Coronavirus

spartansaver

Yes! Everyone who isn't hiding under a table in their basement is part of the problem....LOL. Just like how the word "savage" being used to describe violent, looting protesters(many times over, documented in the media as being of a variety of skin colors, even whites!) is racist and in need of issuing an apology! You really hit the nail on the head KCLarkin. Please let me know what other words you commander from Mariam Webster and throw in your big, blue, liberal bucket of racist words. Jeez, it never ends.

Greg, I don't need a thesaurus to know you are a racist.

But just so are fully aware of how racist this word is:

"'This word is our N-word': Indigenous teacher asks Urban Planet to drop racial slur"

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/offensive-term-remove-urban-planet-1.5305540

• Replies 8.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes! Everyone who isn't hiding under a table in their basement is part of the problem....LOL. Just like how the word "savage" being used to describe violent, looting protesters(many times over, documented in the media as being of a variety of skin colors, even whites!) is racist and in need of issuing an apology! You really hit the nail on the head KCLarkin. Please let me know what other words you commander from Mariam Webster and throw in your big, blue, liberal bucket of racist words. Jeez, it never ends.

"'This word is our N-word': Indigenous teacher asks Urban Planet to drop racial slur"

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/offensive-term-remove-urban-planet-1.5305540

Does he also chew with his mouth open?  Is consideration of others a 'Liberal' value?

Does he also chew with his mouth open?  Is consideration of others a 'Liberal' value?

The word "Liberal" has become a slur with nebulous filthy connotations.

People who toss this word around do so because they're told to.

Children aren't born fascists, they're herded into it.

If the government couldn't magically create money, would you guys be in favor of a shut down then?

So, your options would be 1) keep the economy open to (hopefully) avoid a depression 2) shut down and probably have a depression

Lockdowns were required due to incompetence. As Sweden shows, the economy is impacted by the virus whether you lockdown or not. The best way to reduce the economic impact is to take the virus seriously in the early stages. Lockdowns are a blunt, destructive force. They are the "break glass in case of emergency" option.

Orthopa, Gregmal, Cubsfan, Trump, De Blasio, and the rest of the "it's just a flu crowd" are a big part of this problem. If everyone had overreacted in February, none of this would have happened. Now the US is in the worst possible spot, they acted just enough to destroy the economy but not enough to contain the virus.

So what do you think the alternative would have been instead of an initial lockdown? We didn't have enough tests. We didn't have enough PPE. If you stop flights from the infected countries you're considered a "racist".

“Now, of course there are those cynics among us who may think that Trump is not that stupid. Perhaps he is making a smart strategic move to retain power by postponing elections indefinitely and using the pandemic as an excuse.”

Well Cubs, since you don't think Trump is that smart, I guess you and I agree that Trump is just stupid.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“People unfortunately die. This is part of life. I wish this wasn't the case, but it is. You arent griping about car accidents..totally avoidable. Cancer kills tons of people. We haver a pandemic. A virus with no vaccine yet. This stuff is inevitable. “

Given your previous statements of  “Its just the flu” and you would only “become concerned if there were  a few dozen deaths in the whole US.” now that the US is heading for 120,000 deaths and rising, are you concerned yet?

It would seem that you simply can’t grasp the fact that the situation may become far worse unless it is taken more seriously than it has been in the US. I wonder if your attitude would change if some people close to you comes down with the virus? Unfortunately, as this virus spreads the chances of that are increasing.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And for both of you guys, if you think that the country is doing such a great job, we are still waiting for your explanation of :

Why are US deaths still rising when other countries have been getting it under control?

Why does the US account for nearly 30% of world wide deaths?

You guys never actually face the tough questions. Deflect, deflect, deflect because it seems you have no answer.

“Now, of course there are those cynics among us who may think that Trump is not that stupid. Perhaps he is making a smart strategic move to retain power by postponing elections indefinitely and using the pandemic as an excuse.”

Well Cubs, since you don't think Trump is that smart, I guess you and I agree that Trump is just stupid.

“People unfortunately die. This is part of life. I wish this wasn't the case, but it is. You arent griping about car accidents..totally avoidable. Cancer kills tons of people. We haver a pandemic. A virus with no vaccine yet. This stuff is inevitable. “

Given your previous statements of  “Its just the flu” and you would only “become concerned if there were  a few dozen deaths in the whole US.” now that the US is heading for 120,000 deaths and rising, are you concerned yet?

