Things the FTC Should Focus On

Castanza

1 hour ago, Castanza said:

Since the FTC has been so busy as of late “protecting consumers.” What are some things you wish they would target? 

- Carrier locked cell phones (AT&T) 

- Subscription services for features in cars (BMW proposed subscription for heated seats) 

Problem solved already.

https://www.theverge.com/2023/9/7/23863258/bmw-cancel-heated-seat-subscription-microtransaction

I think the biggest tax on consumers are frivolous lawsuits but tort reform is not an FTC issue.

Forcing union membership is another issue. I have nothing against unions per say, but they literally force some workers to join.

Also, Non compete agreements should be forbidden for all but the highest rank managers. They are already forbidden in CA and it's large boon for their economy.

Edited by Spekulatius

3 hours ago, Spekulatius said:

Problem solved already.

https://www.theverge.com/2023/9/7/23863258/bmw-cancel-heated-seat-subscription-microtransaction

I think the biggest tax on consumers are frivolous lawsuits but tort reform is not an FTC issue.

Forcing union membership is another issue. I have nothing against unions per say, but they literally force some workers to join.

Also, Non compete agreements should be forbidden for all but the highest rank managers. They are already forbidden in CA and it's large boon for their economy.

you're actually not legally required to join a union.  and if you're a member of one you are permitted to resign.

28 minutes ago, dwy000 said:

you're actually not legally required to join a union.  and if you're a member of one you are permitted to resign.

If you work in a Union shop and don’t join; life will be a living Hell for you. You’ll get overloaded with work and abused in many ways. After all you have no recourse or representative. 

3 hours ago, Spekulatius said:

Problem solved already.

I did just see this with BMW haha but something tells me auto makers will be pushing this very hard the next decade. Especially as we move to more EVs that a much more integrated with software suites. Not going to be a fun world to live in if it’s not kept in check. 

2 hours ago, Castanza said:

If you work in a Union shop and don’t join; life will be a living Hell for you. You’ll get overloaded with work and abused in many ways. After all you have no recourse or representative. 

That's true - but the FTC can't fix that part of it, just the legal stuff