Things Not to Do for 2014

Kraven

Thanks for posting Kraven, even if I disagree.

Frankly, I couldn't really give a sh*t about slang here or there. Some jockeying for perceived position  or a bunch of other things mostly.

I'm not advocating chaos of course, but generally speaking the form concerns me far less than the content.

If folks are feeling like they're out of touch, then I think they should be trying to connect and do something about it.

Back to content, and quality of it. If I was going to note a pet peeve, mine would (still) be the tech threads.

Basically, I think you've got a bunch of really smart older(ish) members on there who don't recognize their own limitations.

Yet, because they clearly know more than others about most things they turn the place into a personal territory instead of a genuinely open forum.

To my mind, it's f*cking bullsh*t. These same folks are only now realizing that Amazon and Google are far more than what most people consider them to be, yet we all have to kiss ass because we're the newbie's even though we spotted this stuff fairly long ago.

All I'm saying fundamentally, is that this stuff often cuts both ways.

For the most part, I agree with what's been said on here but WTF - what about quality, and openness and so on.

I think some people's priorities are f*cked up because not only don't they encourage newer members to think and speak openly by crafting well-timed and positioned statements and questions, but they actually stifle real intellectual curiosity with their petty f*cking point-scoring and territorial pissings.

And there are many old dogs who do this, and refuse to learn new tricks. Even if it'll be to both their benefit and ours.

So basically, f*ck all that form over substance bullsh*t. Regardless of age or status.

Rant over...

PS. And thanks to all the old-schoolers on here (even those I have problems with), you make this place what it is. However, please let's not f*cking kid ourselves here and pretend that either of us is better than the other.

Happy holidays. 

Sincerely.

PPS. Besides that aspect, I agree with a lot of what Kraven is pointing out though. I must be getting old.

Also, I'm nowhere near one of the better contributors on here. I'm very much aware of this. However, I also know I'm not completely full of shit.

I think that's worth something, even if it's not a lot. And if all it gets is constant unconstructive criticism and the like, then the pitiful a$$holes that are handing it out are just as much in need of a hard look in the mirror as me (or others).

My nothing's worth.

Thanks for posting Kraven, even if I disagree.

Frankly, I couldn't really give a sh*t about slang here or there. Some jockeying for perceived position  or a bunch of other things mostly.

I'm not advocating chaos of course, but generally speaking the form concerns me far less than the content.

If folks are feeling like they're out of touch, then I think they should be trying to connect and do something about it.

Back to content, and quality of it. If I was going to note a pet peeve, mine would (still) be the tech threads.

Basically, I think you've got a bunch of really smart older(ish) members on there who don't recognize their own limitations.

Yet, because they clearly know more than others about most things they turn the place into a personal territory instead of a genuinely open forum.

To my mind, it's f*cking bullsh*t. These same folks are only now realizing that Amazon and Google are far more than what most people consider them to be, yet we all have to kiss ass because we're the newbie's even though we spotted this stuff fairly long ago.

All I'm saying fundamentally, is that this stuff often cuts both ways.

For the most part, I agree with what's been said on here but WTF - what about quality, and openness and so on.

I think some people's priorities are f*cked up because not only don't they encourage newer members to think and speak openly by crafting well-timed and positioned statements and questions, but they actually stifle real intellectual curiosity with their petty f*cking point-scoring and territorial pissings.

And there are many old dogs who do this, and refuse to learn new tricks. Even if it'll be to both their benefit and ours.

So basically, f*ck all that form over substance bullsh*t. Regardless of age or status.

Rant over...

PS. And thanks to all the old-schoolers on here (even those I have problems with), you make this place what it is. However, please let's not f*cking kid ourselves here and pretend that either of us is better than the other.

Happy holidays. 

Sincerely.

PPS. Besides that aspect, I agree with a lot of what Kraven is pointing out though. I must be getting old.

Also, I'm nowhere near one of the better contributors on here. I'm very much aware of this. However, I also know I'm not completely full of shit.

I think that's worth something, even if it's not a lot. And if all it gets is constant unconstructive criticism and the like, then the pitiful a$$holes that are handing it out are just as much in need of a hard look in the mirror as me (or others).

My nothing's worth.

A couple of thoughts.  First, in terms of the forum being a place where new and/or younger members can speak openly and be encouraged to do so, I would think that it is.  I don't believe that anyone is discouraged from doing so.  Think of it this way.  The forum is in some sense a virtual gathering place. 