It would seem that you simply can’t grasp the fact that the situation may become far worse unless it is taken more seriously than it has been in the US. I wonder if your attitude would change if some people close to you comes down with the virus? Unfortunately, as this virus spreads the chances of that are increasing.

And for both of you guys, if you think that the country is doing such a great job, we are still waiting for your explanation of :

Why are US deaths still rising when other countries have been getting it under control?

Why does the US account for nearly 30% of world wide deaths?

You guys never actually face the tough questions. Deflect, deflect, deflect because it seems you have no answer.

Yes, there was a point when one must be concerned and start taking this seriously. We dont just start hoarding sanitizer and wearing face masks everywhere for no reason. That is abundant proof there is "concern". Throughout history, we have had things like this pop up. No different than a volcano or earthquake, except that there are actually measures you can take to improve your chances. No one is saying those things shouldn't be done. However what unfolded in March and April was extraordinarily over the top, and as evidenced here and many other places, politics was the main driver of that. Not really concern for those who were sick or those who lose their livelihoods...

I never made any claim that the "country is doing such a great job". Each country faces its own unique circumstances and has its own cultural issues to deal with. The numbers really arent that different than what the flu would look like if there was no vaccine. This has been covered many times. Its just so strange, although not surprising, why you seem to have an infatuation with putting everything on one person(POTUS) when the results of a country as unique as this one, literally rely on hundreds, maybe even thousands, of agencies and officials working together, both dependently and independently of each other. Its also really bizarre all the outrage some here had at college kids partying or states reopening, but now little to no concern about hoards of protesters everywhere.

So what do you think the alternative would have been instead of an initial lockdown? We didn't have enough tests. We didn't have enough PPE. If you stop flights from the infected countries you're considered a "racist".

Well, I'd suggest the lack of PPE and tests was largely incompetence.

But, in retrospect you could have:

- 14 day quarantine for anyone entering the country

- max gathering size of 10 people

- mandatory masks indoors and on transit

- curbside pickup

- takeout only for restaurants

- isolation / quarantine for known cases

- paid sick leave

- physical distancing

- work from home

- enhanced infection control at hospitals, retirement homes, and LTC

- closed churches

- manhatten project to ramp-up PPE production, testing, and contract tracing

This would be expensive and invasive, but much less expensive than full lockdowns. But again, the real problem is that a large portion of the population didn't take this seriously. That is a communication problem.

And this isn't just retrospective and it isn't political, I criticized De Blasio / Cuomo in this thread in March when they set the max gathering size at 500. In Ontario, we let everyone go to the U.S. on spring break even though it was clear there was a major outbreak down south. Our premier encouraged everyone to enjoy their vacations. And many of them brought Covid back overwhelming our semi-competent contract tracing efforts. I coached a hockey team and I told my team that anyone who went on spring break wouldn't be allowed to attend team events for 14 days. How many lives and jobs would have been saved it our premier had said the same thing?

- curbside pickup

- paid sick leave

- physical distancing

- work from home

- closed churches

This would be expensive and invasive, but much less expensive than full lockdowns. But again, the real problem is that a large portion of the population didn't take this seriously. That is a communication problem.

And this isn't just retrospective and it isn't political, I criticized De Blasio / Cuomo in this thread in March when they set the max gathering size at 500. In Ontario, we let everyone go to the U.S. on spring break even though it was clear there was a major outbreak down south. Our premier encouraged everyone to enjoy their vacations. And many of them brought Covid back overwhelming our semi-competent contract tracing efforts. I coached a hockey team and I told my team that anyone who went on spring break wouldn't be allowed to attend team events for 14 days. How many lives and jobs would have been saved it our premier had said the same thing?

I agree with many of your proposals. However, hindsight is 20/20 and I don't know how much the public would have backed leadership.

For instance, if the government would have forcefully stopped church services, would the government then be paying for that (churches rely on people for tithes and fundraising)? People would be up in arms about a "separation of church and state" then about government funding churches.

