How old are you?

rkbabang
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Posted (edited)
On 5/7/2024 at 12:44 PM, rkbabang said:

You could be right, now that I think about it.  He made a lot on the Fairfax options, but the BAC leaps could have been the BIG one.  I don't remember.

Yeah, I always think about this and the Cornwall Capital guys. I missed an opportunity in November 2022 when Facebook was bombed out. I knew it was cheap. Had a limit order on leaps placed near the bottom that never hit. Wasn't tryting to go all in or anything but it would have been a multi-bagger in short order. That one still smarts! 

Did good on the equity directly but sold too early! 

Edited by tede02

When I was 57 I had surgery to compensate for a torn tendon in my right ankle and caused it to deteriorate over 30 years, giving me plantar fasciitis and pronating enough to make it impossible to run any more. 

When I was 58 I had my left hip replaced, probably because it wore heavily due to the asymmetry caused by that missing tendon.

When I was 59 I was 40 lbs over weight because of a decade of poor diet, combined with increasing sedentary lifestyle  from work, divorce, and that bad ankle. I sometimes found myself wheezing when I walked, which was incredibly scary during COVID, and unfathomable to me given I was a college athlete (practice dummy) on a national championship wrestling team, rode as much as a hundred miles a day in the off season, and after college ran 40 miles a month, half marathons, etc until my late 40s. 

Today I'm 60 and have to take THC edibles to sleep through the night because of the pain of a (presumably) torn rotator cuff in my shoulder.  But I've lost 33 lbs doing hot yoga almost every day for the last 15 months, along with some improvements to my diet. And I got on a weight lifting program this year (along with TRT) which has increased my muscle mass noticeably, even though every morning I wake up with an aching shoulder, and I have to skip some exercises (haven't bench pressed in months) because of the pain. I have an MRI next week, hoping there is an easy arthroscopic fix because shoulder replacement is way harder and rehab takes far longer than hip replacement.

The lesson I wished I had learned before this is that I can't get back all those days I woke up healthy and skipped my run or workout, and ate whatever I wanted. Instead I was forced to put myself through incredibly hard workouts and food choices for over a year just to get back close (but not there) to where my health should have been naturally. Maintenance is so much easier than undoing a decade of bad choices. So my advice to others is, don't take health for granted. Every day I'm grateful that I'm still healthy enough and the pain is not so great that I can still push through it enough to slowly improve my fitness, even if its nowhere near as easy or fast as it was when I was younger.

One of my yoga buddies and me talked about the need to stay ahead of the curve, and how Charlie Munger proactively moved to walkers/wheelchairs to avoid the falls that commonly rapidly accelerate our declines in our last years of life.  I am witnessing what can happen in stark terms today.  Our best dog ever who would turn 12 this summer and was so active and energetic that people thought she was half her age. Three weeks ago she yelped from pain jumping out of the car and it started a downward spiral to where now her back legs are so weak she needs my help to stand, and all she can do is rest all day. I'm in $2,500 into tests and x-rays without a clear diagnoses or treatment plan for recovery, and on the cusp of the decision whether to put her down or not today.

So my advice to everyone is, stay active even if you don't feel like it. Find something you like, or can tolerate, enough to do regularly. If you can't/won't run, then swim or bike or go to fitness classes, or take up weight lifting. Or just go for long walks or take up hiking. Podcasts can make long workouts more tolerable, but they are also useful times to meditate on your day and your life and think more deeply and clearly. Find and create your own healthy habits that can last you a lifetime so when the inevitable setbacks occur, your body is stronger and more ready to help you recover from them. Because it's the setback we can't recover from that is often the cause of our end.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, ValueArb said:

When I was 57 I had surgery to compensate for a torn tendon in my right ankle and caused it to deteriorate over 30 years, giving me plantar fasciitis and pronating enough to make it impossible to run any more. 

When I was 58 I had my left hip replaced, probably because it wore heavily due to the asymmetry caused by that missing tendon.

When I was 59 I was 40 lbs over weight because of a decade of poor diet, combined with increasing sedentary lifestyle  from work, divorce, and that bad ankle. I sometimes found myself wheezing when I walked, which was incredibly scary during COVID, and unfathomable to me given I was a college athlete (practice dummy) on a national championship wrestling team, rode as much as a hundred miles a day in the off season, and after college ran 40 miles a month, half marathons, etc until my late 40s. 

Today I'm 60 and have to take THC edibles to sleep through the night because of the pain of a (presumably) torn rotator cuff in my shoulder.  But I've lost 33 lbs doing hot yoga almost every day for the last 15 months, along with some improvements to my diet. And I got on a weight lifting program this year (along with TRT) which has increased my muscle mass noticeably, even though every morning I wake up with an aching shoulder, and I have to skip some exercises (haven't bench pressed in months) because of the pain. I have an MRI next week, hoping there is an easy arthroscopic fix because shoulder replacement is way harder and rehab takes far longer than hip replacement.

