FNMA and FMCC preferreds. In search of the elusive 10 bagger.

twacowfca

The Sweeney trial, in the Court of Federal Claims, will be done by the end of next year -- if it even gets that far -- which I doubt.

But wouldn't there be a long appeals process? I feel like this is one of those cases that lasts many years and ends up in the Supreme Court.

The losing party only gets one appeal by right. There is no "right" to be heard by the Supreme Court. The Supreme Court must agree to listen to the case.

I know I've asked this before but am still not clear on the answer:

1. If I swap from FNMA common to FMCC common, I know the wash sale rule doesn't count.

2. If I swap from FNMA common to FNMA preferred, I am pretty sure it doesn't count.

3. If I swap from FNMA preferred to another series of FNMA preferred, I am not as sure.

Does anyone know #2 & 3 for sure? The SEC website's description is a bit vague.

(1) is correct.

(3) also will not count -- I checked with my accountant about this last week.

(2), on the other hand, I'm not sure about. I don't know if it's substantially the same or not.

• Replies 17.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The losing party only gets one appeal by right. There is no "right" to be heard by the Supreme Court. The Supreme Court must agree to listen to the case.

1. If I swap from FNMA common to FMCC common, I know the wash sale rule doesn't count.

2. If I swap from FNMA common to FNMA preferred, I am pretty sure it doesn't count.

3. If I swap from FNMA preferred to another series of FNMA preferred, I am not as sure.

(1) is correct.

(2), on the other hand, I'm not sure about. I don't know if it's substantially the same or not.

Thanks, Merkhet.

If #3 is okay (swapping from one series of Pfd to another), then I feel like #2 (common to pfd) should most certainly be okay given that common and pfd are less "same" than 2 series of pfd.

(1) is correct.

Thanks, Merkhet.

If #3 is okay (swapping from one series of Pfd to another), then I feel like #2 (common to pfd) should most certainly be okay given that common and pfd are less "same" than 2 series of pfd.

My apologies, I mis-typed for (3) -- my accountant says that a swap of one series of preferred for another series of preferred will be considered substantially similar securities for the purposes of the wash rule -- i.e. no tax benefit.

I suspect that for (2) that it's an easier case to make that common and preferred are not substantially similar for the purposes of the wash sale rule such that the wash sale rule will not apply.

Plaintiffs Brief in Opposition to Defendants Motion to Dismiss, USDC Iowa, attached.

Continental Western's reply to UST's filing of Lamberth decision to Iowa court

"On the Perry court’s understanding of Section 4617(f), then, FHFA need not offer any

rehabilitative rationale for its actions or otherwise even pretend to pursue the traditional goals

and actions of a conservator to avail itself of immunity from suit. So long as Fannie and Freddie

continue to operate profitably, FHFA is free to give all of the Companies’ assets to anyone, for

any reason. Congress surely did not intend Section 4617(f) to bring about such absurd results."

49-1.pdf

The Sweeney trial, in the Court of Federal Claims, will be done by the end of next year -- if it even gets that far -- which I doubt.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-10-14/fannie-mae-common-shares-rally-rebounding-from-judge-s-ruling.html

An alternative thought is that me-too hedge funds are getting out of their preferred positions.

Do you expect a settlement before trial?

I think a settlement is a good possibility -- especially if the Iowa court determines soon that they have jurisdiction. (Basically, there is a mini-appeals process happening in the Iowa court right now.) Defendant briefs are due October 30th, and I expect a decision by the end of November.

Again, as a disclaimer, I've been dead wrong so far on the litigation aspect of this case...

Philosophically, the WSJ believes that government involvement distorts the free market -- so Fannie & Freddie surviving will continue to impose a distortion on the mortgage market. They're not necessarily wrong, but it's also not necessarily an immoral thing to distort the market to allow ease of home ownership for those who are lower on the socioeconomic scale.

