Name one product/service that you love and one that you hate

LongHaul

Love (service): Neflix. I don't watch it personally, but it keeps the family very happy, and I surely love the bill.

Love (product): iPad Air

Hate (service): Canadian mobile plans. Nuff said.

Hate (product): Cars, a.k.a the wealth destroyers. They just sit there in the driveway and depreciate away.

Love/Hate: Amazon. Amazon.com is incredible, but most products I want to buy either don't ship to Canada, or ship too expensively. Amazon.ca is far behind .com in terms of selection and value.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOVE:  Amazon Prime, Netflix, iPad, Linux, XEmacs, Kerrygold butter, http://grasslandbeef.com/

HATE:

Microsoft Windows.

Anything done by, heavily protected by, or subsidized by government. Some Examples:

Comcast, Taxi cab companies, the medical industry, the military industrial complex (Halliburton, Raytheon, et al.), Big-Food (Monsanto, et al.), Public schools/transportation/radio/....

This thread is great. I'm going to buy Apple, short Apple, buy KRFT (hearing good things about their beer) and short all ISP's. My Peter-Lynch-style research will ensure outsized returns. I'm still looking for a swap provider on the S&P DW-PMI composite index family (decibel-weighted public music inconvenience) as I would like to short the high-volume hiphop tranches.

LOL

Yes, Peter Lynch anecdotal investing is rather broken approach. I read Peter Lynch books when I was just starting and they definitely made a bad influence on me at the time. (Bought Iomega, got out with profit, but we know how the story ends...). I never suggest Peter Lynch books for new investors... or anybody else actually.

The thread itself is fun though.  8)

Hate (product): Cars, a.k.a the wealth destroyers. They just sit there in the driveway and depreciate away.

I assume you don't own a car? Because if you own one you must think the value it provides outweighs the lifetime cost (including depreciation). Even if you don't own one, I'm sure you can imagine other people with different life circumstances who get enough value from their car to justify ownership. Hating specific cars or car companies is fine but hating all cars because they depreciate seems... weird.

I assume you don't own a car? Because if you own one you must think the value it provides outweighs the lifetime cost (including depreciation). Even if you don't own one, I'm sure you can imagine other people with different life circumstances who get enough value from their car to justify ownership. Hating specific cars or car companies is fine but hating all cars because they depreciate seems... weird.

They are a necessity (if you live outside of a major city), but that doesn't mean you have to like them.  When the day comes that you can summon a robotic flying car on your personal communication device (embedded in your brain) and have it arrive to pick you up in 30 seconds and quickly bring you where ever you want to go, car ownership as we know it today will seem as ludicrous as owning and taking care of horses for transportation does to us now.  I hate car ownership, although I own 2, I hate airline travel although I do it when I have to.  You can certainly hate something even if it is the best that is available at the current time.  Car ownership is expensive and car travel is extremely dangerous, there is a lot to dislike.

Overall, IMHO, if one wants to follow Peter Lynch, the best way is to find someone who is on the top of trends and knows what's hot, what's not, what's a fad and what's a long term trend. And then pay half of your 2-and-20 to that person.  8) There are people like that, though not common.

Following the products you like yourself is usually not good idea, even more so if you're a contrarian outside crowd person already.

Although clearly people who invested in Apple, Amazon, Starbucks, TJ Maxx/Ross, Home Depot, Disney, Whole Foods, Nike, Netflix based on Peter Lynch have done very well if they held.

I hate car ownership, although I own 2, I hate airline travel although I do it when I have to.  You can certainly hate something even if it is the best that is available at the current time.

This.

Also love/hate does not have to be rational.

That's why such topics tend to lead to flame wars when people feel the need to oppose somebody else's love/hates.

So far so good here. Fingers crossed.  8)

Yes, Peter Lynch anecdotal investing is rather broken approach. I read Peter Lynch books when I was just starting and they definitely made a bad influence on me at the time. (Bought Iomega, got out with profit, but we know how the story ends...). I never suggest Peter Lynch books for new investors... or anybody else actually.

I don't agree that his approach is broken. Lynch's overarching principle (which so many investors don't do) is to invest in things you understand (ie, your circle of competence). The odd thing about Lynch was he essentially just owned an index fund - he often had over 500 stocks in his portfolio at a time, which is crazy. He also ran his fun during a stretch where the overall market had a great run - then he got out. I think he's a great writer though.

