Ads . . .

zarley

Don't you guys remember that the MSN Board was often slow and even not responding at times?

This new site is working great, it does not cost you a dime and you are complaining about a few little adds that "distract" your sight? Shame on you!

Cardboard

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What the hell is going on here?  Have some of you completely lost your minds?

Over the winter, Sanj stepped up to the plate and set up this great new home for the BRK/FFH community.  IMO, he has achieved our collective goal of transitioning away from MSN...and I would say that this new home is even better.  Nobody particularly loves ads, but we need to pay the bills in one way or another.

So here's my proposal:

1) If somebody doesn't like the ads, please send Sanj a cheque for $500US or $600CDN and then Sanj will be able turn the ads off until June 2010.  In June 2010, perhaps another generous anti-ad sponsor will step up to the plate with another $500US so that we can turn the ads off until June 2011.

2) If you do not send Sanj a cheque, then shut-the-f*ck-up.

SJ

Don't you guys remember that the MSN Board was often slow and even not responding at times?

This new site is working great, it does not cost you a dime and you are complaining about a few little adds that "distract" your sight? Shame on you!

Cardboard

Yes, the MSN Board was excruciatingly slow, this board is excellent. Sanjeev has done an excellent job.

And if the ads bother someone very much there are ways to avoid them.  I can't understand why anyone would surf the web using Microsoft's horrible IE browser anyway.  I use Firefox w/ its adblock add-on and haven't seen an ad on the internet in years (on this site or anywhere else).  After seeing this thread I turned off adblock just to see what everyone was griping over and I don't think the ads here are very disruptive at all.  There are some sites that become unreadable without adblock turned on.  I think I'll try to remember to disable my adblock once and a while when visiting this site so I can click on an ad or two, now that I know they are there.

--Eric

I am sorry, but this is a waste of bits.  The utility of the site (outstanding) is no different and the aesthetics are easily ignored.  Plus, there is software that will block out the ads if you are that torqued out of joint.  It's not like a chain of pop-ups erupt with every click.  Jeez

Sanjeev is entitled to recover his costs.  In fact, it's his brain child.  He can do whatever he wants.  Thank you, sir.

Is this the same Eric that left a while back ago?

No.  I joined the original board sometime in 2007 (I think) and have never left, nor have I been involved in any heated arguments on this board like the Eric you are referring to.  I read the board frequently but don't post very much.

--Eric

I have no problem with the ads, sorry to say that I never even really noticed them until it was brought up here, which probably isn't a big help to Sanj. Has the market got people so stressed, or is this just a general decline in being appreciative of what we get. Keep up the good work, I for one appreciate it.

Dan

Damn...

I was just about to ask Sanj if I could advertise the new web-based business I am starting: "Crip's Mortgage and Romantic Networking Emporium". Alas, I guess I'll need to advertise elsewhere.  :'(

-Crip

Damn...

I was just about to ask Sanj if I could advertise the new web-based business I am starting: "Crip's Mortgage and Romantic Networking Emporium". Alas, I guess I'll need to advertise elsewhere.  :'(

-Crip

Those are two very unique businesses you've combined Crip.  Can you send me a prospectus!  ;D  Cheers!

I go on so many forums im used to ads. You learn to ignore them after a while.

That's not helping though. All the google ads on the board need to be clicked to pay out anything, so if everyone just gets really good at ignoring them, you suck up with those ads (may even see more coming in order to meet target :-)) but not helping a dime.

So, great! Some of you can ignore them and those that want to help the site out will click on them. Hows that work?

It's borderline disgusting how disrespectful some have been to Sanjeev about the ads.  I'm blown away.

Sanjeev, any idea on how much you make per click?  Is it different rates for different ads or all the same?

Guest JackRiver

Parsad

I understand that you'll be able to boot me from this site if you don't like what I have to say, but I personally think the ads are in poor taste.  Remember, the posters are the content providers for your site.  We are no more getting something for free than we are giving something for free. 

So the way I see it we are all even, that $500 dollars per year buys you your replies to Zarley.  Please remove the ads.  They serve no purpose and $500/year is chump change.

Yours

Jack River

No problem Jack.  How about YOU pay the $500 annually then?

Parsad

Your reply to me is why I'm not paying the $500 dollars.  I'm not trying to be cute or needlessly argumentative, but for your $500 dollars you get to dictate certain things.  You get to respond to others on your terms while others are subjected, at times, to your terms.  I can't tell you to take a hike if you don't like something I'm saying, nor can I take a childish stance by shooting back, "How about YOU pay the $500 annually then?"  Because that reply misses the points of my previous post, that I think the ads are in poor taste (i really hope you get rid of them completely), that, $500 dollars is a small price to pay for a certain amount of control and discretion of the discourse, and that we, the members, supply the content which makes for a sort of quid pro quo (i'm trying to dispel the notion that the site is provided FREE of charge).

Now, I shouldn't do this because I run the risk of proving my point by being booted from the site, but if I put up the $500 dollars (If I cover the cost) and you supply the time, will you afford to me 51% of the control? (I can find somebody to supply the time if you prefer not to)  If the control point I make above is total nonsense, then you should not hesitate in taking my $500 dollars or if you prefer absolute control, you will refuse my offer.

This need not be a pissing contest:  I really feel the ads are in poor taste.

Yours

Jack River

If the control point I make above is total nonsense, then you should not hesitate in taking my $500 dollars or if you prefer absolute control, you will refuse my offer.

Jack, I really don't think the issue is control.  I really really really don't think it is.  Can we put this issue to rest?

Guest JackRiver

It's borderline disgusting how disrespectful some have been to Sanjeev about the ads.  I'm blown away.

