Chou America Funds!

Parsad

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks 50cent.  I always like to peruse Chou's quarterly reports to see what kind of ideas that he's finding.  He truly is a genius and has a big set of balls when it comes to position sizing.

I noticed that he's holding about $1m of SinoForest bonds which he probably bought for a fraction of a penny.  Anybody have any ideas about what his value proposition is for SinoForest bonds?  Surely they are cheap, but maybe deservedly cheap?  On the other hand, maybe he knows something that will earn him 5 or 10 bags?

SJ

Thanks, this was short and sweet.  I liked this quote:

Some prices for non-investment grade bonds do not reflect the risks inherent in these securities. A

company can float 10 year non-investment grade bonds with a coupon of 5.5% and investors will buy

them at 100 cents on the dollar. Just a few years ago, a similar bond would be trading for 60 cents or less.

In fact, there is a good chance that these debt securities may now be overvalued, and that the possibility of

a large, permanent loss of capital is extremely high

I want to buy some shares for my 401K's brokerage window since it only allows mutual funds. However, this fund is not available with T. Rowe Price. Is it something that Francis is working on? Can I contact the fund to find out?

It's been awhile since I've asked, but anyone have any idea when the funds will be available through Fidelity?

Thanks.

I spoke with Francis a few weeks back on this issue and he told me that it would probably take between 3-6 months.  My hope is that it is closer to three!

I want to buy some shares for my 401K's brokerage window since it only allows mutual funds. However, this fund is not available with T. Rowe Price. Is it something that Francis is working on? Can I contact the fund to find out?

It's been awhile since I've asked, but anyone have any idea when the funds will be available through Fidelity?

Thanks.

You can try but I've found the fund reps are very unhelpful and not at all knowledgeable about this kind of thing. Another option is to directly ask TRP to carry it.

I spoke with Francis a few weeks back on this issue and he told me that it would probably take between 3-6 months.  My hope is that it is closer to three!

Don't you guys think the expense ratio is kinda high? I know it is still a small fund but at 1.5%... that's too high for me.  Most I am willing to pay is around ~1% top ( sequoia and fairholme).

I think it'll go down over time. Chou originally had a 12b1 fee on it and the drove it to 1.75% but he eliminated it. The guy has a ton of character from everything I've read.

I don't think so.  FAIRX is at 8b in assets. 1% of that is 80m.  CHOEX is at 60m in assets. 1.5% of that is 900k.  Do you think Bruce Berkowitz works 90 times as hard as Francis Chou?  From what I hear, there are a lot of expenses that go into running a US mutual fund.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Chou Associates is for Canadians and Chou Opportunity is for Americans. I don't us Yankees can buy Associates.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

Pretty crazy ride.

Up almost 20% in the past 3 months (top 1% of peers). Long term performance is still not good though.

Chou's flagship Canadian Fund - Chou Associates - with $330M in assets is up some 7.5% over past 3 months - not close to the Chou America.

10 and 15 year returns for Chou Associates are in 5.5%/yr range. I'm disappointed he's not given an explanation as to what he has learned from this underperformance and changes that have been made to avoid similar fate in future.

• 2 weeks later...

Here are some general thoughts about Chou. If anyone could shed light on these, it's much appreciated:

I'm looking at the Chou Associates fund on Morningstar.

From inception through Friday, a $10,000 investment would have turned into about $218,600 (vs $107,000 for average Global Equity fund vs $252,000 for S&P 500). So, is his performance due to superior ability or because he had a large slice of his investments in US securities? If his fund truly is global equity, then he did quite well for his investors. Though Global Equity is a hard one to put in a box.

Let's take a look at his RRSP fund next.

If he had superior ability, he should be able to outperform in an area with more inefficiencies: smaller companies - especially foreign. From inception through Friday, his fund turned a $100,000 investment into $161,600 vs $145,800 for average for "Canadian Focused Small/Mid Cap Equity". Not bad but not outstanding either. This is a bit of cherry picking dates, but if we look back as recently as Sept of 2017 he was trailing the average fund since inception. That's 30+ years of under-performance.

One last observation. It's been noted that Chou helped Watsa find the subprime trade. If that's the case, why did his funds perform so terribly during that time? Let's take a look. With a start date of 1/1/07, his fund (Associates) turned $10,000 into $5485. The average Global Equity came in at $5,694 (March 6th 2009). So he saw it coming yet still under-performed his peer group. Now, to be fair the S&P 500 at this time came in at $5,059.

Thanks zippy but I'm not even referring to whether a fund could buy the CDS or not. I'm referring to how poorly it performed knowing that the risk was there. He has no problem hold large amounts of cash.

Stahleyp,

Both 10 & 15 year results are under 6%/yr. This would qualify as long term and I would suggest this is underperformance for someone so bright and engaged in deep value investing.

What I've seen is that the fund manager has the ability to pick equities with 5x & 10x returns, but the benefit gets negated by so many picks that result in >50% losses. So far, he has been able to find winners but unable to avoid the losers. I'm hopeful a turnaround is in the future, but am I wrong to keep the hope?

Down over 17% this year...and has lost money over 5 (bottom 100% of funds in category). So during a time when the S&P 500 has earned over 14% annually...this fund has managed to lose over 1.5% per year. Pretty remarkable.