Movies and TV shows (general recommendation thread)

Liberty

Watched Kevin Costner's Horizon...very disappointing.  Only bright spots were when Costner was on the screen himself, pretty much playing John Dutton from Yellowstone!

I love Westerns, but this was completely disjointed and uses every Western story we've already seen in the last 75 years.

Better off just watching an old Sergio Leone classic!  Cheers!

Agreed, Horizon was bad, and Im a diehard western fan, and thats why I’ll also watch the other 3, even if they suck because we hardly ever get westerns anymore as a genre, hopefully that will change with the popularity of Yellowstone and the spin offs, we’ve talked about this before, how there is Fast and Furious 15 or whatever and Hollywood makes a western once every decade or something. 

Anyway Im trying to give them the benefit of the doubt, 1st episode is slow, hopefully it will pick up through the series, I felt like the characters were generic, actors mediocre at best, Costner was good in his role but the story was kinda lame too, felt like a low budget film with 1 big name star and elementary script.  

1 hour ago, Blugolds said:

Agreed, Horizon was bad, and Im a diehard western fan, and thats why I’ll also watch the other 3, even if they suck because we hardly ever get westerns anymore as a genre, hopefully that will change with the popularity of Yellowstone and the spin offs, we’ve talked about this before, how there is Fast and Furious 15 or whatever and Hollywood makes a western once every decade or something. 

Anyway Im trying to give them the benefit of the doubt, 1st episode is slow, hopefully it will pick up through the series, I felt like the characters were generic, actors mediocre at best, Costner was good in his role but the story was kinda lame too, felt like a low budget film with 1 big name star and elementary script.  

Same reason I'll be watching as well...I'm also a huge Costner fan when he's in Westerns...Silverado, Dances With Wolves, Open Range, Yellowstone, Wyatt Earp, now Horizon! 

But for those that don't love Westerns as much, I thought I would just let them know not to waste their time.  🙂  Cheers!

https://www.reuters.com/lifestyle/why-house-dragon-separated-older-younger-actors-alicent-rhaenyra-2022-09-22/

It is interesting, but I always do not like this (also when they did it for the first Daario Naharis) despite the fact that both new actresses objectivelly are no less or perhaps even better and this totaly makes sense after 10 year gap in the timeline. But it must be something about getting used to someone and not liking changes in general:)

Edited by UK

On 8/29/2024 at 6:49 PM, Parsad said:

Same reason I'll be watching as well...I'm also a huge Costner fan when he's in Westerns...Silverado, Dances With Wolves, Open Range, Yellowstone, Wyatt Earp, now Horizon! 

But for those that don't love Westerns as much, I thought I would just let them know not to waste their time.  🙂  Cheers!

Speaking of Westerns...this one coming out today with Peter Dinklage and Juliette Lewis looks pretty darn good!  Cheers!

9 hours ago, Xerxes said:

Rings of Power is truly fun to watch. 

Lord of the Rings without Peter Jackson’ at times cartoonish movie making, with “race scenes” for the sake of having race scenes.  

I actually enjoyed it. Yes it’s a bit cartoonish and lacks depth sometimes. The scary Forst somehow isn’t really scary or magical. I do like how the storyline evolves and ties the characters together.

I think the real storyline is good but the filmmaker are sometimes in over their heads.

1 hour ago, Spekulatius said:

I actually enjoyed it. Yes it’s a bit cartoonish and lacks depth sometimes. The scary Forst somehow isn’t really scary or magical. I do like how the storyline evolves and ties the characters together.

I think the real storyline is good but the filmmaker are sometimes in over their heads.

I meant I found Peter Jackson later movies very cartoonish. There are racing for no reasons in the Hobbit trilogy. 

I really like Prime’ take on Rings of Power. It has the magic of the original LOTR,  Fellowship of the Rings and Two Towers. 

That is what LOTR is about. Not the cartoon Peter Jackson created in the battle of five armies in the last of Hobbit movies. I think he lost it there. 

Rebel Ridge was surprisingly gripping on Netflix. Made me look into Saulnier's other movies which apparently are well regarded (green room, blue ruin). I'll check them out as well.

2 hours ago, LC said:

Rebel Ridge was surprisingly gripping on Netflix. Made me look into Saulnier's other movies which apparently are well regarded (green room, blue ruin). I'll check them out as well.

It was quite well done.  Enjoyed it!  Cheers!

14 hours ago, Xerxes said:

I meant I found Peter Jackson later movies very cartoonish. There are racing for no reasons in the Hobbit trilogy. 

I really like Prime’ take on Rings of Power. It has the magic of the original LOTR,  Fellowship of the Rings and Two Towers. 

That is what LOTR is about. Not the cartoon Peter Jackson created in the battle of five armies in the last of Hobbit movies. I think he lost it there. 

I agree, the Rings of Power series really brought Middle Earth into life. I almost feel sorry for the Orcs and I think the Elves are portrait well too - far more human unlike the more fairytalebeings in Jackson’s movies. The reviews are middling for the series, but I feel the Season 2 is quite well done, despite some film making mishaps, mostly because the storyline is quite compelling.

On 9/7/2024 at 10:21 AM, Spekulatius said:

I agree, the Rings of Power series really brought Middle Earth into life. I almost feel sorry for the Orcs and I think the Elves are portrait well too - far more human unlike the more fairytalebeings in Jackson’s movies. The reviews are middling for the series, but I feel the Season 2 is quite well done, despite some film making mishaps, mostly because the storyline is quite compelling.

this is from last year. 

https://www.theonering.net/torwp/2023/02/27/116190-everything-we-know-about-new-lord-of-the-rings-and-rights/

Tolkien rights, and who (WB or Prime) can do what, and what are they swim lane can itself be a worthy book.  

looks like much like the Spiderman franchise that SONY has to come up with something every 5 years or lose the perpetual right, PJ also needs to trigger something on the LOTR from within the 25 year period. 

I am glad the Tolkien Estate has ruled: no reboots.