Buffett/Berkshire - general news

So this is from SA from a few month ago. It does not cover everything and omits some important positives (e.g. recent total operating results, because of very strong insurance performance, or together with other omissions them not buying long term bonds in ZIRP period etc). And author seems to be expecting some perfection after all:), despite stating the opposite. But I think some of his critique and analysis is quite interesting and not that bad/stupid?

For what it is worth: https://seekingalpha.com/article/4693091-berkshire-15-years-of-disappointing-acquisitions

Please do not shoot the messenger:). Still own some BRKB, but this year/recently reduced allocation to a "core minimum", mainly because of the valuation, although I admit, that WB's warning on utilities earlier this year also scared me a little. Also I am a bit worried, that the way the possible management transition on the horizon is expected to occur at BRK is the best way to do this or one I would prefer.

Personally, from a current valuation, I still expect BRK will provide a reasonable buy and hold return in the next 10 years of 6-8 per cent or even more, but doubt it could be >10 per cent, without some major luck. And probability is also very high they will finally have to deal with a management transition in this period (and this again could be an opportunity). Now, this 6-8-10 is nothing tragic at all and price/valuation could overshoot even more (probably ~1.8 BV would be a level for me to get out completely), but I think now it is already out of the exciting territory, at least for more active approach. I get and respect this "do not sell a single share" approach, but not so sure if this is a reasonable thing to do in BRK case this time, especially if your expectations are higher, than mentioned above. And with recent AAPL (wonderful, but probably to expensive) and BAC (probably expensive enough for average at best and not anti fragile business) sales, it seems even Buffett himself is showing this is the the way to go:)?

I would also appreciate if anyone could share their thinking or push back on this and maybe also discuss what are his expectation for the next 10 year BRK returns.

Edited by UK

On 7/20/2024 at 1:15 AM, charlieruane said:

Wowee! Any thoughts on the sale, @gfp?

It seems like BAC is earning low returns and is getting squeezed between 5.15% on earning assets and 4.2% cost of funding those.  So the trading and other non interest spread businesses are carrying more and more of the weight.  Deposits aren't going anywhere but the yield spread on earning assets really isn't covering the overhead.  With the stock trading up to a decent premium over book value and returns on that book value stuck in the regulated utility range, it just doesn't look great when you consider that whichever the next industry to blow up ends up being, the one thing we know for sure is that it will also hit their bankers.

He can't use expected higher corporate taxes in the future as his excuse for last week's selling LOL

On 7/20/2024 at 12:44 PM, UK said:

So this is from SA from a few month ago. It does not cover everything and omits some important positives (e.g. recent total operating results, because of very strong insurance performance, or together with other omissions them not buying long term bonds in ZIRP period etc). And author seems to be expecting some perfection after all:), despite stating the opposite. But I think some of his critique and analysis is quite interesting and not that bad/stupid?

For what it is worth: https://seekingalpha.com/article/4693091-berkshire-15-years-of-disappointing-acquisitions

Please do not shoot the messenger:). Still own some BRKB, but this year/recently reduced allocation to a "core minimum", mainly because of the valuation, although I admit, that WB's warning on utilities earlier this year also scared me a little. Also I am a bit worried, that the way the possible management transition on the horizon is expected to occur at BRK is the best way to do this or one I would prefer.

Personally, from a current valuation, I still expect BRK will provide a reasonable buy and hold return in the next 10 years of 6-8 per cent or even more, but doubt it could be >10 per cent, without some major luck. And probability is also very high they will finally have to deal with a management transition in this period (and this again could be an opportunity). Now, this 6-8-10 is nothing tragic at all and price/valuation could overshoot even more (probably ~1.8 BV would be a level for me to get out completely), but I think now it is already out of the exciting territory, at least for more active approach. I get and respect this "do not sell a single share" approach, but not so sure if this is a reasonable thing to do in BRK case this time, especially if your expectations are higher, than mentioned above. And with recent AAPL (wonderful, but probably to expensive) and BAC (probably expensive enough for average at best and not anti fragile business) sales, it seems even Buffett himself is showing this is the the way to go:)?