Not sure that John Carney wrote that particular WSJ article, but he writes others for "Heard on the Street." They reflect the same negative sentiment. I think John Carney has a reputation for being very opinionated. In fact, a bio of him at his ex-employer, CNBC, states that he opposed all bailouts, thinks there was nothing wrong with letting Lehman fail, and favors insider trading. I know people of various economic/political orientations feel strongly one way or the other over bailouts, but favoring insider trading?

Not sure that John Carney wrote that particular WSJ article, but he writes others for "Heard on the Street." They reflect the same negative sentiment. I think John Carney has a reputation for being very opinionated. In fact, a bio of him at his ex-employer, CNBC, states that he opposed all bailouts, thinks there was nothing wrong with letting Lehman fail, and favors insider trading. I know people of various economic/political orientations feel strongly one way or the other over bailouts, but favoring insider trading?

There is an idea that allowing insider trading leads to more accurately priced securities -> more efficient markets.

Another negative article from John Carney, I see. 

This guy is beginning to take this issue on Fannie and Freddie too personally, and he's generating a lot of craps!

Let him.  In fact, we should encourage him. I would love to pick up preferred and common for 50% less then where they currently trade in a few months when I have my year end bonus.

I think a settlement is a good possibility -- especially if the Iowa court determines soon that they have jurisdiction. (Basically, there is a mini-appeals process happening in the Iowa court right now.) Defendant briefs are due October 30th, and I expect a decision by the end of November.

Again, as a disclaimer, I've been dead wrong so far on the litigation aspect of this case...

I remember last year you were quite skeptical about the litigation prospects. You said: "(2) Standing - This actually worries me. It's possible that none of the currently filed cases can go forward because the plaintiffs might lack standing to bring a case (directly and/or derivatively) against the U.S. government / FHFA / Treasury.  Professor Epstein's response to this is not compelling to me.  When you have to step back and rely on "general legal maxims" and/or "the broad unconstitutionality" of a legal statute, you are probably in trouble. Notice that he does not cite case law for any of this stuff..."

What made you change your mind? Is it judge Sweeney's award for discovery?

Yup. Sweeney allowing for jurisdictional discovery was a big deal.

Additionally, their unwillingness to produce a whole administrative record combined with the stupidity of trying to say that the documents would have a destabilizing effect on the economy helped too.

Why not produce the documents indicating your innocence and forego a lengthy trial process? Only if you have something to hide.

Yup. Sweeney allowing for jurisdictional discovery was a big deal.

Additionally, their unwillingness to produce a whole administrative record combined with the stupidity of trying to say that the documents would have a destabilizing effect on the economy helped too.

Why not produce the documents indicating your innocence and forego a lengthy trial process? Only if you have something to hide.

So what are the leverages of the government at this point? Can they interfere with the discovery process?

Leverage re the recap or the litigation?

The leverage re the litigation. I think the government wants to keep the current state as it is forever, but that seems impossible. They cannot exercise their 79% warrants on the common because then they will have to account for the trillions of liabilties on the national debt. But they can't just let this 79% value go away. That would be too stupid either. What will they do then? Letting the warrants expire and then keep taking all profits each month from Fannie and Freddie? Is that their plan?

Leverage re the recap or the litigation?

The leverage re the litigation. I think the government wants to keep the current state as it is forever, but that seems impossible. They cannot exercise their 79% warrants on the common because then they will have to account for the trillions of liabilties on the national debt. But they can't just let this 79% value go away. That would be too stupid either. What will they do then? Letting the warrants expire and then keep taking all profits each month from Fannie and Freddie? Is that their plan?

I believe as long as they own less than 80%, they don't have to take on the liabilities.

That's what I'm afraid of too, keeping the status quo. Govt continues to make money to waste on earmarks and they get political bragging rights for taking the evil financial company money for the "benefit of taxpayers". Such a shame that our country has gotten to this point. I suppose it's normal for post-crisis eras.