Buffett/Berkshire - general news

On 1/30/2024 at 5:02 PM, gfp said:

I have long avoided learning anything about energy trading, so I ask from ignorance, but can someone explain what the point of the energy trading operations were/are for Pilot?  Do all these changes signal that BRK is shutting down, or at least scaling back, the petroleum trading desk?

9 hours ago, xo 1 said:

I have long avoided learning anything about energy trading, so I ask from ignorance, but can someone explain what the point of the energy trading operations were/are for Pilot?  

Goosing the Haslam's EBIT number

10 hours ago, xo 1 said:

I have long avoided learning anything about energy trading, so I ask from ignorance, but can someone explain what the point of the energy trading operations were/are for Pilot?  Do all these changes signal that BRK is shutting down, or at least scaling back, the petroleum trading desk?

I assume so. Buffet has long said if he thought he could make money trading oil futures he wouldn’t need to operate a railroad that requires billions of capex. I assume that carries over to pilot as well. 

1 hour ago, ValueMaven said:

Thanks for posting the article.  Strange that they would say this out loud (I'm sure not uncommon but probably illegal) - "Forest River and Starcraft agreed to stop making school buses in 2020, when it acquired REV Group’s competing shuttle bus business."

@gfp how do you think Peter Liegl of Forest river gets the cash for that purchase. Obviously forest river makes a lot of money, but I doubt they keep 300M around for a potential purchase. It seems like Greg has implement more of a sweep account system. Do you think Peter calls Warren and ask for the money or does he call Greg? 

12 hours ago, yesman182 said:

@gfp how do you think Peter Liegl of Forest river gets the cash for that purchase. Obviously forest river makes a lot of money, but I doubt they keep 300M around for a potential purchase. It seems like Greg has implement more of a sweep account system. Do you think Peter calls Warren and ask for the money or does he call Greg? 

These days he would call Greg not Warren.  In the zirp years they might have just used a bank line but I think Omaha has been clear that they would prefer the subs come to BRK for cash instead of using high rate bank financing.  Greg is the guy all of these CEOs are dealing with (except Ajit).  I think he's doing a good job but not everyone is sold on the Greg Abel show.

I'm looking forward to tomorrow's 13-F filings....in particular if there are amendments to the 9/30 filing to remove the requested permission to not disclose a position, or if that permission is still granted. Is there any scuttlebutt as to which name it could be?

5 hours ago, jbwent63 said:

I'm looking forward to tomorrow's 13-F filings....in particular if there are amendments to the 9/30 filing to remove the requested permission to not disclose a position, or if that permission is still granted. Is there any scuttlebutt as to which name it could be?

There is no scuttlebutt on what it could be except that it almost certainly falls into the category "Banks, insurance and finance" on Berkshire's filings.  We couldn't figure out what it was by looking at the NAIC filings because it was hidden within the Harney Investment Trust.