Imagine you have some people sitting around a room talking.  Some conversations might be serious, some might be just bullshitting, but there is a rhythm to it all.  The door opens and 2 people enter.  The first walks up the group, introduces himself, sits down and says "this conversation is interesting.  I had a thought on this, what do you guys think of this?"  The second person walks into the room and immediately starts making a nuisance of himself.  He doesn't know anyone there, but immediately interrupts the conversation by saying "no, no, no, what the fuck are you guys talking about?  I have never heard such a stupid thing.  Here is what you mean to say."  Which approach would be received in a better way?

Second, in terms of people staking out territories or thinking their better than people, especially as it might relate to older posters, that is life.  It's up to each person to establish himself and make his way in the world.  To some extent with some grey hair comes some internal strengths and abilities to hold firm in certain situations.  No one is better than anyone else.  Once you think that you're dead in the water.  Respect gets earned and I think members are willing to respect those who are deserving of it. 

In all of this, please don't take this to mean that I am saying you are doing these things.  I'm responding generally not specific to your or anyone else.

Anyway, I think I got off track there somewhat with the ranting.

Things not to do for 2014, for me is let's open up the tech threads to more wide-ranging and open-minded thinking.

Google is not just Android. If someone wants to open up a discussion on Youtube and its value, don't wave them away like you're some kind of spoilt little narcissistic know-it-all.

If Amazon doesn't declare profits, because it's tax efficient (like Malone did before them) then maybe we can all be mature and smart enough to get over it after a while and think about the business on metrics that matter rather than ones that don't.

I think the point is that in tech especially, a lot of independent thinking is probably required together with a really flexible mind.

Doesn't mean that there won't be a whole lot of crap that you need to ignore along the way, but the analysis right now across most of the tech threads is to my mind narrowly focused on advertising revenue and mobile because that's what some people seem to specialize in and any conversation outside of that usually gets shut down because some folks might have their ignorance exposed.

Unlike me, who is ignorant about so much stuff that I don't have to worry about having it become apparent in any one particular sphere.

That's what I'd like to see not happen in 2014.

Awesome thread, by the way. Thanks.

A couple of thoughts.  First, in terms of the forum being a place where new and/or younger members can speak openly and be encouraged to do so, I would think that it is.  I don't believe that anyone is discouraged from doing so.  Think of it this way.  The forum is in some sense a virtual gathering place. 

Imagine you have some people sitting around a room talking.  Some conversations might be serious, some might be just bullshitting, but there is a rhythm to it all.  The door opens and 2 people enter.  The first walks up the group, introduces himself, sits down and says "this conversation is interesting.  I had a thought on this, what do you guys think of this?"  The second person walks into the room and immediately starts making a nuisance of himself.  He doesn't know anyone there, but immediately interrupts the conversation by saying "no, no, no, what the fuck are you guys talking about?  I have never heard such a stupid thing.  Here is what you mean to say."  Which approach would be received in a better way?

Second, in terms of people staking out territories or thinking their better than people, especially as it might relate to older posters, that is life.  It's up to each person to establish himself and make his way in the world.  To some extent with some grey hair comes some internal strengths and abilities to hold firm in certain situations.  No one is better than anyone else.  Once you think that you're dead in the water.  Respect gets earned and I think members are willing to respect those who are deserving of it. 

In all of this, please don't take this to mean that I am saying you are doing these things.  I'm responding generally not specific to your or anyone else.

I don't, maybe I just felt like arguing the other side. I'm not sure.

I actually agree with most of what you said, but I also think the world is in constant flux and this message board is probably better off not being spared.

That includes the destructive part of creative destruction, to my mind.

You have every right to be annoyed by the stuff you noted, I am too sometimes.

Sometimes, I just think it's important to argue the opposing view though. No matter how little I have invested in it myself.

This board would be nothing without all of you who've been here for a while and made it so. You've created this place. We should all respect that, and sometimes I (and others) don't.

I just think it's probably all for the best though, this conversation and thread included.

Thanks for all that, to you and pretty much all the others on here. I think I just had to argue the other side.

I like to think it wasn't merely for the sake of it (#5, I believe), but who knows really. Not me.

Kind Regards.

PS. At this stage, I think I'm just proving your point(s) more than anything. Three cheers for putting theory into practice, I guess.

Whatever.