Sequoia Fund Investor Day Transcript

redskin

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone know what Sequoia's returns would have been without berkshire? I'm assuming it has almost always been held (but not certain on that). If you do the annualized 20% with a 20% allocation, there goes the outperformance against the S&P 500.

Does anyone know what Sequoia's returns would have been without berkshire? I'm assuming it has almost always been held (but not certain on that). If you do the annualized 20% with a 20% allocation, there goes the outperformance against the S&P 500.

Interesting question.. I would like to know if someone's done the math here as well..

The total out-performance vs S&P since 1970 is 2.65% so if you backed out the 21% annual from BRK, did the rest of the portfolio really add value?

Guest longinvestor

Interesting question.. I would like to know if someone's done the math here as well..

The total out-performance vs S&P since 1970 is 2.65% so if you backed out the 21% annual from BRK, did the rest of the portfolio really add value?

+1

If you were one of the Buffett partners that rolled into Sequoia in 1970,  what did you learn? 2% outperformance over 50 years is good but if Sequoia was carried by Berkshire for all those years?

+1

If you were one of the Buffett partners that rolled into Sequoia in 1970,  what did you learn? 2% outperformance over 50 years is good but if Sequoia was carried by Berkshire for all those years?

But I give them credit to have the fortitude to hold a major position in Berkshire for such a long period. Other managers could've done the same but they didn't.

+1

But I give them credit to have the fortitude to hold a major position in Berkshire for such a long period. Other managers could've done the same but they didn't.

Others managers also didn't have the friendship or capital gain taxes to pay. ;)

+1. So what if their outperformance mostly came from holding Berkshire? Others had the chance to hold it and they didn't. Berkshire's own outperformance also comes from a small number of sources. Also returns of 2% over S&P is nothing to sneeze at.

Is their holding of berkshire due to skill or the fact that Ruane went to school with Buffett? I'm sure there was a sense of loyalty there. If all of your outperformance (before taxes) is due to one holding, how does one determine if it were skill or luck (especially given the luck of the classroom)? Furthermore, If I had huge capital gains, it's hard to sell - even if you think it's fairly valued or slightly overvalued.

In their 4Q 2016 letter, Sequoia pitched 10-year performance excluding cash and Valeant in the second paragraph of their letter as evidence of their ability to pick stocks.

If they're going to use that horseshit logic, it should be fair to use it against them by excluding Berkshire on the upside.

Guest longinvestor

So, in the rarified field of managers who have managed to best the index over 50 years, we see that Ruane did it by riding on Berkshire's 10% out performance; Good that he held on for all these years. But who else has beaten the index over 30, 40 or 50 years? A few others Davis, Gardner and lately Meacham have held significant %ages in Berkshire. It is amazing that one man appears to have carried everyone else. And how about all those who have not beaten the index? Well, Johnnie, that's your problem, not theirs.