Buffett/Berkshire - general news

Yahoo Finance [April 3rd 2019] : Warren Buffett: Banks will be worth more money 10 years from now.

Mr. Buffett on banks and the concept of Circle of Competence [short clip].

I listened to his answer about interest rate. To me, it seems to mean he think bank investment is a good one regardless what the interest rate is going to do (which I agree). I think the market made a mistake when banks were sold off due to yield curve inversion. Good time to buy more banks, imo

Another article about the lawsuits challenging Applied Underwriters' EquityComp product -

https://nypost.com/2019/04/05/ny-state-probing-berkshire-hathaway-owned-insurance-firm/

But we swear its just a coincidence that this is the only sub we have ever put up for sale...

Interesting to note that the two leaders (Sid Ferenc and Steven Menzies) apparently were very well paid (at least in 2015 according to some reports) when each made about $9 million from salary, bonus and other compensation which would have ranked them high in the corporate ladder and which likely means that the Boss was happy with results.

Opinion: the top two managers are VERY bright, stayed within legal and possibly even ethical bounds but they became too distanced from center court. When the opponent frequently debates if the ball is in or out, the game loses its rhythm. Being able to fetch a high price probably helped with the decision and some private equity players don't mind playing along the lines.

Some details about the business which may interest some:

The loss sensitive policies with profit-share are not new but are usually sold to large businesses which have larger financial and technical (to really understand the implications of the policy) resources. Applied devised a product for small businesses and rapidly gained market share. Buying workers comp insurance is typically easy for small businesses (often purchased by the owner) as there are state-agency-supervised lists of payment rates (%) for different categories which are simply multiplied by categories of payroll. The typical feature offered by Applied involved defining a minimum and a maximum premium with an initially defined premium within the range and a deposit to fund potential negative development. The idea is for the small business owner to have skin in the game and to pro-actively reduce injuries and focus on cost-effective safety. Applied are great operators and, overall, underwriting results (it seems) have been very solid so many small business operators had good deals and recuperated the deposited money. However, the small business owners effectively became involved in a complex reinsurance transaction and some of those with negative development suddenly realized that they were involved in a very complex and lengthy process. Many disappointed clients decided to attack the innovative aspects of the policies and many regulators developed a receptive ear. Also, those suing often mentioned that they had been attracted to the Applied policy because of the Berkshire halo and often described that the Berkshire parent was benefitting ("siphoning funds") from the reinsurance component of the transaction...

Insurance commissioners can, at times, show unusual sympathy towards the small player "fighting" large corporations. In 2016, there was a detailed decision which reached the conclusion that the EquityComp product was toxic. Here is the decision:

http://www.insurance.ca.gov/0400-news/0100-press-releases/2016/release071-16.cfm

http://www.insurance.ca.gov/0400-news/0100-press-releases/2016/upload/nr066ShastaLinen-Decision-Order.pdf

The decision is being referred to again and again.

My humble experience in this area is that it helps if you can outsmart the regulators. But being too smart can be detrimental.

They should have hired Mr. Buffett for public relations and regulatory interactions but he probably has more important stuff to do.

This is the most recent (late March) presentation from Berkshire Hathaway Energy - might be interesting to some:

https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/71180/000108131619000007/ic2019.htm

(from a fixed income conference)

Lots of interesting information in there, thanks. Anyone know which brand of batteries Invenergy uses in their storage systems for Midamerican ?

I believe it is BYD

This is the most recent (late March) presentation from Berkshire Hathaway Energy - might be interesting to some:

https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/71180/000108131619000007/ic2019.htm

(from a fixed income conference)

Lots of interesting information in there, thanks. Anyone know which brand of batteries Invenergy uses in their storage systems for Midamerican ?

Yahoo finance has been releasing dribs and drabs of an interview that Andy Serwer did recently with Warren in anticipation of the annual meeting.  The first one was him commenting on negative interest rates and the lack of historical precedent for current conditions.  The most recent release (so far) has his comments on Elon Musk's conduct.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/warren-buffett-on-negative-interest-rates-and-low-inflation-144529579.html

https://finance.yahoo.com/video/warren-buffett-says-elon-musks-110000649.html

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-04-23/warren-buffett-sees-most-newspapers-as-toast-after-ad-decline?srnd=premium

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with Dynamic,

This could be a real game changer for Berkshire going forward in the long run.

Primary source : Federal Reserve - Press Release [April 23rd 2019] : Federal Reserve Board invites public comment on proposal to simplify and increase the transparency of rules for determining control of a banking organization.

[The WSJ article mentioned by SHDL is unfortunately not available for me - it appears that Outline does not work for WSJ pages any longer.]

Rumor out that Warren is trying to buy PG&E... totally worth the wait....NOT. I dont have a meaningful enough BRK position to be mad, but this just continues to fit in with what I've now thought about for the past few years.

I believe these “BRK buys X” rumors are planted by day traders trying to make a quick buck. Buyers beware!

There's a chart as part of the proposal that lists the requirements to get to the 25% threshold (attached). I doubt Berkshire would violate any of those currently, but I can't be sure about the 2% of revenue/expenses criterion. Does anyone know if they could violate this for a smaller bank, like USB?

Can/Will Berkshire request suspension of requirement to be below 10% for WFC and possibly BAC till this regulation is finalized? 

Can shareholder give up voting rights completely or some part of it to limit their voting percentage while holding larger economic interest in total equity? Kind of like dual share voting structure but more ad-hoc. I believe Berkshire had deal for Washington Post to give voting control of shares to Graham family.

There's a chart as part of the proposal that lists the requirements to get to the 25% threshold (attached). I doubt Berkshire would violate any of those currently, but I can't be sure about the 2% of revenue/expenses criterion. Does anyone know if they could violate this for a smaller bank, like USB?

Can/Will Berkshire request suspension of requirement to be below 10% for WFC and possibly BAC till this regulation is finalized? 

Can shareholder give up voting rights completely or some part of it to limit their voting percentage while holding larger economic interest in total equity? Kind of like dual share voting structure but more ad-hoc. I believe Berkshire had deal for Washington Post to give voting control of shares to Graham family.

If I remember correctly, they already asked to exceed 10% once and were denied. I doubt they’ll risk being denied again when a reasonable proposal is currently being considered.

... Can shareholder give up voting rights completely or some part of it to limit their voting percentage while holding larger economic interest in total equity? Kind of like dual share voting structure but more ad-hoc. I believe Berkshire had deal for Washington Post to give voting control of shares to Graham family.

If one study the last Berkshire proxy, there is a special voting agreement between Berkshire and Mr. Buffett in place. If I remember correctly, there was a special voting arrangement for Berskhire's shares in AXP back when Berkshire became a large shareholder in AXP many years ago. I don't know if that arrangement is still in place and effective.

Edit:

For AXP : Please see AXP 2019 Proxy Statement, p. 90, upper part.