I would also appreciate if anyone could share their thinking or push back on this and maybe also discuss what are his expectation for the next 10 year BRK returns.

Decades owner and won't sell in my lifetime.  I easily see the authors point of view and your logical one too UK.  I have no guess as to returns, but I have some strong thoughts on the inevitable journey.  Inevitable...at least in my mind.

Edited by dealraker

All solid thinking it seem to me UK.  

1 hour ago, dealraker said:

All solid thinking it seem to me UK.  

Thanks dealraker! I understand and admire your approach as well and am thinking about transitioning, partly or fully, to some similar process, especially sometime in the future. Perhaps not selling out of something that I like and it still works well enough, only because of the valuation, could be a good start. I have earned some serious regrets by not doing so in the past, so thanks for sharing you experience and thinking about all this.

Edited by UK

1 hour ago, UK said:

Thanks dealraker! I understand and admire your approach as well and am thinking about transitioning, partly or fully, to some similar process, especially sometime in the future. Perhaps not selling out of something that I like and it still works well enough, only because of the valuation, could be a good start. I have earned some serious regrets by not doing so in the past, so thanks for sharing you experience and thinking about all this.

When you rid your mind of those using Berk (read Bloomstran) for self-promotion and those who refer to Buffett in uncle and grandpa terms the path and story of the business in its present form are not the extremes expressed by either side.  But the capital outlays and their success/failure - or less polar wording would be preferred if I could think of it - are vividly obvious.  With size Buffett almost inevitably goes into a slew of less-than-ideal things to get in down the road of existence.

I'm 99% profit in my Berkshire, I'm not going to sell in my lifetime.  But others can and probably should based on valuation and even more importantly where in the economic/stock/business performance cycle we are.  These cycles by the way, at least to me, and screamingly obvious.

That's one of the things barely addressed in online forum posts, that each of us has our own unique place as to lifespan, taxes, estate plan, etc.--- which highly affects our bias as to what to do and when.  But these biases should be the starting point for all discussion.  

So this most recent BYD sale disclosure shows BHE selling about $358 million USD worth of BYD stock since mid June.

The remaining position is worth around $1.7 Billion USD.

Thinking more about Warren's recent BAC sales - it's interesting to look at what Warren is buying vs what Warren is selling.  He is buying Chubb, with stable and negative funding costs ( -10% ) and selling BAC with +4.2% funding costs.  

image.thumb.png.eec9fed408e4a215ca682cd1e2807e55.png

Screen Shot 2024-07-22 at 9.09.18 AM.png

33 minutes ago, gfp said:

Thinking more about Warren's recent BAC sales - it's interesting to look at what Warren is buying vs what Warren is selling.  He is buying Chubb, with stable and negative funding costs ( -10% ) and selling BAC with +4.2% funding costs.  

image.thumb.png.eec9fed408e4a215ca682cd1e2807e55.png

Screen Shot 2024-07-22 at 9.09.18 AM.png

Insurance is also perhaps more resilient / less dependable on the economic cycle? Of course it has its own cycles or different issues, but taking into account the level of expertise BRK posses in the field and their already huge exposure to insurance operationally, it really seems like some kind of telling sign:)

2 hours ago, dealraker said:

When you rid your mind of those using Berk (read Bloomstran) for self-promotion and those who refer to Buffett in uncle and grandpa terms the path and story of the business in its present form are not the extremes expressed by either side.  But the capital outlays and their success/failure - or less polar wording would be preferred if I could think of it - are vividly obvious.  With size Buffett almost inevitably goes into a slew of less-than-ideal things to get in down the road of existence.

I'm 99% profit in my Berkshire, I'm not going to sell in my lifetime.  But others can and probably should based on valuation and even more importantly where in the economic/stock/business performance cycle we are.  These cycles by the way, at least to me, and screamingly obvious.

That's one of the things barely addressed in online forum posts, that each of us has our own unique place as to lifespan, taxes, estate plan, etc.--- which highly affects our bias as to what to do and when.  But these biases should be the starting point for all discussion.  

