Ever think of moving to Canada?

Smazz

Guest Broxburnboy

Broxburn, I think most boardmembers are ready to hurl a frozen deep-dish pizza at your head!   ;D  Enjoy the weather.  Cheers!

Damn.. while ducking your frozen missile, I spilled my Pacifico on my surfboard.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Crip,

I agree with you.  Everyone is always saying Toronto is a New York wannabe, but I really think it's alot more like Chicago with the lake and slightly smaller downtown area.  I've got to say though that downtown Chicago is beautiful...it's a hell of alot nicer than downtown Toronto and I actually prefer it to Manhattan.  The whole Millenium Park area and the views of the Chicago skyline from there are absolutely stunning!  Plus you have Steak'n Shakes!  I think the only thing Chicago loses out on is their deep-dish pizza.  I much prefer New York style pizza over Chicago deep-dish.   ;D  Cheers!

I agree with you on Downtown Chicago...trying to distance myself from hometown pride, it is truly a great place to visit or live.

Regarding pizza..., dude, you’re a great guy but your comments are pure heresy! The mere thought of a two-inch thick combination of firm yet tender crust, Italian cheeses (mozzarella, provolone and romano are my preferences), olive oil, ripe tomatoes, Italian spices and artery-clogging globs of sausage is enough to bring me to my knees in anticipation of a culinary experience far to wonderful for mortal man. It’s pure gastronomical nirvana. This is accentuated by the fact that being down here in Dallas, I cannot get anything close to it. Though they are great folks, Texans can't make pizzas to save their lives.

ValueCFA - A-men, brother.

-Crip

Ever heard of Montreal?

lots of people are saying that Montreal is more of a party city while Toronto is a business city.

Real estate is cheap over here compare to Toronto, Vancouver ( though I suspect more and more people are finding about it and are moving to Montreal, helping pushing real estate market up).

If only winter season could be warmer...    ( it is about the same as Toronto)

Ever heard of Montreal?

lots of people are saying that Montreal is more of a party city while Toronto is a business city.

Real estate is cheap over here compare to Toronto, Vancouver ( though I suspect more and more people are finding about it and are moving to Montreal, helping pushing real estate market up).

If only winter season could be warmer...     ( it is about the same as Toronto)

you beat me to it.

I love Montreal. Also high on cities in North America is San Fran. Those two have to be the most underated in North America.

I think I have the best of both worlds. I am a Canadian citizen living in Calgary during the summer (golf season) and Bucerias, Mexico, near Puerto Vallarta in the winter ( I am here now). I am looking out over my balcony, through the palm trees and out over Banderas Bay. I assure you it beats the view out my Calgary window right now. The Pizza from the local bar, YoYo Mo's, is quite decent as well.

Being self employed (read slacking off) and living off investment gains means all I need is an internet connection and my laptop. I use Skype for my telephone service and interrupt my hectic schedule for bouts of deep sea fishing off the nearby coast of Punta de Mita.

I heartily recommend the dual location lifestyle!

Cheers

You picked Mexico over Hawaii which is where I am looking for a second home. Why?

Guest Broxburnboy

You picked Mexico over Hawaii which is where I am looking for a second home. Why?

Having spent time in both Hawaii (Maui) and Mexico, I much prefer to live in Mexico.

From a geographic point of view it has many more options.. I can drive to PV from Calgary and visit many interesting and diverse places/people on route.

There are more options for travel into Mexico's interior while I'm here. Hawaii existence is island living and personally I find it confining after a short stay.

Being semi-retired (I hate the word retired... it sounds like I'm getting ready to go to bed..Which I definitely am not, I prefer to see myself as a drop-out), the acquisition of a new language and immersion in a different culture provides a needed challenge.. I am happy to say that I can still acquire new language skills and extend my consciousness by including Mexican cultural views... I fear that without new challenges, the mind deteriorates and one's thinking becomes increasing rigid and the walls begin to close in.

The negative views promulgated in the NorteAmericano media are exaggerated.. Mexico (with some localized exceptions) is safe, the people are friendly, law abiding, family oriented and exceedingly industrious.

The average North American (myself included) is burdened with an exaggerated sense of self worth and consequently given to all sorts of self seeking and dominating behaviour. Mexicans have no such burden and they work hard for everything they get enjoying there leisure time in simple indulgences. I wish to pick up on some of that attitude.

On the practical side, homes prices here are quite reasonable, even the oceanside condo in which I live is about a third  the cost of a comparable Maui one at the height of the boom. There are very few mortgages on Mexican homes so must are purchased with cash or gradually completed over time with sweat equity. Consequently investments in homes were never levered and have not suffered the subsequent delevering.

I'm getting long-winded here, I hope you're not sorry you asked.

Cheers

Tiger would prefer to move to Canada right now.

I don't want Tiger in Canada.  Keep him there! 

I'm so disappointed...first Letterman and now Tiger.  Two guys I always loved to watch and thought they were moral stalwarts.  Why can't these guys just get a divorce or breakup with their girlfriend and then go do whatever the hell they want?  Wouldn't that be much easier for everyone involved?  Just plain stupid.

I can't look at either right now...especially Tiger...his wife is something to look at and he traded down to those wenches.  If I hear anything about Peyton Manning, then I'm finished watching television for good!  Cheers! 