Let's be clear. Obama didn't help the lack of PPE:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/factcheck/2020/04/03/fact-check-did-obama-administration-deplete-n-95-mask-stockpile/5114319002/

Wow - now Greg is a racist. This after he is an anti-Semite. Nicely done KC.

Unfortunately Greg - you are feeling the Bitter Hostility of the LEFT.

When they tire of debate - they resort to call their opponents racist, homophobe, or religious bigot to shut you up and discredit you.

Don't let it bother you. It's the standard tactic of the LEFT.

If the government couldn't magically create money, would you guys be in favor of a shut down then?

So, your options would be 1) keep the economy open to (hopefully) avoid a depression 2) shut down and probably have a depression

Lockdowns were required due to incompetence. As Sweden shows, the economy is impacted by the virus whether you lockdown or not. The best way to reduce the economic impact is to take the virus seriously in the early stages. Lockdowns are a blunt, destructive force. They are the "break glass in case of emergency" option.

Orthopa, Gregmal, Cubsfan, Trump, De Blasio, and the rest of the "it's just a flu crowd" are a big part of this problem. If everyone had overreacted in February, none of this would have happened. Now the US is in the worst possible spot, they acted just enough to destroy the economy but not enough to contain the virus.

I posted about Japan several times.  In my last post (#6026 in this thread), I posted their guidelines which says "degree of ventilation is the key"

Japan is interesting because it has 1) Very old population 2) Very crowded 3) Cold. 

All these stand against Japan and yet they had low Covid deaths.  Particularly with very old population that is amazing result.

They did not have mandated lockdowns.  Their guidelines included keeping windows open, not to talk in elevators, keeping car heat/AC in fresh air..etc which are easy to practice without locking down.

So, why look further?  Japan found a way. All we have to do is follow. It does not require lockdown!

http://japan.kantei.go.jp/ongoingtopics/COVID19CASFlyer/PROffice3CGuide_en.pdf

- curbside pickup

- paid sick leave

- physical distancing

- work from home

- closed churches

I agree with many of your proposals. However, hindsight is 20/20 and I don't know how much the public would have backed leadership.

For instance, if the government would have forcefully stopped church services, would the government then be paying for that (churches rely on people for tithes and fundraising)? People would be up in arms about a "separation of church and state" then about government funding churches.

Let's be clear. Obama didn't help the lack of PPE:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/factcheck/2020/04/03/fact-check-did-obama-administration-deplete-n-95-mask-stockpile/5114319002/

I agree. Closing churches wasn't/isn't politically viable especially at the start of this epidemic. But they are an ideal venue for spreading the disease, so I included them. But honestly, you only needed to do two or three things very early on in the epidemic to make a dramatic difference.

So Gregmal is correct, the failures were political. But not in the delusional way he imagines. Politicians worldwide (and across political lines) refused to take aggressive action early when this disease could still be contained. So they were forced to use lockdowns once the spread was out-of-control.

--

Regarding PPE, I have a contrarian view. Slow the spread of the virus and you reduce the need for PPE and ventilators. Instead of surging ventilator production and hospital capacity and chasing miracle cures, we should have focused on prevention. This is just a pet theory, but in Canada, I suspect the death rate would be lower if we had allocated more PPE to LTC homes rather than hospitals.

Classic. RACIST! he cries.

The Washington Redskins is also offensive to some. Perhaps stop being offended by everything, and for everyone, all the time. I at first was puzzled by this, but then came to the conclusion it is by design. This need, in the identity politics playbook, to brand everyone as some sort of bigot. But its stupid and once you understand the game these tactics literally have zero effect anymore. There really isn't anything anyone could say to me that would offend me. Being "offended" is a waste of time and energy. I cant imagine going through life taking issue with so many things. Just live your life however you want, treat others the way you want to be treated. Simple enough.

Of course though, as so many like KC fall for it, the system hinges on disruption and having "racism" rampant, keeps people tied to the strings of the apron and allows the puppet masters to continue on. In order to solve real problems, you need to get beyond the headline fodder and "labels". I mean how stupid is it that in order to protest police brutality towards the AA community, their solution is to go out and do things that mandate the presence of police officers and even in many cases warrant their physical intervention? Its asinine when put like that.

