16yr old emerging fund manager

LowIQinvestor

She's just positioning herself to learn a valuable lesson at a young age.

It's unfortunate, but I think its better to learn expensive lessons early than late!

That's one possible lesson. She could also learn how to make money by successfully marketing herself. If she's lucky she will learn both.

Guest wellmont

I used to date a girl who would get turned on by finance talk. She herself was in finance, but knew little about investing. But she could listen to me all day and it would be sexy for her.

i have run into this phenomenon. but i see it a bit differently. what turned her on was your passion for the subject. women can sense your passion, even if we think it's everyday stuff. you can talk about many subjects but they will instantly know the one you are passionate about. and that makes them passionate.  :-X

Newsflash, how many value investors at the top of the Forbes 500 list too?  Some will claim Buffett, but I'd argue he got there by building a business not pure investing.

I think this sort of video is infuriating to investors on this board because most put in so much work for returns far less then her.  I don't get the technical stuff, but if it really is as easy to watch squiggles and make money for some people why learn any more?  It's not like knowing depreciation schedules or pension accounting is helpful in getting a significant other.  Can you imagine someone saying "Once I brought up LIFO at dinner she said I was the one…"

I invest this way because it makes sense to me, not because it's the best.  I think there are far better and quicker ways to make money, unfortunately that's not what comes natural to me.

I used to date a girl who would get turned on by finance talk. She herself was in finance, but knew little about investing. But she could listen to me all day and it would be sexy for her.

Dude....why didn't you marry her???? ;)

Newsflash, how many value investors at the top of the Forbes 500 list too?  Some will claim Buffett, but I'd argue he got there by building a business not pure investing.

I think this sort of video is infuriating to investors on this board because most put in so much work for returns far less then her.  I don't get the technical stuff, but if it really is as easy to watch squiggles and make money for some people why learn any more?  It's not like knowing depreciation schedules or pension accounting is helpful in getting a significant other.  Can you imagine someone saying "Once I brought up LIFO at dinner she said I was the one…"

I invest this way because it makes sense to me, not because it's the best.  I think there are far better and quicker ways to make money, unfortunately that's not what comes natural to me.

Dude....why didn't you marry her???? ;)

She wouldn't sign the prenup.

I actually know several people who have consistently (i.e. over decades) done very well trading with psychologically-oriented strategies, that one could characterize as "gut feel."  (Although in fairness, a couple that come to mind to have at least a vague value overlay.)  Kind of like the guys profiled in "Market Wizards."  I do think it takes a very special personality to do it, and most people who think they can do it that way wash out.* 

I realize it sounds crazy to some, but it's out there.  I suspect the reason why there is no empirical validation of the effectiveness of "psychological" traders is that it is probably impossible for a researcher to systematize their methods in order to test them.  You can quantify value, and momentum, and measure the results of day-traders writ large - but can you really describe, say, Soros in his prime, in a few simple rules?

That said, value and event-driven investing have treated me and many on this board quite well  :)

*I'd bet this girl is going to end up in the latter category

The time to stop being a Value Investor is exactly when they are getting all the girls.  ;D

Personally I hope that value investing is never very popular. I already think its too popular and wish it wasn't. It would make all our lives a lot easier.

Maybe we could get a few of these women to show up at our dinner and events, as they seem to be almost completely male-dominated!  Cheers!

I don't think this day-trading experience is going to end well.  I'm sure there are plenty of people day-trading again, if a 16 year old actress is having success and getting publicity.  As she says, she doesn't like low-risk type of things, and she's getting a high off the trading.  No fundamentals...at some point you always get burned.  Cheers!

Lots of way to make a buck, god knows I've made some investments I thought were intelligent but were just stupid.

She kind of reminds me of Shia LaBeouf (kid from Wall Street 2) when he said his trading account went from 20K to 300K in 2 and half months.

http://metro.co.uk/2010/10/05/shia-labeouf-i-had-to-learn-to-trade-for-wall-street-money-never-sleeps-541910/

Lots of way to make a buck, god knows I've made some investments I thought were intelligent but were just stupid.

