Chess

Cod Liver Oil

I am teaching chess club with my IBM bro at my kids' school. As I get back into it, there are a lot of parallels with investing: pattern recognition, holistic strategy, psychology, time dependence, fitness, character etc..  Positioning is more important than material.  Chess is over 1000 years old and hasn't evolved very much but remains relevant.  It is a useful mental model which is influencing my tactical playbook.

Edited by Cod Liver Oil

I play daily on chess.com, Im not a whiz but I enjoy it. I play 3 min games and sometimes 1 min because I like the “instinctual moves”. I enjoy the game. I have never taken it seriously enough to start to memorize the numerous named openings and its counter etc. I almost feel like that would take a little bit of the fun away from it for me, everything I have learned to recognize has come from falling for it multiple times until I figured out something that worked most of the time. Start to recognize patterns, much of the opening moves and counters are very similar after a while, the middle comes fluctuate, and the end game comes back to tactics that help if they are learned. (something I should spend more time on haha)

55 minutes ago, Blugolds11 said:

I play daily on chess.com, Im not a whiz but I enjoy it. I play 3 min games and sometimes 1 min because I like the “instinctual moves”. I enjoy the game. I have never taken it seriously enough to start to memorize the numerous named openings and its counter etc. I almost feel like that would take a little bit of the fun away from it for me, everything I have learned to recognize has come from falling for it multiple times until I figured out something that worked most of the time. Start to recognize patterns, much of the opening moves and counters are very similar after a while, the middle comes fluctuate, and the end game comes back to tactics that help if they are learned. (something I should spend more time on haha)

Funny you mention this. I played all the time up until maybe high school when it got ruined by people memorizing strategy and learning different technical styles. Nothing better than just playing pure instinct and reaction vs what the game essentially turns into at the highest competitive levels. 

Like anything, the higher up you go the less enjoyable it gets - when everyone is playing patterns and the very technical, you might as well just play a computer; then they meet the disruptive (applied game theory), and the technical/pattern players all have a tough time. After that, match two disruptive's in a fast game; and you have entertainment! Funded quite a few pints back in the day  😇

SD

Edited by SharperDingaan

I play blitz and bullet on chess.com almost every day. been stagnant with my rating for years. just accepted this is where i am as i dont put extra effort in. 1300-1400 blitz and 1100-1300 bullet. Love playing!

Also watch periodically I like Chessbrahs, John Bartholomew, and Hikaru

Queens gambit as white, Scandinavian as black. 

I used to play quite a bit, and got into the 1900 range, but don't play anymore.

My top chess highlight was beating a master in a tournament.

My second highlight was when I largely crushed everyone at work for months, but then lost badly seven times in a row against a random co-worker. Then he revealed that he was the third best player in Canada.

The chess engine stuff and algos are kind of poison like in investing.  I like to meditate over the board for a good long time. When I introduced chess clocks to the kids, their thinking totally disintegrated. Automated operations are cool in Amazon warehouses but heavy data dependency is a profitable bore in human activity. I stalk investments  sometimes for years like you stalk mate in chess.  I guess its like hunting. The long game has always appealed to me. Mixing metaphors, guys like Greg do a great job playing the short and long game at the same time. Sanjeev, I love the way you can plot through historical games on lichess.org.. Don't rush me!!!!! I enjoy owning Nintendo and MSGE and waiting for them to work. Blitz is cool but I prefer letting a game sit on the table for a few days with occasional skirmishes.

Edited by Cod Liver Oil

16 hours ago, Gregmal said:

Funny you mention this. I played all the time up until maybe high school when it got ruined by people memorizing strategy and learning different technical styles. Nothing better than just playing pure instinct and reaction vs what the game essentially turns into at the highest competitive levels. 

