Movies and TV shows (general recommendation thread)

Liberty

I started watching Dumb Money last night on Netflix, and it's looking good.

It's about Roaring Kitty the GameStop saga. Decided to stop early, in order to restart watching with the wife, who also find these kind of movies entertaining (eg Wolf of WS or The Big Short). 

Has anyone watched it yet? 

1 hour ago, keegomaster said:

It's about Roaring Kitty the GameStop saga. Decided to stop early, in order to restart watching with the wife, who also find these kind of movies entertaining (eg Wolf of WS or The Big Short). 

Has anyone watched it yet? 

I use to love that documentary type. I got into it when watching the “Meltdown” on PBS Frontline. Or that episode about MerrilLynch merger with BoA. That was just great TV. 

PBS Frontline is/was just awesome. 

but being a traditionalist I never got into this “new age” Netflixization of documentaries. I watched the one about Carl Icahn on HBO. It was ok. 

Maybe because I watch/listen to so much business/economics TV:podcast that I find documentaries not that interesting. 

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Spekulatius said:

Apple has another winner with “Masters of the air”.

Top notch show throughout (cast, production, special effects, storyline).

Unlike Argylle!  Looked like a bad idea to start with...why put in $200M. 

The movie business is pretty damn tough unless you're Blumhouse or Tyler Perry!  Cheers!

17 hours ago, Spekulatius said:

Apple has another winner with “Masters of the air”.

Top notch show throughout (cast, production, special effects, storyline).

I am still dragging myself kicking and screaming through The Pacific 

On 2/13/2024 at 1:13 AM, Parsad said:

Episode 5 of "True Detectives:  Night Country" was just really damn good!  Recommend this year's series.  Cheers!

Oof. Finished watching the latest season, and what a mess it was. Incoherent plot that went nowhere and had no internal logic. Terribly written characters, pointless callbacks to the (much better) first season...I could go on and on. I'm amazed that reviews have been mostly positive. It's just not for me I suppose.

4 hours ago, Pauly said:

Oof. Finished watching the latest season, and what a mess it was. Incoherent plot that went nowhere and had no internal logic. Terribly written characters, pointless callbacks to the (much better) first season...I could go on and on. I'm amazed that reviews have been mostly positive. It's just not for me I suppose.

Completely agree! Very depressive!

Waste of time!

I think for True Detective it was depressing but perhaps that was the intent. After all, it was in a small town in the middle Alaska after that the “last sunset”. 

I personally liked it. 

what is not clear yet to me what was the back story about the “tongue”

How it ended and the number of people involved reminded me of Murder on Orient Express. Very cool 

15 hours ago, TorontoRaptorsFan said:

Season 2 of Tokyo Vice has been great. 

the last scene when they burned the house down and realize they don’t have the car keys, and have to walk in the middle of snow, kind of reminded me of Pauli and Christopher from Sopranos getting stuck in the forest in the middle of winter.  

4 hours ago, Xerxes said:

the last scene when they burned the house down and realize they don’t have the car keys, and have to walk in the middle of snow, kind of reminded me of Pauli and Christopher from Sopranos getting stuck in the forest in the middle of winter.  

Fyi people might not appreciate hearing about the last scene in a series they are watching

Just now, jouni1 said:

Fyi people might not appreciate hearing about the last scene in a series they are watching

a fair point if I was talking about the season finale. This is just a random scene mid-season. 

On 1/22/2024 at 3:00 PM, keegomaster said:

super pumped is the best show out there right now, I was more surprised than anyone, esp if you like these

I did not like Dumb money. I felt that the actor portraying Roaring Kitty was bland and felt the story was poorly told.

On True detective /Night Country, I personally liked the show, but I agree there was some weakness in storytelling especially Ep 3&4. I did feel they tied it up decently at the end. Acting was great. 

Yeah I  thought similarly to you re. Dumb Money, Spec.

If you liked Super Pumped Hollabread, I'd highly recommend WeCrashed and The Dropout if you haven't already seen them.

I preferred them both to Super Pumped; though I watched it straight after the former 2 so it's possible I had some business drama fatigue going on.

I thought the woman (I should know her name) who played Elizabeth Holmes in The Dropout did a fantastic job - she nailed a lot of her mannerisms and all.