This thread is great. I'm going to buy Apple, short Apple, buy KRFT (hearing good things about their beer) and short all ISP's. My Peter-Lynch-style research will ensure outsized returns. I'm still looking for a swap provider on the S&P DW-PMI composite index family (decibel-weighted public music inconvenience) as I would like to short the high-volume hiphop tranches.

LOL

The thread itself is fun though.  8)

Interesting to me that many of the "hates" are monopoly businesses with pricing power.

Love: Luxire is probably my all-around favorite company. They're a clothing company that describes themselves as ebespoke which is accurate--definitely a league above MTM and as close to true bespoke as you can get. Their quality and prices are unbelievable and their motto is they don't say no to anything. If you dream it they will produce it. I buy damn near all my clothes from them now.

+1

Love: Tesla

Hate: Monsanto

One makes me feel hope and the other fear. Ironically Monsanto is the stock I picked after reading the Warren Buffett Way in 1998 before I realized what the company was doing when I was trying to think of a company building moat.

Good thread idea. My wife and daughter are better people to use this technique with as they picked out things like Jones Soda and Red Robin. They better reflect mass consumer preference than me as I read too much. Unfortunately I usually only notice their great stock picks until after the stock shoots up. So here is my wife's current picks.

Love: Starbucks

Hate: Samsung

Why the hate for Samsung?

You weren't asking me, but I'll chime in. I hate Samsung because of the front loading washer and dryer we got about 1-2 years ago. The timer will say 45 minutes and 90 minutes later it is still going. About the same time we bought our daughter a Whirlpool front loading stacked washer and dryer for her condo. We actually like using her washer and dryer when we visit, probably because we hate our Samsung units.

Oh, there was our 50" Samsung TV we got back when we got it for a deal at $3,500. After about 6 months it developed this intermittent problem with the picture. Every time someone would come out to look at it the picture was fine. We have bought our last Samsung products.

Why the hate for Samsung?

You weren't asking me, but I'll chime in. I hate Samsung because of the front loading washer and dryer we got about 1-2 years ago. The timer will say 45 minutes and 90 minutes later it is still going. About the same time we bought our daughter a Whirlpool front loading stacked washer and dryer for her condo. We actually like using her washer and dryer when we visit, probably because we hate our Samsung units.

Oh, there was our 50" Samsung TV we got back when we got it for a deal at $3,500. After about 6 months it developed this intermittent problem with the picture. Every time someone would come out to look at it the picture was fine. We have bought our last Samsung products.

It isn't just you, I bought a Samsung dryer and it lasted less than 2 years, the plastic tub developed a crack which got worse and worse until it would no longer spin.  POS, it was cheaper than Maytag or Whirlpool, but sometimes you get what you pay for.  So I ended up buying a Whirlpool to replace it.  I'd never buy another Samsung appliance.

Was just curious. I think the only Samsung produce we have is our TV that we bought when we moved in the new house 4 years ago. We've been happy with it.

I also hate Rogers and Bell. Ironically I love the Toronto Blue Jays who are owned by Rogers.  ;D

But the Jays aren't a product or service as the OP intended the thread, so my love goes to Starbucks.................. sometimes Tim Horton's.

Love:  Anthem/Blue Cross (just had my first colonoscopy.  Since it was a screening test, it was free.)

Hate:  Anthem/Blue Cross (all those premium payments for all those years, and all I get is a long one up the a$$.)

Love:  Anthem/Blue Cross (just had my first colonoscopy.  Since it was a screening test, it was free.)

Hate:  Anthem/Blue Cross (all those premium payments for all those years, and all I get is a long one up the a$$.)

LOL

OT: I really hope they invent something else before I have to go for colonoscopy, since I am so f&(*ing not doing it. I'd rather die. ;)

LOL

OT: I really hope they invent something else before I have to go for colonoscopy, since I am so f&(*ing not doing it. I'd rather die. ;)

The actual scope is a breeze. You close your eyes and the next thing you know it is all over.  It is the prep that is a bitch.

LOL

The actual scope is a breeze. You close your eyes and the next thing you know it is all over.  It is the prep that is a bitch.

boilermaker75's correct:  after Versed/Fentanyl for the anesthesia, it's amnesia time.  I have to trust the people who tell me that I had the colonoscopy.