Berkshire acquires Heinz for 72.5 p/s

Phaceliacapital

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Book review on "Dream Big", a book about 3G that was just recently translated from Portuguese to English.  Apparently it's now available on Amazon.

https://www.santangelsreview.com/2014/04/28/book-review-and-lessons-from-dream-big-a-glimpse-inside-the-strategies-and-tactics-of-3g-capital/

Really enjoyed this one, thanks for the recommendation.  It's not hard to see why WEB loves these guys.  They became some of the world's richest men by creating a dream atmosphere for the any PSDs (poor, smart, and a deep desire to be rich) and a nightmare for any underperforming senior executive.  At one point, 10% of their bank's workforce was removed every year due to underperformance and it wasn't uncommon for them to appoint as CEO in one of their companies an employee who was a mere seven years out of school.  By setting up a salary plus incentive bonus compensation structure to reward only results, they made multi-millionaires out of hundreds (thousands?) of employees many of who were under the age of 40.

Reminds me of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtDIijmFbqw

Interesting interview with the author of Dream Big in The New York Times.

http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2014/05/05/a-q-a-with-the-author-of-a-buffett-praised-book-on-3g-capital/?_php=true&_type=blogs&emc=edit_dlbkpm_20140505&nl=business&nlid=64662544&_r=0

It hadn't struck me until reading the interview that one of the more important aspects of the BRK relationship with 3G might be to expand the geographic footprint of the BRK's deal.  As Warren remarked at the annual meeting, the phone isn't ringing from outside the United States.  With their brewery work, they strike me as having a much broader world view and, more important, a substantial set of contacts.

Interesting interview with the author of Dream Big in The New York Times.

http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2014/05/05/a-q-a-with-the-author-of-a-buffett-praised-book-on-3g-capital/?_php=true&_type=blogs&emc=edit_dlbkpm_20140505&nl=business&nlid=64662544&_r=0

It hadn't struck me until reading the interview that one of the more important aspects of the BRK relationship with 3G might be to expand the geographic footprint of the BRK's deal.  As Warren remarked at the annual meeting, the phone isn't ringing from outside the United States.  With their brewery work, they strike me as having a much broader world view and, more important, a substantial set of contacts.

Nice little interview. I didn't realize Warren recommended the book during the AGM!

View From The Top: Carlos Brito, CEO, Anheuser-Busch InBev

Stanford Graduate School of Business Dec 2, 2013

It's not about me and my ego — it's about the company building something that's bigger than us, that is going to be here for hundreds of years. Carlos Brito

• 1 month later...

http://brooklyninvestor.blogspot.ca/2014/07/heinz-update-whos-next.html

HNZ averaged an operating margin of 14.9% for six years.  And then comes 3G and boosts that to 21.5% in less than a year.  In a single year, they took out 7.1% of revenues in costs;  4.4% out of SGA and 2.7% from COGS.

They increased operating earnings +47% in less than a year.

Boom! As always, thanks for posting.

Incredible. Another one of Buffett's 'expensive' acquisitions (after BNSF) that looks much cheaper in hindsight.

;)

The EPS and EBITDA estimates for the year ending April 2013 and 2014 and respective valuations at the time (at $72.50/share) were:

EPS      P/E        EBITDA                EV/EBITDA

April 2013e          $3.58    20.3x    $2,057 million        13.6x

April 2014e          $3.78    19.2x    $2,195 million        12.8x

• 3 weeks later...

You can say the same about John Malone/Druckenmiller/most of outsider CEOs etc. Talented and hard working young people often have fresh pairs of eyes. Especially in tech/retail, I would be worried if the top guy is over 50.

• 3 months later...

From the 10Q, I see that Heinz had pre-tax income of about 214 million in the 3rd quarter. Expenses included about 138 million of "one-time" items (severance, restructuring charges, asset write-offs etc). If we take out these expenses, pre-tax income was about 352 million. The income tax rate was about 18.7 percent this quarter. I don't know if this is close to their long-term rate, but let's assume a 20% tax rate. Then after-tax income amounts to about 282 million. After paying Buffett 180 million in preferred dividends, that is still 100 million in quarterly earnings that belong to common equity. Since 3G paid 4.25 billion for their 50% share of Heinz common, it looks like they are getting an annual return of about 4.7% on their money at the moment. I think this is pretty impressive progress in just a year or so. I am sure 3G will be wringing out more costs as time goes by.

I am not sure how happy the employees are, but the numbers look good. :-)

Guest longinvestor

I am sure 3G will be wringing out more costs as time goes by.

I am not sure how happy the employees are, but the numbers look good. :-)

At the BRK meeting in May, Munger defended 3G's war on excessive cost @Heinz. Specifically, layers of management. It appears KO finds itself similarly situated. "Hiding behind brands"?

I like the turn of phrase "Hiding behind brands."  Did you mean that the brands had their own management layers, where management across brands would permit a decrease in managers?  Thanks.  18 months later, I am still fascinated by this deal.

• 4 months later...

http://www.wsj.com/articles/kraft-in-talks-to-be-acquired-by-3g-capital-1427238184

Kraft in Talks to be Acquired by 3G Capital / Heinz

Does Kraft own Cadbury? Or is that under Mondelez? This is ironic given that Buffett criticized the Cadbury acquisition and the simultaneous sale of the pizza business, a few years ago, and ended up selling his shares. Now he will own probably a 50% stake lol.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/kraft-in-talks-to-be-acquired-by-3g-capital-1427238184

Kraft in Talks to be Acquired by 3G Capital / Heinz

Does Kraft own Cadbury? Or is that under Mondelez? This is ironic given that Buffett criticized the Cadbury acquisition and the simultaneous sale of the pizza business, a few years ago, and ended up selling his shares. Now he will own probably a 50% stake lol.

Yes, but in a company that is much better managed under Lehman and doesn't misallocated capital :)