I'd just take the "borderline" out if I may - And if I were a moderator, we'd have a couple fewer members

Right.  That's the solution.  Get rid of people you disagree with.  

Yours

Jack River

Guest JackRiver

If the control point I make above is total nonsense, then you should not hesitate in taking my $500 dollars or if you prefer absolute control, you will refuse my offer.

Jack, I really don't think the issue is control.  I really really really don't think it is.  Can we put this issue to rest?

Let's give it a little more time for Parsads reply.

Yours

Jack River

"Right.  That's the solution.  Get rid of people you disagree with."

At times like these, I think Munger might say: "Sometimes you have to throw some raisins away in order to get rid of the turds".

Besides, Mr. River can always start his own site and enjoy the benefits of his sparkling personality.  I'm sure people will clamor to join his site when it starts - maybe, as a good sport, you could provide him a free link from here.

:)

Your reply to me is why I'm not paying the $500 dollars.  I'm not trying to be cute or needlessly argumentative, but for your $500 dollars you get to dictate certain things.  You get to respond to others on your terms while others are subjected, at times, to your terms.  I can't tell you to take a hike if you don't like something I'm saying, nor can I take a childish stance by shooting back, "How about YOU pay the $500 annually then?"  

Because that reply misses the points of my previous post, that I think the ads are in poor taste (i really hope you get rid of them completely), that, $500 dollars is a small price to pay for a certain amount of control and discretion of the discourse, and that we, the members, supply the content which makes for a sort of quid pro quo (i'm trying to dispel the notion that the site is provided FREE of charge).

Now, I shouldn't do this because I run the risk of proving my point by being booted from the site, but if I put up the $500 dollars (If I cover the cost) and you supply the time, will you afford to me 51% of the control? (I can find somebody to supply the time if you prefer not to)  If the control point I make above is total nonsense, then you should not hesitate in taking my $500 dollars or if you prefer absolute control, you will refuse my offer.

Jack,

A few observations:

1) I think you are seriously overstating the issue of "control."  I have been associated with this board and its predecessor for many years, and I can count on one hand the number of people that Sanj turfed for behavioural reasons (although spammers and the short-and-distort crowd were turfed shortly after they appeared).  This was only done after repeated warnings and it was done to maintain a civil atmosphere.  It sucks that people have to be turfed on occasion, but my experience is that boards will not work if some basic restrictions on behaviour are not imposed.  Yahoo boards come to mind.... 

2) With respect to content, we all voluntarily participate in this board.  There are no minimum posting requirements like the VIC board, so any contribution that any of us make is at our own behest.  Your posting contribution can be large or small as you see fit (but personally, I would hope that you make it large as you bring excellent insight to many issues).  Similarly, we all have equal benefit of the posts (including lurkers) so it's not like Sanj is getting a proprietary stream of intellectual content just for himself.

3) While the benefits of the board accrue to all of us equally, the financial burden is disproportionately on a single person.  Now some people have made statements to the effect that US$500 is no big deal.....but usually we make those statements from the perspective of our own financial situation.  So, sure, if somebody has a $1 million portfolio, then scraping up US$500 per year might not be a big deal.  On the other hand, I know for a fact that there are people from a broad range of economic circumstances on this board, and for some of those people US$500 per year is meaningful. 

4) Beyond the financial costs is the administrative burden.  All of us are busy, but the requirement to register new members, maintain the site, and occasionally fulfill the role of referreeing an acrimonious thread falls upon a single person.

In conclusion, I am very disappointed in the bitching and moaning on this subject.  In a moment of weakness, Sanj agreed to set up this site for our use.  He dedicates a significant amount of time and energy to it, and a chunk of money.  If he wants to offset his costs, I say let him.  But for god's sake, drop the bitching before he comes to his senses and abandons the whole effort....I've seen it happen elsewhere.

SJ

I like the ads. 

As a Google adwords advertiser myself, and also knowing with extreme detail the content of this site, I find it interesting to see the advertisements that get displayed based on the content of the pages. 

It's a fluke that I get to examine the Google Adwords model from this unique perspective.

One more free benefit from my expensive membership fee . . and I'm learning a lot about local businesses in Fairfax VA too!

First off I want to thank Sanjeev for providing this forum and for maintaining and supervising this board.  I have learned an immense amount from the posts of the members and want to say thank you for posting your knowledge and thoughts.

As to the ads, they are unobtrusive and will help pay the bills Sanjeev has to keep this board up.

Last, I SECOND StubbleJumper's advice to those complaining!!!!!!

GAF

First off, thanks to the whiners for getting all complainey about the ads.  I too use Firefox with Adblock, so I'd have had no idea the ads were even there if a few malcontents weren't making such a stink about it.  That said, are you for real?  Do you really give a fig whether there are a couple of ads on a website for which somebody else is carrying the cost for your benefit, or are you just being silly trolls?  I am so proud to have raised a houseful of children with more sense and maturity than to ever carry on in such a manner.

Now I'm going to go turn off Adblock for this site and start clicking like crazy.  I only hope the two minutes it will cost me every now and then -- considerably less time than was wasted by this thread -- will result in a measurable amount of revenue for the site.

Sanjeev, thanks for sponsoring the site, and beyond the financial commitment, thanks even more for all the time and hard work I'm sure it took out of your already busy life to make it happen and keep it happening.

I certainly have no problems with the ads.   We should all be thanking Sanjeev for all he's done rather than complaining about things being in "poor taste".   But then there are lots of people in this world who expect something for nothing.

I think Jack River has already done significant damage to this board by the way he kept pushing Ericopoly's buttons trying to get a response.   I can only hope that having the ads is offensive enough to him that he leaves for good.