Yup, thats why I like the fast stuff, see something and react. The funny thing was, when I did once years ago try to learn an opening, say the “London” and get a pieces to their “spot” there are so many variables, and I was concerned with playing “theory” or what I was “supposed” to play that it took away my gut reaction and instinct, I actually played worse because I was concerned with the absolute best way to play. That probably is more important when you get into the higher ELOs, one slip up and you’re done, but at my paltry 1400 ish level, sooner or later I…or the other guy is gonna goof and open the door for the tides to turn. 

I sometimes use chess.com game review just to see how well I played, accuracy levels and sometimes Im high 90’s and sometimes Im low 70’s, low 70’s could still win the game often times, but I figure it depends on who I’m playing. Also I’ve noticed at certain times, weekdays vs weekends, nights, vs mid day you get a lot of people from around the world and often similar locations. For instance if I am 1300-1400 and play at one time I might go on a 7 win streak and think wow, Im on fire today…and then play on a mid day and lose 7 in a row, and get smoked doing it. 

But like you said, memorizing 10 openings, and their variations, and the names, and the counters, to me seems like work and takes the fun out of it. Probably why I’ll always be stuck in that 14-1500 range, with a little more effort sure I could increase and ELO but would I have more fun doing it? I dont think so personally because IM having fun where Im at now. 

@Cod Liver Oil I remember Bobby talking about a new type of chess he was proposing, random starting type of stuff, basically removing the ability to have homogenized moves and play more from instinct. Would probably be more fun to watch. I do understand what he is saying about them basically reducing chess to what they are “supposed” to play. Removes that element of creativity and randomness. You will literally never ever see another game like this at the highest levels. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObmFR5Dz7Ac

The engines and ability to back test 50 different openings/moves and look for the best move based on probability 50 moves deep has changed the game. Its not really all that different than Gary or Bobby used to do years ago, they just did it from past games played, with pen/paper or a board and it took 20x longer because they had to test manually. So maybe they are a little salty that it comes easier for the newer generation via technology rather than back in their day. 

There are some interests that I have that I enjoy going 110% into, learning it inside and out, because that increases enjoyment, but some things are fine just being middle of the pack. Take for instance fishing, some guys have 100K boat, 50 rods for every possible presentation and scenario, could go tit for tat with a wildlife biologist and a Navy sonar man, some people just sit on a bank and throw a line out with a worm. Im somewhere in the middle and love it. 

Would be fun to set up some chess games with members online, or a tournament, even if Im dead last LOL. Usually just play whoever they assign me to but might be fun if anyone is interested. Haven’t tried lichess, just chess.com. 

Yea I generally played super aggressive and would sacrifice piece for piece until ultimately someone made one mistake and at the end of the day piece by piece if you held that one piece advantage you'd win. The best were the looks on peoples faces 5 moves in when id just take their queen with my queen and happily let their king take my queen. Most didnt know how to play without a queen when really it shouldnt matter. 

1 hour ago, Blugolds11 said:

That probably is more important when you get into the higher ELOs, one slip up and you’re done, but at my paltry 1400 ish level, sooner or later I…or the other guy is gonna goof and open the door for the tides to turn. 

At lower-mid ELOs the winner is the person that makes the second to last blunder.

4 hours ago, Gregmal said:

Yea I generally played super aggressive and would sacrifice piece for piece until ultimately someone made one mistake and at the end of the day piece by piece if you held that one piece advantage you'd win. The best were the looks on peoples faces 5 moves in when id just take their queen with my queen and happily let their king take my queen. Most didnt know how to play without a queen when really it shouldnt matter. 

Yup, so true!  Cheers!

On 11/8/2023 at 10:47 AM, Blugolds11 said:

Would be fun to set up some chess games with members online, or a tournament, even if Im dead last LOL. Usually just play whoever they assign me to but might be fun if anyone is interested. Haven’t tried lichess, just chess.com. 

I'd be down.

Could set up a bracket for everyone who wanted to participate.  

Would just have to settle on time control. Bitz or Rapid, Could do them as dailys. But then it may take weeks to complete.