Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha!

Parsad

If I'm not mistaken Harry Long at one point decided that "the board was not worthy of his knowledge" after which he deleted all the topics he had created (SURW was one. EBIX another?). That on itself was a shame... After that, I believe he came back shortly. Maybe then he got banned?

That was my recollection. 

I dont think he was ever banned. 

If I'm not mistaken Harry Long at one point decided that "the board was not worthy of his knowledge" after which he deleted all the topics he had created (SURW was one. EBIX another?). That on itself was a shame... After that, I believe he came back shortly. Maybe then he got banned?

No, he was never banned.  He left on his own accord because you minions had no way of grasping his ginormous intellect.  You fools!  You could have had his trading secrets for free...now it will cost you just under 200 bucks!

Although, if he could sell his book for $200, what do you think someone with an actual successful and astonishing record like Eric could sell his for?  Twacowfca, you guys better sign Eric up now...he has no idea what he's worth yet.  Cheers!

No, he was never banned.  He left on his own accord because you minions had no way of grasping his ginormous intellect.  You fools!  You could have had his trading secrets for free...now it will cost you just under 200 bucks!

Although, if he could sell his book for $200, what do you think someone with an actual successful and astonishing record like Eric could sell his for?  Twacowfca, you guys better sign Eric up now...he has no idea what he's worth yet.  Cheers!

I could sell it for the cost of my reputation, dignity, privacy all rolled into one.  It would be expensive!

I think he has a twitter account not related to investing...

Same guy?

Amazon:

http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/ciu/15/b1/fe35f688ad8d0ad8956e21.L._V382023223_SX200_.jpg

Twitter:

pr[img]oxy.jpg?t=FQQVBBjGAWh0dHBzOi8vdmluZXMuczMuYW1hem9uYXdzLmNvbS9yL3RodW1icy8wNjdDNjNERUYzOTY1NzM1MjYzNjkzMzYxMTUyXzExMjk1NGUzMzhmLjMubXA0XzNlY3NjcXNuN3FMNXA1RXVncWJGaE5la3FJMkhnbzVqVnR1UmNXbkVRTXJKNWRfdzl5UTZqb1U3SFB5YnJBRTQuanBnP3ZlcnNpb25JZD1laE1zejF0c1NJMGJnRHhTa00xVXp5Y01kMzV1UWk4RxQCFgASAA&s=kI_O_FZcomtP63ca5w7Jpproxy.jpg?t=FQQVBBjGAWh0dHBzOi8vdmluZXMuczMuYW1hem9uYXdzLmNvbS9yL3RodW1icy8wNjdDNjNERUYzOTY1NzM1MjYzNjkzMzYxMTUyXzExMjk1NGUzMzhmLjMubXA0XzNlY3NjcXNuN3FMNXA1RXVncWJGaE5la3FJMkhnbzVqVnR1UmNXbkVRTXJKNWRfdzl5UTZqb1U3SFB5YnJBRTQuanBnP3ZlcnNpb25JZD1laE1zejF0c1NJMGJnRHhTa00xVXp5Y01kMzV1UWk4RxQCFgASAA&s=kI_O_FZcomtP63ca5w7JplT8nWaHIM1nN8d78iYWiac

Yup! Eric's definitely got the mojo.  It's called hang in there when you know there is a high probability you're right.  And then double down if you get under water! 

I think his secret sauce would be a hard sale, however.

I think he has a twitter account not related to investing...

Same guy?

Amazon:

http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/ciu/15/b1/fe35f688ad8d0ad8956e21.L._V382023223_SX200_.jpg

Twitter:

pr[img]oxy.jpg?t=FQQVBBjGAWh0dHBzOi8vdmluZXMuczMuYW1hem9uYXdzLmNvbS9yL3RodW1icy8wNjdDNjNERUYzOTY1NzM1MjYzNjkzMzYxMTUyXzExMjk1NGUzMzhmLjMubXA0XzNlY3NjcXNuN3FMNXA1RXVncWJGaE5la3FJMkhnbzVqVnR1UmNXbkVRTXJKNWRfdzl5UTZqb1U3SFB5YnJBRTQuanBnP3ZlcnNpb25JZD1laE1zejF0c1NJMGJnRHhTa00xVXp5Y01kMzV1UWk4RxQCFgASAA&s=kI_O_FZcomtP63ca5w7Jpproxy.jpg?t=FQQVBBjGAWh0dHBzOi8vdmluZXMuczMuYW1hem9uYXdzLmNvbS9yL3RodW1icy8wNjdDNjNERUYzOTY1NzM1MjYzNjkzMzYxMTUyXzExMjk1NGUzMzhmLjMubXA0XzNlY3NjcXNuN3FMNXA1RXVncWJGaE5la3FJMkhnbzVqVnR1UmNXbkVRTXJKNWRfdzl5UTZqb1U3SFB5YnJBRTQuanBnP3ZlcnNpb25JZD1laE1zejF0c1NJMGJnRHhTa00xVXp5Y01kMzV1UWk4RxQCFgASAA&s=kI_O_FZcomtP63ca5w7JplT8nWaHIM1nN8d78iYWiac

Bottom guy is not him.  Cheers!

Sanjeev, you are killing me man!!!! ;D ;D ;D

The irony of the book title and the name of the author, Harry "Long", is simply classic.  I think he should just go with an alias like "Goe Long", and this would have been worth $500, not $200...

Perhaps you are not aware that the author was a daily poster on these boards a couple years back. 

