Elon Musk Interview on Bloomberg

txlaw

• 5 months later...

This particular documentary is really good. One of my favorites!

I have to slightly disagree with Buffett's assessment on who the "ablest CEO in America" is.  Bezos is great, but this guy may be one step better!  Bezos revolutionized retail...Musk may make the world a better place for your grandchildren.  Cheers!

I have to slightly disagree with Buffett's assessment on who the "ablest CEO in America" is.  Bezos is great, but this guy may be one step better!  Bezos revolutionized retail...Musk may make the world a better place for your grandchildren.  Cheers!

This is something I'd agree with 100%.  I think because of Musk your great-grandkids may vacation on Mars or even chose to live there. My prediction is that when all is said and done Bezos may be remembered as someone who built an industry, but Musk has the potential to be someone who changes our society at a more fundamental level (transportation, energy, spacefaring, ...)

This is something I'd agree with 100%.  I think because of Musk your great-grandkids may vacation on Mars or even chose to live there. My prediction is that when all is said and done Bezos may be remembered as someone who built an industry, but Musk has the potential to be someone who changes our society at a more fundamental level (transportation, energy, spacefaring, ...)

Maybe Prem should give Musk a call on Blackberry.  If anyone knows how to save it or turn it around, that guy might!  Cheers!

This is an amazing video from the Grasshopper test yesterday.

"On August 13th, the Falcon 9 test rig (code name Grasshopper) completed a divert test, flying to a 250m altitude with a 100m lateral maneuver before returning to the center of the pad. The test demonstrated the vehicle's ability to perform more aggressive steering maneuvers than have been attempted in previous flights.

Grasshopper is taller than a ten story building, which makes the control problem particularly challenging. Diverts like this are an important part of the trajectory in order to land the rocket precisely back at the launch site after reentering from space at hypersonic velocity."

This is an amazing video from the Grasshopper test yesterday.

"On August 13th, the Falcon 9 test rig (code name Grasshopper) completed a divert test, flying to a 250m altitude with a 100m lateral maneuver before returning to the center of the pad. The test demonstrated the vehicle's ability to perform more aggressive steering maneuvers than have been attempted in previous flights.

Grasshopper is taller than a ten story building, which makes the control problem particularly challenging. Diverts like this are an important part of the trajectory in order to land the rocket precisely back at the launch site after reentering from space at hypersonic velocity."

The grasshopper tests are SUPER impressive. The rate of progress is really quite good. Looks like every month the capabilities improve dramatically.

Update:

I like this comment that someone else posted on another forum:

September 21, 2012: Grasshopper hops 2m (http://www.spacex.com/news/2013/02/08/grasshopper-takes-its-...)

June 14, 2013: Grasshopper flies 325m straight up and down (http://www.spacex.com/news/2013/06/14/grasshopper-completes-...), which was hellishly impressive

Two months later, this test seems enormously more difficult than the flights without the sideways maneuver. And it's not even a year since it left the ground for the first time.

Elon Musk, "Boil things down to first principles. Use reason from there; as opposed to reasoning by analogy."

Paraphrasing:

"I looked at the cost of the raw material to build the rocket. It was certainly less than 5% of the finished product; maybe less than 2%. So I was able to see there’s a great deal of room for improvement, even if the rocket is expendable.

If on the other hand I had analyzed it by analogy; I’d have said, “Well what are all the other rocket company’s rockets cost? What historically have rockets cost?"

And that would be an analogy but it doesn’t illustrate what the true potential is. So a first principles approach is a good way to understand what new things are possible."

A nice insight, and probably not hard to see the application to the investment process.

Elon Musk, "Boil things down to first principles. Use reason from there; as opposed to reasoning by analogy."

Paraphrasing:

"I looked at the cost of the raw material to build the rocket. It was certainly less than 5% of the finished product; maybe less than 2%. So I was able to see there’s a great deal of room for improvement, even if the rocket is expendable.

If on the other hand I had analyzed it by analogy; I’d have said, “Well what are all the other rocket company’s rockets cost? What historically have rockets cost?"

And that would be an analogy but it doesn’t illustrate what the true potential is. So a first principles approach is a good way to understand what new things are possible."

A nice insight, and probably not hard to see the application to the investment process.

Indeed. He talked about that  approach many times - he has a physics background, that's where got it - including about electric car batteries. He looked at the price of the various materials that are used to make batteries on the london metals exchange and figured that was the floor price towards which to work.