Buffett/Berkshire - general news

How do you perceive these moves by Mr. Ackman & Mr. Greenberg?

Hi John, I think it’s a good move. 

I think we have an interesting setup here in that BRK (by which I mean the stock) has done pretty much nothing for a few years now and remains cheap-ish, while a lot of other assets with similar characteristics — high quality, low risk — have really gone up in price.  So if you think that general trend is here to stay then it is probably not unreasonable to expect BRK to join the party sooner or later.

That said, there is one perfectly “rational” explanation for why BRK isn’t hot now, which is that everyone really seems to think that interest rates are going to go much lower and stay there forever — in which case industries like banking and insurance will probably not do so well.  Personally, though, I feel perfectly fine betting against this consensus view by buying/holding BRK.

Various media is reporting snippets from Ackman's shareholder letter - outlining his views on the Berkshire purchase:

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/1-ackman-eyes-more-gains-000843746.html

I suppose a letter will be posted to PSH's website sometime soon, but I don't think Q2 is up yet.

** Nevermind, here is the Q2 report:

https://assets.pershingsquareholdings.com/2019/08/15175158/PSH-2019-Interim-Financial-Statements.pdf

Interesting. Ackman keps it simple and values the company based on look through PE ratio. He considers the company to be undervalued with its low teen P-E and sees potential for mid teen EPS growth in the medium term. That must mean that he sees potential for 15 percent CAGR stock price for several years if the gap to intrinsic value closes.

Not to be overly cynical, but how many of these HF moves are "I truly believe Berkshire is undervalued" vs. "I am completely out of ideas after a long bull market but I don't want cash drag to reflect in my returns"? WEB is the person best placed to understand the intrinsic value of BRK and while he has been buying back shares, he's not exactly backing up the truck either.

I agree. Being long berkshire is kind of shorting the market, it’s the anti-valeant which was a glorious bull market vehicle.

With respect to Ackman, the guys up 50% and in the process of rebuilding his reputation and track record. PSH trades for a 30% discount. In addition to genuinely thinking its undervalued, I imagine that buying Berkshire and simultaneously repurchasing PSH shares is a pretty sure fire way to crystallize and de risk gains and make money in the intermediate term.

Buying Berkshire through PSH at a 30% discount is really attractive to me. He should go 100% BRK lol.

I agree. Being long berkshire is kind of shorting the market, it’s the anti-valeant which was a glorious bull market vehicle.

With respect to Ackman, the guys up 50% and in the process of rebuilding his reputation and track record. PSH trades for a 30% discount. In addition to genuinely thinking its undervalued, I imagine that buying Berkshire and simultaneously repurchasing PSH shares is a pretty sure fire way to crystallize and de risk gains and make money in the intermediate term.

Buying Berkshire through PSH at a 30% discount is really attractive to me. He should go 100% BRK lol.

To be clear I actually think berkshire is very undervalued, just saying that berkshires relative outperformance probably increases in a downmarket so I think people piling in now is potentially a bit of market timing

Guest longinvestor

Interesting times we live in. It was just two years ago that Buffett had the Hedge funds squirming with the embarrassing bet and now they are themselves piling in. What’s next? They go activist? Seek board seats? A la Icahn. Force buybacks? Break up the company?

Berkshire looks about to borrow in Japanese Yen -

https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1067983/000119312519223905/d783972d424b5.htm

https://www.nasdaq.com/article/berkshire-hathaway-hires-banks-for-secregistered-yen-bonds-20190819-00018

https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Markets/Buffett-s-Berkshire-to-issue-first-ever-yen-bonds

A team!

Investment decisions and all other capital allocation decisions are made for us and our subsidiaries by our senior management team which is led by Warren E. Buffett, in consultation with Charles T. Munger. Mr. Buffett is Chairman and Mr. Munger is Vice Chairman of Berkshire’s Board of Directors.

