Best Movie of The Year!

Parsad

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has any one seen Jack Reacher?

Yes, I liked it other than the super-hero type analogies and dialogue associated with him..."He's the type of man you don't find...he finds you!"..."He's the type of man who will always do the right thing, no matter what the situation."  It's actually more of a thriller/detective mystery than just an action movie, but the action is pretty good too. 

He may be crazy, but there is probably no better action star than Tom Cruise when it comes to that stuff as well.  He's fantastic in the fight scenes, and they are pretty brutal...no Jason Statham taking on 20 guys with no bruises...the fight sequences are much more real in this.  One of the better car chase sequences in recent memory as well..."Drive" comes to mind as the only other one in the last few years...but Cruise does all of his own stunt driving and it's pretty damn good!  Cheers!

There was an awesome car chase scene in The Town as well, underrated movie IMO.

Speaking of "The Town", I thought Argo was one of the best movies of the year as well.  Who would have ever thought that Affleck was a hundred times the director he is actor?  Three movies directed and all three were fantastic..."Gone Baby Gone", "The Town" and "Argo".  May be the best start for a director in a while.  And he's a far better actor when he's directing himself...amazing.  Cheers! 

I thought 'Looper' was the best film I've seen so far. Batman was pretty good but kind of drawn out. I haven't seen Argo, or Les Miserables yet. Also if you are looking for something to watch with your significant other I thought 'Safety Not Guaranteed' was a really good light hearted film. 

I thought 'Looper' was the best film I've seen so far. Batman was pretty good but kind of drawn out. I haven't seen Argo, or Les Miserables yet. Also if you are looking for something to watch with your significant other I thought 'Safety Not Guaranteed' was a really good light hearted film.

Also agree...Looper was terrific.  Cheers!

+1 for Safety Not Guaranteed. Also check out Ruby Sparks, another indie film with a unique plot.

I'm surprised nobody mentioned Intouchables yet. I really enjoyed it, and so did others because it's now #64 in the IMDB all-time top 250. Probably nobody mentioned it because it's French, but even then a few Canadians should appreciate it :)

Intouchables was a very "feel" good movie, even if I had to read the subtitles! ;-)

+1 for Safety Not Guaranteed. Also check out Ruby Sparks, another indie film with a unique plot.

I'll check out Ruby Sparks, thanks. I'm always looking for date night type movies. I've heard many complaints that the movies I pick up are too violent for a nice night on the sofa.

• 4 weeks later...

Zero-Dark-Thirty

Is it sick to admit that the best part was watching Bin Laden shot?  I saw it last night.

Yeah, that's sick. 

The original plan was to capture him and bring him to New York City for trial like Bush's Guantanamo Bay prisoners, read him his rights, provide him with the best attorneys and waive the death penalty out of compassion for his extended family with many wives and children.  Then, if convicted, probation and rehabilitation like the prisoners who were rehabilitated to Saudi Arabia.

That unexciting plan was ditched after Hollywood took over.

Zero-Dark-Thirty

Is it sick to admit that the best part was watching Bin Laden shot?  I saw it last night.

Yeah, that's sick. 

The original plan was to capture him and bring him to New York City for trial like Bush's Guantanamo Bay prisoners, read him his rights, provide him with the best attorneys and waive the death penalty out of compassion for his extended family with many wives and children.  Then, if convicted, probation and rehabilitation like the prisoners who were rehabilitated to Saudi Arabia.

That unexciting plan was ditched after Hollywood took over.

LOL!  Cheers!

Well, I am glad that they shot him. The plan you are talking about would have costed millions to the American people, lasted for years and made him a star. Then waiving the death penalty? It is not like we are dealing with Hirohito here.

The way they did it and to spread his ashes in the Indian Ocean was the best way to make him "vanish" from the mind of millions.

Cardboard

The vivid recreation of his death in theaters is a bit like a public hanging isn't it?  I can see why they were popular.

The used to hang alot of people...still do in some parts of the world.  And once in a while, some of those people were probably innocent.  I would not want to just see any hanging or execution, nor a generalized administration of capital punishment.  But for someone like Bin Laden, Hitler, admitted serial killers...sure I would have no qualms about seeing them receive some form of the death penalty.  And I'm a staunch liberal!  Cheers!

The vivid recreation of his death in theaters is a bit like a public hanging isn't it?  I can see why they were popular.

Yeah, real uplifting, especially when the poor man dangling and jerking from the end of the rope had a darker skin than the skin of the executioners.

And then there was the lovely practice of the Conquistadores of "putting prisoners to the stake".  I'll spare the details of what that would  look like in Central Park on a festive occasion.

RE: Bin Laden, I was surprised to find out he was never indicted or charged in connection with 9/11. Formally, he was still wanted mostly for the bombings of embassies in Africa in 1998. I'm no conspiracy theorist, and this was probably due to procedural or bureaucratic reasons, just an interesting piece of trivia. http://www.fbi.gov/wanted/topten/usama-bin-laden

• 4 weeks later...

Yesterday I watched the movie “Skyfall” for the first time. And I enjoyed it very much!

One memorable scene comes when Emme quotes a few lines from the poem “Ulysses” by Alfred Tennyson. They are really worth repeating:

Tho’ much is taken, much abides; and tho’

We are not now that strength which in old days

Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;

One equal temper of heroic hearts,

Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will

To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

giofranchi

“As time goes on I get more and more convinced that the right method in investment is to put fairly large sums into enterprises which one thinks one knows something about and in the management of which one thoroughly believes. It is a mistake to think that one limits one’s risk by spreading too much between enterprises about which one knows little and has no reason for special confidence.” - John Maynard Keynes

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got the chance to watch Les and even managed to stay all the way through.  Someone should remake it where the actors actually sing. A bonus would be if they add some rhyming.

Also got to see Argo. It's fantastic! Great acting and directing, haven't enjoyed a movie so much in a long time.

P.S. the only "musical" I ever enjoyed was that Buffy episode Once More With a feeling

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Once_More,_with_Feeling_(Buffy_the_Vampire_Slayer)

Also got to see Argo. It's fantastic! Great acting and directing, haven't enjoyed a movie so much in a long time.

+1

giofranchi

“As time goes on I get more and more convinced that the right method in investment is to put fairly large sums into enterprises which one thinks one knows something about and in the management of which one thoroughly believes. It is a mistake to think that one limits one’s risk by spreading too much between enterprises about which one knows little and has no reason for special confidence.” - John Maynard Keynes