Further inquiries, especially with regard to race, actually point to poverty and economic duress as the main drivers that create structural and systematic hindrances. This of course effects various races differently, but believe me, I have a number of friends(whom happen to be African American), and the notion that their skin color means they had to "overcome" something to get where they are(successful and wealthy), drives them nuts. So does the notion that they benefited from some sort of race related special treatment. Its condescending and viewed as disrespectful to their families that raised them the right way and the communities they grew up in. Its the same reason many in the South Florida Latino community are disgusted by illegal immigrants. It creates distraction and brings about negative implications for those that did things the right way. American continues to provide fertile ground for people of all races to vastly improve their lives, as long as you get off your ass and fight for it. Crying "racism" has basically just become a crutch and if you cant see its counterproductive, then I dont know what to tell you. Go out and hustle rather than automatically claiming you didn't get the job because the guy hiring was a bigot and now rather than look for one you want to post about it on Twitter..

The issue we've just seen, may have threads of race involved, but the overwhelming issue is lack of accountability for officers and a bully culture and an us vs them mentality rather than "protect and serve". But you'll never get to have those meaningful discussion if you keep on thinking that things just randomly happen to you because you're (insert race here) and the whole world is out to get you. Theres probably even reasonable evidence that the constant "race" stuff is divisive in its very nature. As human beings, everyone should look out for each other and its odd that to many, the answers to issues of inequality is to treat people differently!

When they tire of debate - they resort to call their opponents racist, homophobe, or religious bigot to shut you up and discredit you.

Once you see the game they play for what it is, there is nothing they can call you that bothers you. Although I will admit, the anti-Semite thing was rather funny. I am still waiting for Pauly to explain if its possible for a Jew to be anti Semitic. Although it does touch my heart that he was offended for all of us!

Theres a certain irony to going through life labelling and grouping people together in the name of equality. Personally, I prefer to just view people as people and like/dislike them based on the content of their character.

"Its also really bizarre all the outrage some here had at college kids partying or states reopening, but now little to no concern about hoards of protesters everywhere.”

“...why you seem to have an infatuation with putting everything on one person(POTUS)...”

First, I can’t recollect any post that suggested that there was no concern over protesters. Of course there is a concern over crowds gathering.

Second, what sort of example is set when the  country’s leader continues to downplay the virus and refuses to be seen wearing a mask or when he promotes discredited medicinal treatments? He is the guy in charge after all.

Remember "The buck stops here" vs "I take no responsibility for that"

Why worry about protesters when the president himself continually crowds people together without masks for his photo ops or plans to hold an INDOOR rally of 20,000 people? And while Trump discourages people from wearing masks, he requires attendees to his rally to agree to hold him harmless in the event attendees contract the disease.

Obviously the country has made a total f*** up of the situation and the credit for much of that rests with the guy in charge. Remember that guy who set up guidelines for reopening and then criticized states for not ignoring them and for not opening up faster. You know, “free Michigan”.

I posted about Japan several times.  In my last post (#6026 in this thread), I posted their guidelines which says "degree of ventilation is the key"

Japan is interesting because it has 1) Very old population 2) Very crowded 3) Cold. 

All these stand against Japan and yet they had low Covid deaths.  Particularly with very old population that is amazing result.

They did not have mandated lockdowns.  Their guidelines included keeping windows open, not to talk in elevators, keeping car heat/AC in fresh air..etc which are easy to practice without locking down.

So, why look further?  Japan found a way. All we have to do is follow. It does not require lockdown!

http://japan.kantei.go.jp/ongoingtopics/COVID19CASFlyer/PROffice3CGuide_en.pdf

Japanese tend to more about the culture/community instead of the individual. I think you're right that it can work without lockdowns. I just don't know how well that would work in a more individualistic culture like the most of the west.

"Japanese tend to more about the culture/community instead of the individual. I think you're right that it can work without lockdowns. I just don't know how well that would work in a more individualistic culture like the most of the west."

Probably right. We seem to have a lack of self discipline to the point that would make this difficult.

"Japanese tend to more about the culture/community instead of the individual. I think you're right that it can work without lockdowns. I just don't know how well that would work in a more individualistic culture like the most of the west."

Probably right. We seem to have a lack of self discipline to the point that would make this difficult.

Agreed.

"Its also really bizarre all the outrage some here had at college kids partying or states reopening, but now little to no concern about hoards of protesters everywhere.”