She kind of reminds me of Shia LaBeouf (kid from Wall Street 2) when he said his trading account went from 20K to 300K in 2 and half months.

http://metro.co.uk/2010/10/05/shia-labeouf-i-had-to-learn-to-trade-for-wall-street-money-never-sleeps-541910/

Uh... I'm not going to say he's a liar, but if he isn't, he was doing some really stupid stuff.

Uh... I'm not going to say he's a liar, but if he isn't, he was doing some really stupid stuff.

I agree Scott. If something is too good to be true....

Personally I hope that value investing is never very popular. I already think its too popular and wish it wasn't. It would make all our lives a lot easier.

I'm not convinced that actual value investing is that popular.  Sure, a lot of people claim to be "value investors," but very few of them actually go through financial reports or do much in the way of independent thinking and evaluation regarding the underlying businesses.  It seems like most of these so-called "value investors" just look at the P/E, follow charts to see if the price is below historical averages, or listen to other people that claim to be "value investors" and then hop on the bandwagon with regard to those ideas.

I'm not convinced that actual value investing is that popular.  Sure, a lot of people claim to be "value investors," but very few of them actually go through financial reports or do much in the way of independent thinking and evaluation regarding the underlying businesses.  It seems like most of these so-called "value investors" just look at the P/E, follow charts to see if the price is below historical averages, or listen to other people that claim to be "value investors" and then hop on the bandwagon with regard to those ideas.

Even worse, many of these so called "value investors" get greedy or fearful along with the crowd at exactly the wrong times. Value investing will never become popular because it defies human emotion. Seth Klarman once said that even if the entire investing community learned everything about Warren Buffett and went to Omaha every year, value investing would still not become popular.

The next activist investor  ;D

Speaking of Girls going into high finance,... I might introduce you to some other young lady, she is no Hollywood actress, her name is Genna Salinas. We might disregard the silly term "the next Buffett". She had invested in Google, but at least she seems to me more down to earth while trying to find her personal circle of competence to where she stays and her thoughts seem to be well reasoned. She spoke in front of the big guys like Bill Ackman.

Is This 16-Year-Old Stock Picker the Next Buffett?

2013-02-15

http://www.bloomberg.com/video/is-this-16-year-old-stock-picker-the-next-buffett-lJswdaHVSASgGYCfWGrfzA.html

• 4 weeks later...

The girls are taking over equity investing!! ;)

http://www.cnbc.com/id/100555136

http://fm.cnbc.com/applications/cnbc.com/resources/img/editorial/2013/03/14/100555149-Rachel-Kelly.240x160.jpg?v=1363296840

Every year since 1977, SIFMA has conducted a nationwide competition called the "Stock Market Game," where U.S. students compete to generate the highest returns in a hypothetical $100,000 portfolio. In 2012, it is estimated that 600,000 students from 4th through 12th grades participated.

At the end of the game, students are encouraged to enter into the supplementary "InvestWrite Challenge," an essay competition. For InvestWrite, students choose the publicly traded company that they deem to be the best long-term investment and explain why.

Rachel's essay was selected from a pool of 20,000 applicants as the best in her group, as decided by a panel of teachers and professional investors.

• 2 months later...

Another possible sign of a top...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/meet-dylan-the-daytrader/2013/05/09/00786200-b5d6-11e2-b94c-b684dda07add_print.html

Only 25, Dylan plays the markets with a pot of more than $1 million — $100,000 of his own money earned from trading over the past two years, the rest provided by his bosses and partners at AMR Capital Trading. While many of Dylan’s high school friends are still grinding it out in graduate school or moving up the ladder of barely paid “internships,” Dylan last year was pulling down a six-figure income.

“Trading is fun,” reports Dylan. “I’m genuinely excited most days when I get to the office. I was so excited and jazzed by what I was doing that it was a year before I took a day off. For me, this is a dream job.”

This seems AWFULLY familiar somehow...

I don't think this day-trading experience is going to end well.  I'm sure there are plenty of people day-trading again, if a 16 year old actress is having success and getting publicity.  As she says, she doesn't like low-risk type of things, and she's getting a high off the trading.  No fundamentals...at some point you always get burned.  Cheers!

Did we have similar day traders starting in 2005, 2006 or 2007?

I am just trying to figure out when is our next top.  :)

Right now everything looks quite bullish. I am not sure if this is already the top, or there will be 1-2 more years, and what will cause the bear market.