For those who are unaware of the backstory, he was a frequent poster who had a reputation for arrogance and would rudely insult others for their ideas while contributing very few of his own.  He would often refer to his quantitative approach ("our systems") wildly outperforming...but would never share performance data.  I believe several times Sanjeev threatened to ban him for using insulting language (I also believe he insulted Sanjeev himself)...though when I search his posting name nothing appears.  I'm not sure if his disappearance was due to an actual ban or not, but I would suggest the board is better off without him.

As you can tell from his book title and the few pages available on Amazon, Harry writes as though he has a well-established track record and deserves the respect of the investment community.  However, in reality he is a kid who graduated from Rice University within the last few years (I believe 2007, but his linkedin profile is no longer public) and has never had a real job (or at least according to his former linkedin profile).  I was always suspicious that given his background of no career history that he was someone who was just playing around with family money...and then upon googling his father's name today (whom he dedicated the book to), I found this (which mentions a son Harry):

http://www.cruisingworld.com/news/yachtsman-sumner-huey-long-1921-2011

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1081859/

Not that lack of age and experience means anything with regard to potential success (Michelangelo produced the Pietà at age 24)...or that ease of career due to access to family money means anything either...but in a case of an individual under age 30 with no career history and no disclosure of a track record the extreme level of arrogance certainly appears baseless.

Which brings me back to the same conclusion I mentioned earlier...Not sure if trolling or just stupid.

A web search reveals the fact (?) that there are 897 people in the US named Harry Long or Henry Long. :(

I can't remember if I found it due to him, Hester(another former board member), or due to a stock screen, but he wrote a seeking alpha article on CRWS, which was easy money on the table for me. Here is a book review and interview on seeking alpha:

http://seekingalpha.com/instablog/279331-owen-bernard/2095302-book-review-youre-welcome-planet-earth-the-most-powerful-trading-system-ever-publicly-revealed

It actually sounds quite interesting. If it was $20 and a printed copy I would enthusiastically buy it. As it is, I'll just publicly congratulate him on one of the better book titles out there :)

Guest deepValue

Also I believe you have to buy a book before you can review it on Amazon.

I don't believe that's the case. There is a "Amazon Verified Purchase" posting on certain comments.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/community-help/amazon-verified-purchase

You have to have made at least one purchase with an account before you can rate/comment items, but once you make one purchase you can rate items that you did not purchase through Amazon using that account.

Don’t know why you guys are laughing.  If he sold one to his father, his mother, sisters & brothers, he probably made a thousand bucks.

Furthermore, while others scoff, at $5.56 per page this could be one of the most expensive books recently published. I also note that the book ranks #241,990 on Amazon’s best seller (cellar) list.

Also I believe you have to buy a book before you can review it on Amazon. Therefore, one might deduce that there are at least seven in his family since he has seven positive reviews.

For some reason, every now and again, and as recently as last week, I receive an invitation to join Harry’s Linkedin network. I think I’ll pass, but if anyone wants his email address....

Someone I know once got what eventually amounted to $1,000+ a word for a couple of pages of advertising copy he wrote for a friend on a profit sharing deal.  I thought that was exceptional until I learned that BAC 's accountants made $147,000 per word for every word in BAC's 2010 annual report.

I can't stop laughing!!

Of course, it shouldn't come as a surprise, since Harry Long self-declared himself a GOD years ago:

http://www.cornerofberkshireandfairfax.ca/forum/general-discussion/the-10-commandments-of-insurance-investing/msg46138/#msg46138

I'm overwhelmed with gratitude!  What unbridled generosity that such an immortal would bless this earth with his ground breaking mathematical discovery that will compound at 30% annually with zero correlation to the S&P!!  Forget that silly old saying that starts with "If it looks too good to be true...", thats just old school, we are in the modern era and have high speed computers.  It's different this time!  :o

Hmm ::)  Zero correlation.  It doesn't go up when the S&P 500 goes up.  It doesn't go down when the S&P 500 goes down.  A one off?  Or a time series?  If so, does it stay right there.  If not, where does it go?  A vector into another dimension?  . . .

Shave and a haircut -- ? ?  Shave and a haircut -- ? ?  ( with apologies to Who Killed Roger Rabbit ) :)

From book review (or Q&A)

O.B: In regard to your strategy, how much importance does the no-arbitrage principle have in approach?

H.L.: I think Economic "Laws" should best be termed Economic "tendencies". The No-Arbitrage Principle, and its closely related cousin, the Law of One Price, are strong tendencies in markets. Going back to market structure, deviations from these Economic tendencies (inefficiencies) have a strength and duration directly related to the market structures which cause those deviations.

So when one finds a massive inefficiency, which my book empirically proves that we have, the massive inefficiency's size and persistence is directly related to the size and persistence of the market "mis"-structure which causes it.

Is he using a random words generator ? 

...the massive inefficiency's size and persistence is directly related to the size and persistence of the market "mis"-structure which causes it.

This massive inefficiency is also called the "inflated ego" syndrome.  It occurs when parents tell their children over and over again, how wonderful, brilliant and amazing they are, when they have no God-given or accumulated talent, and they then sell the world snake oil to prove they are wonderful, brilliant and amazing just like their parents told them they were! 

It persists both on Wall Street and Main Street.  The only known cure is the lobotomization of the parents before they have children.  Which explains why the world is full of assholes, since it is such a drastic preventative step!  ;D  The depth of the inefficiency can be seen in the amount of unwarranted fees collected by charlatans, crackpots, crooks and swines that swindle the naive, indoctrinated masses through books, trading programs, real estate infomercials and just plain Ponzi schemes.  Cheers!