“...why you seem to have an infatuation with putting everything on one person(POTUS)...”

First, I can’t recollect any post that suggested that there was no concern over protesters. Of course there is a concern over crowds gathering.

Second, what sort of example is set when the  country’s leader continues to downplay the virus and refuses to be seen wearing a mask or when he promotes discredited medicinal treatments? He is the guy in charge after all.

Remember "The buck stops here" vs "I take no responsibility for that"

Why worry about protesters when the president himself continually crowds people together without masks for his photo ops or plans to hold an INDOOR rally of 20,000 people? And while Trump discourages people from wearing masks, he requires attendees to his rally to agree to hold him harmless in the event attendees contract the disease.

Obviously the country has made a total f*** up of the situation and the credit for much of that rests with the guy in charge. Remember that guy who set up guidelines for reopening and then criticized states for not ignoring them and for not opening up faster. You know, “free Michigan”.

Well, he's going to hold his stupid rallies, and if that causes some massive outbreak, he will likely be held accountable in November. If it again turns out to be another case of the boy who cried wolf, well, voters will likely see that also.

Sadly, I think you are correct. I am an evangelical Christian and a lifelong member of the Conservative Party of Canada. And in the U.S., I would be considered left wing. Bitterly LEFT.

Sadly, I think you are correct. I am an evangelical Christian and a lifelong member of the Conservative Party of Canada. And in the U.S., I would be considered left wing. Bitterly LEFT.

Why do you think you would be considered left here?

Guys be careful that you aren't attacking people!  10 day bans apply to everyone...not just the right-wing guys!  Cheers!

I think everyone here knows I'm a fiscal conservative, but a liberal socialist when it comes to individual rights.

But I have to ask my liberal friends, are we going too far in some issues.  Now they are banning "Gone With the Wind".  What's next, "Forrest Gump?"

I knew GWTW was racist when I first saw it as a kid, same with Breakfast at Tiffany's, but are we going to outlaw all movies and books with racist connotations?  We would then have to ban books like "To Kill a Mockingbird", which would serve the opposite purpose of the book's moral outrage at racism.

Banning confederate flags at Nascar...yes, I think that is very reasonable.  But when you start skewing history and censoring information written in a historical context or period, you are actually moving closer to the direction of Nazi's than away.

And you are talking to a Indo-Canadian kid born in Canada, whose family is made up of Hindus, Punjabis, Blacks, Chinese, Vietnamese, Italian and English backgrounds!  Cheers!

I think everyone here knows I'm a fiscal conservative, but a liberal socialist when it comes to individual rights.

But I have to ask my liberal friends, are we going too far in some issues.  Now they are banning "Gone With the Wind".  What's next, "Forrest Gump?"

I knew GWTW was racist when I first saw it as a kid, same with Breakfast at Tiffany's, but are we going to outlaw all movies and books with racist connotations?  We would then have to ban books like "To Kill a Mockingbird", which would serve the opposite purpose of the book's moral outrage at racism.

Banning confederate flags at Nascar...yes, I think that is very reasonable.  But when you start skewing history and censoring information written in a historical context or period, you are actually moving closer to the direction of Nazi's than away.

And you are talking to a Indo-Canadian kid born in Canada, whose family is made up of Hindus, Punjabis, Blacks, Chinese, Vietnamese, Italian and English backgrounds!  Cheers!

If we're going to ban confederate flags, you should also ban any other flags that might offend people. It's not right to censor one view just because group X gets offended but allow another flag to go  even though it offends group Y.

Parsad, let's keep this on topic! The official stance is that we are going to allow Greg to repeatedly call black people savages. I've expressed my moral outrage. Let's move on.

Parsad, let's keep this on topic! The official stance is that we are going to allow Greg to repeatedly call black people savages. I've expressed my moral outrage. Let's move on.

That is not what happened. No need to be a liar because you got called out. ERICOPOLY posted a CNN article covering protestors who were described as "angry". But what these people were doing fell into the category of assault, looting, arson, vandalism, and several other serious crimes and just in general, boorish behavior. I described them(the protesters doing these things) as savages. You turned it into a race thing. Surprise, surprise. I even pointed out to you, that it was ignorant to assume they were all black, because there were people of many races doing these things.