The lesson I wished I had learned before this is that I can't get back all those days I woke up healthy and skipped my run or workout, and ate whatever I wanted. Instead I was forced to put myself through incredibly hard workouts and food choices for over a year just to get back close (but not there) to where my health should have been naturally. Maintenance is so much easier than undoing a decade of bad choices. So my advice to others is, don't take health for granted. Every day I'm grateful that I'm still healthy enough and the pain is not so great that I can still push through it enough to slowly improve my fitness, even if its nowhere near as easy or fast as it was when I was younger.

One of my yoga buddies and me talked about the need to stay ahead of the curve, and how Charlie Munger proactively moved to walkers/wheelchairs to avoid the falls that commonly rapidly accelerate our declines in our last years of life.  I am witnessing what can happen in stark terms today.  Our best dog ever who would turn 12 this summer and was so active and energetic that people thought she was half her age. Three weeks ago she yelped from pain jumping out of the car and it started a downward spiral to where now her back legs are so weak she needs my help to stand, and all she can do is rest all day. I'm in $2,500 into tests and x-rays without a clear diagnoses or treatment plan for recovery, and on the cusp of the decision whether to put her down or not today.

So my advice to everyone is, stay active even if you don't feel like it. Find something you like, or can tolerate, enough to do regularly. If you can't/won't run, then swim or bike or go to fitness classes, or take up weight lifting. Or just go for long walks or take up hiking. Podcasts can make long workouts more tolerable, but they are also useful times to meditate on your day and your life and think more deeply and clearly. Find and create your own healthy habits that can last you a lifetime so when the inevitable setbacks occur, your body is stronger and more ready to help you recover from them. Because it's the setback we can't recover from that is often the cause of our end.

Thank you for sharing and i should do more exercise! All the best!

Edited by Luca

2 minutes ago, Luca said:

Thank you for sharing and i should do more exercise! All the best!

Thanks!

And just in case anyone reading that thinks that I'm depressed or anything, I'm not. I feel better about myself now than I have in years, the shoulder pain is just a bump on the road for me. I am very sad about my dog, but optimistic about both getting healthier and maintaining my fitness for as long as I have left. Two years ago I was depressed to the point that I wondered if I would see 60 or if I even cared to, and I'm very glad to have shaken that awful mindset.

48 minutes ago, ValueArb said:

Thanks!

And just in case anyone reading that thinks that I'm depressed or anything, I'm not. I feel better about myself now than I have in years, the shoulder pain is just a bump on the road for me. I am very sad about my dog, but optimistic about both getting healthier and maintaining my fitness for as long as I have left. Two years ago I was depressed to the point that I wondered if I would see 60 or if I even cared to, and I'm very glad to have shaken that awful mindset.

Great stuff @ValueArb -- at this point, what mostly matters is health and strength in general.

I have gone through the exact journey. After being extremely unhealthy for many years due to work - no sleep, too much alcohol, smoking, eating like shit, stress - everything has changed.

Just turned 70, and I'm way healthier (and happier) than in my late 40's. Never been stronger.

Know that you can turn all of this around with the right program and some discipline.

The human body has amazing regeneration capabilities.

I just turned 71. Advice I can give to you youngsters is use it or loose it,

https://www.bettermovement.org/blog/2012/use-or-lose-looks-like

I still do Tae Kwon Do, among many other physical activities, and I can still kick above my head. 

Keep active mentally. I can't imagine ever retiring. I just published a book last July and this past academic year I taught a new course I created that has nothing to do with electrical engineering, my main field.

Posted (edited)

Being a month from 70 I am physically active and capable.  But age is more than a number and I'm constantly grinding through health issues as are most at my age.  I have no suggestions for others dealing with aging other than Mungers "soldier on" without complaint.  And maybe be thankful for today's medical technology.

Edited by dealraker

21 hours ago, ValueArb said:

Thanks!

Thanks for these posts, they are very helpful.  I’m just a little younger than you (51) and by the end of last year was letting myself get obese again.  I’ve lost just over 40 lbs since Christmas but have been a little discouraged the last 2 weeks because I bruised and fractured a couple of ribs doing a home project and have had to stop any workouts except walking.  I’m going to get back to lifting weights and my rowing machine again as soon as I can. The Dr said at least 6 weeks. Staying motivated to stay in shape isn’t always easy and getting older isn’t always fun. 

On 5/10/2024 at 11:48 AM, ValueArb said:

Nothing like yoga to teach you what you can and can't do, as well as how to restrain yourself from going deep into what you shouldn't. Learning to breathe into the daily motions of life, outside the classroom, has been a mini-epiphany for me. I made a New Years resolution (when I started yoga), to stop grunting whenever I get in and out of a chair, the truck, whatever. I now find that when I drop something (and I do it more frequently with age), I look at it as an opportunity to stretch (and there's no grunting). A little mindfulness goes a long ways.

A handful of us get to the Y 20 or 30 minutes before classes and we've never discussed politics (seriously, never in nearly 6 months). I have no idea how any of my yoga buddies and buddiette's vote and they don't know my choices either. We all like each other nonetheless.

On another subject, I really enjoy your writing / thoughts on businesses and other stuff.