+1

Last week or so, Russell 2000 outperformed Russell 1000 by 3%+ in one day. This is turns out to be rare event. It only happened like 3 times since 2000.  2 of those times Russell 2000 continued to outperform for another 4 years. Value stocks are back.

That SA article is atrocious and doesn't do any real analysis. The first one alone (BNSF) he failed to notice with his "thousands of hours" that BNSF paid out a bunch of dividends in the early days reducing BRK's cost basis almost immediately. It has also distributed substantial cash and would be worth >$100B at market today. Where is this in his "analysis"? Also, BRK has tax advantages to owning something 100% versus owning the index, which he doesn't mention. 

PCP and Kraft were disasters as everyone already knew.

I agree that BRK's disclosures suck but WB seems to do that purposely for competitive reasons.

Edited by coc

6 minutes ago, coc said:

That SA article is atrocious and doesn't do any real analysis. The first one alone (BNSF) he failed to notice with his "thousands of hours" that BNSF paid out a bunch of dividends in the early days reducing BRK's cost basis almost immediately. It has also distributed substantial cash and would be worth >$100B at market today. Where is this in his "analysis"? Also, BRK has tax advantages to owning something 100% versus owning the index, which he doesn't mention. 

PCP and Kraft were disasters as everyone already knew.

I agree that BRK's disclosures suck but WB seems to do that purposely for competitive reasons.

Yep.

You also have to look at things as a whole. I know he mentioned Apple and such near the end of the article, but the author needs to actually factor them into his argument as well. You can’t just isolated companies Berkshire has bought 100% of and judge Berkshire based solely off that. That’d be like looking at Lamar Jackson and saying “hmmm… if we ignore his rushing ability and stats he’s actually a below average quarterback because he doesn’t have as many passing yards and tds as other top qbs”.

Besides, I’m not sure if anyone thinks Berkshire is going to consistently beat the SP500 now that it’s pushing $1T in valuation anyways. But I’d much rather own Berkshire than a very top heavy SP500.

I'll chime in with the old refrain that Berkshire's returns should be judged in risk-adjusted terms. To be sure, PCP and the like were simply flawed investments that lost shareholders money. But BNSF's adequate absolute returns have been excellent in risk-adjusted terms. There was almost zero risk of the capital invested in BNSF becoming permanently impaired at the prices BRK paid.

Attaining adequate returns with low risk is what Berkshire should strive to do going forward. In the past, we were treated to exquisite returns with low risk, but size has rendered that unlikely going forward. 

I recall reading a few years back somewhere that Buffett sold some Berkshire stock to buy the beach house for his wife in 1970s. I am unable to find the article which says he called his personal broker to direct him to sell Berkshire stock. Does anyone here have the reference? Thanks

Edited by Munger_Disciple

3 hours ago, Munger_Disciple said:

I recall reading a few years back somewhere that Buffett sold some Berkshire stock to buy the beach house for his wife in 1970s. I am unable to find the article which says he called his personal broker to direct him to sell Berkshire stock. Does anyone here have the reference? Thanks

I don't think buffett ever sold berkshire shares

He ran out of personal cash in the 70's at some point.  He had come out of the Buffett Partnership wind-down with $16 million in cash but he used that cash to buy more Berkshire and Blue Chip shares.  The first Laguna house cost $150k.  He probably had a net worth between $25 and 40 million at the time Susie convinced him to buy that $150k house.

He was only making $50k a year salary at BRK and he had a little bit of other income - but he was pretty tapped out at one point cash-wise.  I think he bought the first Laguna house before he ran low on cash but I don't know for sure.

On 7/20/2024 at 5:44 PM, UK said:

I own BRK and don't plan to sell (which is not to say I won't, but my intention is to hold long term).

I assume 5-9% REAL returns over very long periods of time with a very low probability of a genuinely bad outcome.

My PRIMARY reason for holding is culture and management. You could assess this in any number of ways but the simplest is just to reiterate that all board members have to buy stock with their own money and don't get D&O insurance. This is incredibly different from most boards and I expect the behaviours to be different too. I think this massively narrows the expected outcomes. There is no incentive to take the kinds of risks required to compound at 15, 20, 25%; but equally the likelihood of really bad outcomes is very low.