And a new "conflict of interest" disclosure:

We own more than 10% of the outstanding common stock of Bank of America Corporation, the parent company of Merrill Lynch International. Accordingly, this offering is being made in compliance with the requirements of Rule 5121 of the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority. Because the notes to be offered will be rated investment grade, pursuant to Rule 5121, the appointment of a qualified independent underwriter is not necessary.

Fingers crossed that Omaha will receive interest payments for borrowing!

That'd be a new twist on loan sharking.

Next stop Europe?

"the Prophet"

haha

I also liked this part:

"Each month in the Empire Investment Report, Whitney Tilson and his team share their top investment recommendations, ideas, predictions, and warnings – in short, everything you need to know to beat the markets in the coming years."

He should have been reading this over the past 10 years so he, too, could have beaten the market.

Perhaps a bit hard times for your posts, here, Mike,

Thank you for sharing, and please let it go here. I always appreciate & enjoy reading your posts here on CoBF.

Thanks much John - doesn't bother me in the least. Lots of Tilson haters out there - even though Whitney's been spot on with Berkshire over the years.

His analysis on BRK has been very good in the past - so I could care less if investors want to ignore it or make fun of it. My money agrees with

his current view.

Guest longinvestor

Perhaps a bit hard times for your posts, here, Mike,

Thank you for sharing, and please let it go here. I always appreciate & enjoy reading your posts here on CoBF.

Thanks much John - doesn't bother me in the least. Lots of Tilson haters out there - even though Whitney's been spot on with Berkshire over the years.

His analysis on BRK has been very good in the past - so I could care less if investors want to ignore it or make fun of it. My money agrees with

his current view.

Mine too. If anything, his implied multiple of 12x is conservative and is based on the Berkshire of the 1990’s. The stellar earnings since 1999 deserves a higher multiple, more like Semper Augustus.

The valuation is OK, but it doesn’t exactly take an advanced valuation method to determine that BRKB is undervalued. Even just looking at the chart gives you an idea.

Traditionally, BRKB stock prices hasn’t always moved its the intrinsic value as ai see it, there wer periods, when the stock price stalled, while the IV increased. Typically, those periods lasted about 2 years. As I see it, they were from 2010-2012 ($70/share), 2014-2016 ($130) and 2018-???? ($200). simply put, since 2018 BRK has been building up “stored energy” in terms of earnings power, float, and cash (which will eventually be deployed) which at some point will lead to a rising stock price.

On a side note, Wilson has a funny typo in his slide - “Fort Know”

... Simply put, since 2018 BRK has been building up “stored energy” in terms of earnings power, float, and cash (which will eventually be deployed) which at some point will lead to a rising stock price. ...

Simply put, this line of thinking by Spekulatius, has some merit, to me.

... Simply put, since 2018 BRK has been building up “stored energy” in terms of earnings power, float, and cash (which will eventually be deployed) which at some point will lead to a rising stock price. ...

Simply put, this line of thinking by Spekulatius, has some merit, to me.

Agreed. The Occidental preferred stock deal has just started to pay Berkshire $800 million per year.

What i also like about Berkshire is it is likely that Buffett will be a buyer, and perhaps in volume, if shares fall much below $190. That should provide a nice floor for the stock price.

I also like that they are not highly leveraged. They are the opposite, with $100 billion in cash which can be used should businesses go on sale in the next year or two.

Brk, below $200, is my favourite stock pick given the current environment. Decent value. Some downside protection. $100 billion in cash.

Not only is Berkshire selling at a large discount to our estimate of its intrinsic value, but we expect it to grow this value 8% to 10% annually over the long term.

In addition, if the current discount narrows (i.e., BRK trades up from 1.26x to 1.50x book value), shares could be worth about $360 in five years, equivalent to a compound annual return of 13%.

https://www.checkcapital.com/Research_Reports/BRKB_Report_0819.pdf

Hat tip to mdtif.

https://boards.fool.com/another-brk-bull-34280630.aspx?sort=postdate