And the biggest thing that pisses me off about what Tiger did, is how all those hoser Mickelson fans are going to be gloating all the way to next year's Masters!  I won't be able to watch a golf tournament, with Tiger and Mickelson, without wanting to wipe that goofy grin off of Mickelson's face.  It was so annoying before, it's going to drive me crazy now!  ;D  Cheers! 

Guest kawikaho

I'm so disappointed...first Letterman and now Tiger.  Two guys I always loved to watch and thought they were moral stalwarts.  Why can't these guys just get a divorce or breakup with their girlfriend and then go do whatever the hell they want?  Wouldn't that be much easier for everyone involved?  Just plain stupid.

I can't look at either right now...especially Tiger...his wife is something to look at and he traded down to those wenches.  If I hear anything about Peyton Manning, then I'm finished watching television for good!  Cheers! 

Hahaha!  Nice one, Sanjeev.

Wealth and fame seems to be the most effective aphrodisiac available for the female half of our species. Its easy to be moralistic however  as us mere mortals do not have any moral dilemas to deal with in those matters as we are completely ignored by the fairer sex. I can remember reading somewhere that Henry Kissinger who physically has to be one of the most unappealing male specimans that god ever breathed life into, was constantly receiving letters from female admirers who wanted him to father their children. I suspect that deep down that behind many of our efforts to attain material wealth is a secret desire to have Tigers problems.

Wealth and fame seems to be the most effective aphrodisiac available for the female half of our species. Its easy to be moralistic however  as us mere mortals do not have any moral dilemas to deal with in those matters as we are completely ignored by the fairer sex.

Speak for yourself!  They never ignore me...they just turn around and walk away once I open my mouth!  ;D

I suspect that deep down that behind many of our efforts to attain material wealth is a secret desire to have Tigers problems.

No doubt and I don't say that he can't eat his cake...just that he can't have it as well!  Whether you have Tiger's problems or our mere mortal problems, that rule never changes. 

I just think that if a man or woman wants to sample the wares outside of his/her marriage, then be up front about it, seperate, get divorced and be on your way.  It's the behind the back stuff that bothers me...no different than a CEO betraying the trust of his/her shareholders by padding their expense account and compensation package while the company goes under.  Cheers!

Anybody on this thread ever read The Bible, especially

the Bible verse that says: "Judge not that you be not judged"?

Talk's cheap, but it's most unusual for a celebrity to issue

a public statement in such circumstances filled with language

such as: " the harm I've done my wife and family.... sin

.... transgression....etc.  Transgression was supposedly

the most looked up word on on line dictionaries after his

statement was released.  This says as much about our

culture as it does about Mr. Woods.

Stay tuned.  This sad tale may play out differently than most.

The temptations that Tiger tackles tops those that typically trouble. I can't imagine cheating on my girlfriend, but I also can't imagine Miranda Kerr whispering her room number into my ear.

About Canada, can non-citizens purchase a home? I'd like to buy a house in Vancouver or Montreal and rent it out for 9 month periods.

The temptations that Tiger tackles tops those that typically trouble. I can't imagine cheating on my girlfriend, but I also can't imagine Miranda Kerr whispering her room number into my ear.

About Canada, can non-citizens purchase a home? I'd like to buy a house in Vancouver or Montreal and rent it out for 9 month periods.

Rabitt no restrictions at all on foreign ownership of real estate and if you insist on buying in Vancouver I will sell you mine

Rabitt no restrictions at all on foreign ownership of real estate and if you insist on buying in Vancouver I will sell you mine

Can I get a quote on bona fide Canadian ice, too? I went house hunting in Vancouver a couple of years ago and I couldn't believe the prices then. However, I loved the city, and I wouldn't mind paying a bit.

I thought about buying a second home a year ago; fortunately I looked harder at VRBO.COM and that talked me out of it.  Just rent a place for 3 months.

I thought about buying a second home a year ago; fortunately I looked harder at VRBO.COM and that talked me out of it.  Just rent a place for 3 months.

Eric does that refer to vacation homes in general or just vacation homes in Vancouver. Vacation rentals in Vancouver do not work all that well from what I can see from the owners perspective in some markets however it appears that they can work fairly well. In fact rentals in VCR do not work at all. I have a friend who is renting a new condo and at market rents his landlord is generating a 1/2 of 1%  cash on cash return.

Eric does that refer to vacation homes in general or just vacation homes in Vancouver. Vacation rentals in Vancouver do not work all that well from what I can see from the owners perspective in some markets however it appears that they can work fairly well. In fact rentals in VCR do not work at all. I have a friend who is renting a new condo and at market rents his landlord is generating a 1/2 of 1%  cash on cash return.

I don't know his situation but I figure if he only wants a place for a few months a year it's a good way to go.

They have worldwide listings.  Definately worth checking out for anyone who wants to go someplace for several weeks/months and doesn't want to be skewered by hotel prices.  The houses on there are unbelievably cheap to rent by the week/month vs your typical hotel rates is what I mean. 

Guest kawikaho

You didn't read the article, if you think temptations had anything to do with it.  Not using condoms?  Sleeping with average looking women (some of the new ones are ghastly)?  Chasing women around the clubs when you're married.  Doing all this when your wife is pregnant and about to give birth?  This is not a one time deal here, but a string of over a dozen women. 

Let's make no mistake here: this is not respectable behavior whoever you are.  It's pretty deplorable, and there is no excuse.  I've worked with sex addicts before doing some volunteer counseling, and Tiger Woods fits the bill.