Would you trust Donald Trump to run Berkshire Hathaway if you were an investor?

Liberty
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Win or lose Trump still has the better life than Buffett.

He comes home to a supermodel wife, lives in a better city with a better view from his penthouse, doesn't need to justify to shareholders the use of a private plane or helicopter, homes & golf courses around the world, children are high-achievers, goes down in history as an elected nominee for a major political party, etc...

Whether you like it or not he is a success story.

I've seen people say similar things like this before (about Buffett) and I don't understand it. Just because he doesn't live the life that you would with that amount of money doesn't mean he isn't happy or doesn't have a great life. He comes off as someone who does exactly what he wants to do every day. How is it possible to have a better life than that? If he wanted to bang models and live on the God damn ISS he could've done that a long time ago.

Guest 50centdollars

He comes home to a supermodel wife, lives in a better city with a better view from his penthouse, doesn't need to justify to shareholders the use of a private plane or helicopter, homes & golf courses around the world, children are high-achievers, goes down in history as an elected nominee for a major political party, etc...

supermodel wife who is only with him for his money.

Potential Trump University student.

If legacy is partly attributed to how your children have developed then Trump wins hands down.

Cardboard

What's so special about Trump's children?

Legacy: How about giving tens and tens of billions to a real charity that tackles important problems for the betterment of humanity and the reduction of human suffering, and convincing dozens of other billionaires to do the same, rather than building kitsch golden palaces with your name in giant letters on the front door and using charity money to have paintings of yourself made?

When I think Buffett, I think "smart", "integrity", and "teacher". When I think Trump, I think "bully", "salesman", and "megalomaniac".

We'll see how history remembers both...

"Better city with a better view"?

You're showing your personal bias.  :-) 

Plus Warren's been there, done that hasn't he?  Plus, Warren's long had the option to live where ever he wanted. Trump though has likely had to stay pretty close to where his lenders, claimants and courthouses have been.  :-)

This is so stupid, I feel as if you're trolling

I asked this one on Twitter, but I'm curious to see what the results would be here.

The question is simple: imagine that you put 30% of your net worth in Berkshire Hathaway and Buffett is retiring. Would you trust Donald Trump to become chairman and CEO of the company with his own handpicked board.

I voted yes. If WEB is retiring and he chooses Trump as his successor, then WEB obviously sees some value or something about Trump. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt since Trump supposedly has Buffett's endorsement in this scenario. 

I second that.

Btw, as others have said, Buffett lives exactly the life he wants to live. You could stick him in New York City in a gold plated penthouse, force him to brag about everything he owns, make him work crazy hours that he only gets 4 hours of sleep, force him to engage in twitter wars with Rosie O'Donnell, and give him a trophy wife. But I think at that point Warren will kill himself.

There is nothing that prevents him from having the life that Trump has and that RaptorsFan  fantasizes about. He just really, really doesn't want that.

P.S. As opposed to Trump Buffett actually got into Wharton but then he said fuck that and transferred to Nebraska.

If legacy is partly attributed to how your children have developed then Trump wins hands down.

Cardboard

What's so special about Trump's children?

Legacy: How about giving tens and tens of billions to a real charity that tackles important problems for the betterment of humanity and the reduction of human suffering, and convincing dozens of other billionaires to do the same, rather than building kitsch golden palaces with your name in giant letters on the front door and using charity money to have paintings of yourself made?

When I think Buffett, I think "smart", "integrity", and "teacher". When I think Trump, I think "bully", "salesman", and "megalomaniac".

We'll see how history remembers both...

If people would be ranked on a list based on the job they've done raising their children, you would have a list of some fabulous human beings that you normally don't hear anything about. Buffett or Trump won't be anywhere near the top. Buffett wouldn't comment. Trump would gripe "The list is Rigged! Ivanka's tits are great! The Best! Believe Me!"

Guys, why don't we also have a survey for whether you trust Hillary to run Berkshire. I am sure she would have the worst corporate governance in the world, given how she monetized the state department.  :D

+1.  What if people don't have 30% with Buffett either.  In fact, Buffett would not have 30% in Berkshire if he is small investor.  I think this is really getting ridiculous, set up only to show Trump get low points.

Would you trust Warren Buffet as your diving instructor?  Would you trust him to take your three year old toddler for a walk in NYC? etc.

I would not.    So? Does that make him unfit to manage BRK? 

Meaningless topic.

Not really meaningless. Making Trump the CEO of another corporation is not the same as making Warren a babysitter or diving instructor. Especially since he's such a brilliant businessman. Asking the question when you have money at stake i think focuses the mind.

Why wouldn't you trust Trump to run BRK? Because he's not a good businessman? Because he's not a good dealmaker? Because he's not a good capital allocator? Because he'd loot shareholders?

If you won't trust him to run BRK where you have your money why would you trust him to run the federal government and foreign policy?

"Better city with a better view"?

You're showing your personal bias.  :-) 

Plus Warren's been there, done that hasn't he?  Plus, Warren's long had the option to live where ever he wanted. Trump though has likely had to stay pretty close to where his lenders, claimants and courthouses have been.  :-)

No one is marvelling at the landscape of downtown Omaha. It's not an exciting city to live in.

I second that.

Btw, as others have said, Buffett lives exactly the life he wants to live. You could stick him in New York City in a gold plated penthouse, force him to brag about everything he owns, make him work crazy hours that he only gets 4 hours of sleep, force him to engage in twitter wars with Rosie O'Donnell, and give him a trophy wife. But I think at that point Warren will kill himself.

There is nothing that prevents him from having the life that Trump has and that RaptorsFan  fantasizes about. He just really, really doesn't want that.

P.S. As opposed to Trump Buffett actually got into Wharton but then he said fuck that and transferred to Nebraska.

Trump also attended West Point and that's an extremely difficult school to get into.

I wouldn't trust Trump to run Berkshire.. but I'm not sure I trust the 3 T's to run Berkshire either.  They've made some pretty sketchy buys the last few years.  And if Buffett approved those purchases, I'm not sure I trust the octogenarian Buffett to run Berkshire either.  Lol - once Buffett's stake gets sprinkled over the planet via the giving pledge, I expect the empire to go the way of the typical American conglomerate.  Such things are not meant to last.

Well this board has many threads. This is clearly a political one. I and others engage in it because we are interested in the subjects. I engage in others too. I don't engage in others because I don't care about the issue or stock that's being discussed. That choice is available to you as well.

I should say that I don't see this spilling in other parts of the board. There aren't people debating Trump vs. Clinton on on the WFC, or AMZN, or SBUX thread. But this is a community, and the members are people, and we have political views, and we'll work through them. To pretend those don't exist would be juvenile.

The fact that not many people are swayed one way or the other says a lot about the place where the US finds itself today. But some people are. And that makes it worthwhile.