Buffett/Berkshire - general news

2 hours ago, Munger_Disciple said:

Berkshire had a similar melt up during 2007 before the proverbial GFC s**t hit the fan. Rightly or wrongly, Berkshire is seen as a safe haven during potential troubles. Perhaps markets are telling us that we are reaching the top of the MAG 7 froth? If there is a major market correction, I can't imagine Berkshire not being part of it though. 

As WMT IIRC:)?

https://www.barrons.com/articles/warren-buffett-berkshire-hathaway-stock-price-market-cap-832393c6

18 hours ago, Whensthepaintdry? said:

Do you think it has gotten way too ahead of the valuation or just see better opportunities elsewhere? 

I think the recent stock price movement has gotten misaligned with the underlying business.  I've traded BRK many times in the past and I think I'll be able to buy it back lower than $460 in the next six months.

BRK will always be a holding in my portfolio.  It was 70% of my portfolio prior to this sale due to overall market valuation and no better opportunities.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/warren-buffetts-berkshire-hathaway-tops-135118684.html

Warren Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway tops $1 trillion market value

The market value of Berkshire Hathaway surpassed $1 trillion on Wednesday, reflecting investor confidence in the conglomerate that Warren Buffett built over nearly six decades into what many consider a proxy for the American economy.

Berkshire joined six other companies, mainly from the technology sector, above $1 trillion: Apple, Nvidia, Microsoft, Google parent Alphabet, Amazon.com and Facebook parent Meta Platforms.

6 hours ago, Hektor said:

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/warren-buffetts-berkshire-hathaway-tops-135118684.html

The market value of Berkshire Hathaway surpassed $1 trillion on Wednesday, reflecting investor confidence in the conglomerate that Warren Buffett built over nearly six decades into what many consider a proxy for the American economy.

Berkshire joined six other companies, mainly from the technology sector, above $1 trillion: Apple, Nvidia, Microsoft, Google parent Alphabet, Amazon.com and Facebook parent Meta Platforms.

Yeah, and I recall quite a few - likely quite young  - CoBF members some years back here on CoBF - bashing both Buffett and Berkshire for being a louzy investor and a louzy investment, respectively.

The really funny point about it is that none of chose posters do not post about it any more here on CoBF. [Look at all that cash, the man is old, and he has for sure lost it, it's 'old economy', now see what he has been buying of listed companies, the price paid in this acquisition is crazy, etc., etc.], in fact they don't post any more - at all, that is. 🤔🙄💡

And despite all that, it has, on average and long term, worked out really well.

Edited by John Hjorth
spelling and language

37 minutes ago, Hektor said:

It probably means nothing to him, but I am glad we are both alive to see it. 👍

24 minutes ago, John Hjorth said:

Yeah, and I recall quite a few - likely quite young  - CoBF members some years back here on CoBF - bashing both Buffett and Berkshire for being a louzy investor and a louzy investment, respectively.

The really funny point about it is that none of chose posters do not post about it any more here on CoBF. [Look at all that cash, the man is old, and he has for sure lost it, it's 'old economy', now see what he has been buying of listed companies, the price paid in this acquisition is crazy, etc., etc.], in fact they don't post any more - at all, that is. 🤔🙄💡

And despite all that, it has on average and long term, worked out really well.

Probably best not be a knob about it and just enjoy the fact that he got to see it. Just saying.

23 minutes ago, cubsfan said:

^^ John - history repeats itself

Mike [ @cubsfan ],

If you're alluding to what will happen to and about the market value of this basket of 'magnificent [now] eight', it will for sure be exciting to follow going forward, I have no idea about what will happen.

Edited by John Hjorth
language and spelling

9 minutes ago, nwoodman said:

It probably means nothing to him, but I am glad we are both alive to see it. 👍

Curious, hypothetically speaking, if a foreign entity (Saudi Aramco?) were to acquire a 5% interest in Berkshire, would it be subject to the reporting requirements of 13D?

1 minute ago, 73 Reds said:

Curious, hypothetically speaking, if a foreign entity (Saudi Aramco?) were to acquire a 5% interest in Berkshire, would it be subject to the reporting requirements of 13D?

Way beyond my pay grade but this run, while reminiscent of 2007, lacks some of the more obvious macro markers.  I do appreciate your thoughtfulness.

Honestly as someone with the majority of my NW in BRK it does nothing for me really, if anything its kind of a bummer as selfishly I would be much happier if BRK was to get trounced while the cash pool in Omaha is so deep and Buffett let the buyback cannon fire for effect! I do expect an eventual retrace but it's fun to watch. 

A headline that said, "Buffett record buybacks last quarter" would make me much happier than BRK $1T. 

Edited by Blugolds

13 minutes ago, Blugolds said:

Honestly as someone with the majority of my NW in BRK it does nothing for me really, if anything its kind of a bummer as selfishly I would be much happier if BRK was to get trounced while the cash pool in Omaha is so deep and Buffett let the buyback cannon fire for effect! I do expect an eventual retrace but it's fun to watch. 

A headline that said, "Buffett record buybacks last quarter" would make me much happier than BRK $1T. 

Don’t disagree, but he likes round numbers and it is a decent milestone. Deserved of a second cherry coke and then back to business 😉

16 minutes ago, Blugolds said:

agree, its bittersweet 

25 minutes ago, Blugolds said:

🙂

I guess the $1T creates one more hurdle for any wanna be activist investor. Acquiring 5% needs $50B now.

1 hour ago, nwoodman said:

Way beyond my pay grade but this run, while reminiscent of 2007, lacks some of the more obvious macro markers.  I do appreciate your thoughtfulness.

Well, I don't pay attention to the volume traded but someone(s) is driving up the price.  Certainly no activist investor as long as Buffett is alive and well.

1 hour ago, Hektor said:

To take a 5% position and agitate for change, I guess.

My concern is that as the share buybacks continue, the A shares are being diminished.  I'd expect the price spread between A and B shares to continue to grow.  

One A share is equivalent to 1,500 B shares, but the B shares have 1/10,000 the voting power of the A. As less and less A shares are available, that spread will continue to grow and power will more easily be available to get.

So WEB and Greg will have to continue to buy A shares to minimize them so that the B share equivalent can somewhat match them voting weight wise.

Edited by CassiusKing1

2 minutes ago, CassiusKing1 said:

One A share is equivalent to 1,500 B shares, but the B shares have 1/10,000 the voting power of the A.

It has always irked me that the proportion of value & voting is not consistent for B shares.

3 hours ago, John Hjorth said:

Mike [ @cubsfan ],

If you're alluding to what will happen to and about the market value of this basket of 'magnificent [now] eight', it will for sure be exciting to follow going forward, I have no idea about what will happen.

No I was commending your comment about investors throwing the old man Buffett into the trash bin of failed investors, that did not get it!  So true - Warren has never lost it.

5 hours ago, John Hjorth said:

And despite all that, it has on average and long term, worked out really well.

I love when everyone thinks Warren is washed up - those have been great times to buy!