Thinking, Fast and Slow - Daniel Kahneman

Liberty

• 5 years later...

I listened to this book as an audiobook during my long weekend commutes. I think it is a fantastic read (or listen) abdndurectoy applicable to investing as well, even though it is mostly about how the human mind works. I highly recommend this book!

It has been a while since I read it. It was great; I need to read it again. Maybe I will get the Kindle version this time so it is easy to generate notes.

• 2 months later...

https://www.standard.co.uk/lifestyle/london-life/the-thought-father-nobel-prize-winning-psychologist-daniel-kahneman-on-luck-9199162.html

As for Kahneman’s million-selling 2011 book, Thinking, Fast and Slow — the distillation of his life’s work, dedicated to Tversky, who died in 1996 — well, we count ourselves lucky that he wrote it at all. “I hated every minute of writing it and I didn’t like it when it was finished,” he complains. “So its success has been a great surprise to me.”

"A reliable way to make people believe in falsehoods is frequent repetition, because familiarity is not easily distinguished from truth."

This statement couldn't be more relevant in todays political environment.

This tool is very commonly used in dictatorships. Just read Orwell. Those who grew up behind the Iron curtain know this very well.

"A reliable way to make people believe in falsehoods is frequent repetition, because familiarity is not easily distinguished from truth."

This tool is very commonly used in dictatorships. Just read Orwell. Those who grew up behind the Iron curtain know this very well.

Or read Trump's Twitter.

Happens in investment discussions too... Not always consciously ... 

Happens in investment discussions too... Not always consciously ...

I say Berkshire entirely too often.

• 1 month later...

Another article about biases and de-biasing: https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2018/09/cognitive-bias/565775/

Kahneman again. Tetlock again. But also Nisbett (who I haven't seen mentioned before) and some good links and pointers.

Since you seem to have a significant attachment to the halo effect, you may be interested in:

https://deepblue.lib.umich.edu/bitstream/handle/2027.42/92158/TheHaloEffect.pdf?sequence=1&isAllowed=y

"When considering the establishment of rules concerning blind review, conflict of interest, nepotism, and the like, it would therefore seem advisable to consider more than the possibility that some individuals in the system may be venal and corrupt. The protestations of even the most virtuous and disinterested participants that they are capable of independent judgments should be considered suspect."

Beware of the venal and the virtuous?

Since you seem to have a significant attachment to the halo effect, you may be interested in:

https://deepblue.lib.umich.edu/bitstream/handle/2027.42/92158/TheHaloEffect.pdf?sequence=1&isAllowed=y

Two different videotaped interviews were staged with the same individual—a

college instructor who spoke English with a European accent. In one of the

interviews the instructor was warm and friendly, in the other, cold and distant.

The subjects who saw the warm instructor rated his appearance, mannerisms,

and accent as appealing, whereas those who saw the cold instructor rated these

attributes as irritating These results indicate that global evaluations of a person

can induce altered evaluations of the person's attributes, even when there is

sufficient information to allow for independent assessments of them.

Now I know why people don't like my couture.  8)

• 1 year later...