts, texts, etc.  All that stuffs kills my productivity and adds extra stress.

4.  Invest in quality - companies, tools, material objects that will lasts as it minimizes buying time. 

5.  Research primary sources.

By not wanting, there is calm..

Guest cherzeca

3.  Turn off phone alerts, texts, etc.  All that stuffs kills my productivity and adds extra stress.

4.  Invest in quality - companies, tools, material objects that will lasts as it minimizes buying time. 

great list, but when my wife texts/emails, it cant wait

4.  Is a great one for investing. It minimizes the number of decisions that one needs to make.

Too funny about the wife! 

I tell people to call me if it is urgent (and a true real emergency is extraordinarily rare).

Deep work by Cal Newport was a great book for those that have not read it.

Too about the wife funny! 

I tell people to call me if it is urgent (and a true real emergency is extraordinarily rare).

What's a good book on sleep?  To help you sleep better that is.

I have been eating similarly (low carb verging on keto, periodic fasting of up to 48 hours, black coffee in the morning) and my thoughts are nearly identical. The amount of time fasting frees up is incredible.

My experience has been that response to carbs is very individual, and can vary widely even among immediate family members. I tolerate carbs poorly and have been eating low carb almost continuously since way back when Dr Atkins was still alive.

Being Chinese, I love all types of carbs, rice, noodles, pasta, bread, etc.  Heck, I love food in general.  But carbs will literally sap hours of productivity from me.  I am amazed how I used to get work done in HS.  The sheer amount of carbs that I use to eat is terrifying and I am surprised that I am not diabetic.  I mean literally a 1/2 to a whole quart of rice for lunch and dinner.  I would almost pass out after lunch everyday.  Protein and fat do not affect me the same way.  But I have notice that feeding in general takes away at least 2 hours of productivity due to preparation and the stupor/need to veg. 

Ha, I need to look into Rucking.

BG - I know you used to wrestle - and assume you are still working out occasionally.  I'll mention what helped me a lot. Keep some of those carbs as fuel that will help you build muscle. Try protein supplements - pure protein like Optimum Nutrition's 100% Protein Isolate.  Use it as a shake.  You get 30g protein, 1G carb, no fat..    It's great stuff - try it for a week - 3 shakes a day.  Especially have one when you are a little tired/losing energy.  Before a meal is great.  It hits your system right away. Helps suppress appetite. Lots of protein with no fat or carbs.  Great stuff for a training/weight lifting regiment.  Been using it for 3 years now. Very happy with the transition from fat to muscle - and a lot of energy.  Check it out. You can get the stuff at Costco.  Premier Protien liquid works real well if you are too lazy to make shakes.  On a training routine - you want 1g of protein per pound per day. So 200 lb guy should be getting 200g protein. The hard part is how do you get the needed protein without the fat. This does the trick. Just an idea.

Guest cherzeca

I have found that I have to go to bed only when I am very tired, not when the clock says I should go to sleep.  so a good book that you read "past your bedtime" is a good book that puts you to sleep.  also, try to get up super early for a few days...you will feel draggy during the day, but that may put you into a good rhythm to get you sleepy when your clock says you should go to sleep...farmers have no trouble sleeping

Social Media Wednesday’s- Social media can be a very useful tool, but is too often used as a form of passive mindless entertainment instead. Social media can help a person keep up with friends, stay informed on topics they care about, remind them of important upcoming events, etc. By limiting my use of social media strictly to Wednesday I have been able to use this service as a tool as opposed to a time sucking boredom cure. I chose Wednesday because I am typically very busy on Wednesday. This forces me to use my time more efficiently when I’m on social media. Exceptions to the rule are: This website, I can look up a persons name for spelling or if I forgot a persons name, and I use twitter once or twice per day as a news source. Thank y’all for the other ideas on this thread.

Why we sleep

https://www.cornerofberkshireandfairfax.ca/forum/books/why-we-sleep-matthew-walker/