New car Old car Leasing or Cash what do you do?

ASTA

For all the other Carolinians (seems like there are alot of us to be on a Canadian hosted site, doesn't it?), this guy often times has some nice used cars for good prices.  I've bought one car from him and a couple colleagues turned me on to him.

http://eurocarsllc.com/

Although, I think I'm going to buy a ford the next time, if Mullaly and co keep them turning out boeings.

In 2008 I bought a 1996 Mercedes S-500 for $8,900. It had 90,000 mile and was driven

by a car nut - so it was beautiful. Purchased new, it's a $90,000 car, but of course I was

buying a 12 year old car - it just looked new. But a car like this has 200,000 mile life

if it is taken care of. I'm still driving it and absolutely love it.

I'm partial to big luxury cars, just don't like to pay up for them. And in 2008 everyone was

throwing away there gas guzzling SUV's with oil well above $120. This car sat unsold for 5 months.

I've never bought a new car.

Buffett flies around on an $80 million aircraft so I don't think we should perpetuate this myth of value investors being down heel. Try to keep in perspective that your time on earth is short. We have been blessed with an amazing assortment of transportation options. Choose the one you like and enjoy it but enjoyment derived from ego is fleeting.

i've always believed in buying a brand new car - don't need to worry about what the previous owner did with the car & warranties off the bat.  to me, it feels great to drive around in a new one.  that said, i can understand how it might feel better to get a great deal on a used one though.

I know this last option is unpopular with the wealthy or those with money, but I'd say look into public transit or riding your bike if possible.  I started to ride my bike to work last year, it's a healthy decision and it's cheap.  Public transit is another great option, although most with money could never humble themselves enough to get on a train or bus.

For my last 3 years of working, I commuted in a vanpool (about 7 riders).  That was the best option I could find.

Biking was too dangerous, and very unpleasant in Seattle weather.  Public transit... ditto (no seat-belts in buses, standing in the aisles while (crowded) bus is moving, getting soaked in the rain when walking between bus stops).

Buffett flies around on an $80 million aircraft so I don't think we should perpetuate this myth of value investors being down heel. Try to keep in perspective that your time on earth is short. We have been blessed with an amazing assortment of transportation options. Choose the one you like and enjoy it but enjoyment derived from ego is fleeting.

I agree.  Some people love cars and enjoy them, so it may be worth paying more for a car if you are one of these people.  I've always hated cars and thought of them as an insanely expensive necessity.  I could never enjoy owning an expensive car.  I have some requirements, it needs to have heat, A/C, a working radio, and be able to do at least 85mph on the highway.  My family car needs to do those things, plus tow a camper and have ample cargo space.  Other than that, I am not willing to pay for any extras or luxuries.  To me, I just want to get where I'm going, without needing to squash in near a bunch of gross people on a train/bus or need to pedal 15 miles to work in the snow.

I agree.  Some people love cars and enjoy them, so it may be worth paying more for a car if you are one of these people.  I've always hated cars and thought of them as an insanely expensive necessity.  I could never enjoy owning an expensive car.  I have some requirements, it needs to have heat, A/C, a working radio, and be able to do at least 85mph on the highway.  My family car needs to do those things, plus tow a camper and have ample cargo space.  Other than that, I am not willing to pay for any extras or luxuries.  To me, I just want to get where I'm going, without needing to squash in near a bunch of gross people on a train/bus or need to pedal 15 miles to work in the snow.

I love cars, ever since I was toddler, and I always dreamed of driving Ferraris, Porsches, Aston Martins, etc.  Funny thing happened when I became a value investor.  I felt very uncomfortable owning such luxury cars.  In many parts of the world, including Canada and the United States, driving such cars could get you shot in some neighbourhoods. 

And then I realized, I don't want my image to be about the car or house I own...I want it to be about the companies I own...especially if I own the whole company.  Thus I never felt comfortable buying an expensive car after becoming the investor that I am, when I would rather throw that money into a business.  Cheers!