Chou America Funds!

Parsad

Thanks for the responses!  Just wondering, is there a formula that determines the expense ratio from the fund size?  That is, if the asset base doubles in the fund, how much lower will the expense ratio go?

I'm in Shane's camp: trying to find a good, ethical active money manager.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the responses!  Just wondering, is there a formula that determines the expense ratio from the fund size?  That is, if the asset base doubles in the fund, how much lower will the expense ratio go?

I'm in Shane's camp: trying to find a good, ethical active money manager.

It's up the individual managers. For example, Fairholme has had the same ER (1%) since inception, despite now having assets of almost $20b.

Other funds (Bridgeway is one rare example) change the ER based on performance.  One of the Bridgeway funds (BRAGX) has had very poor recent performance so it actually has a -0.51% (negative 0.51%) ER right now.

I believe Francis returned his fees to his clients one year when he wasn't happy with the performance.

Parsad,

Chou now runs quite a few funds, as someone who has never worked in the industry this might be an incorrect assumption, but do you think he is spread too thin?  I have a very hard time balancing work/school/and personal investing, I think running more than a 1-2 funds would be a monumental task.  Does he have a team of analysts (If so are they good?), or is he a one-man show?

I am very interested in finding an active manager to invest with, I like that he has solid performance and people here have some personal knowledge of him which allows me to feel more comfortable... also because I don't do anything with derivatives it's attractive that he does.

No, not at all.  It's really dependent on the manager.  Francis has been in the industry for a long time, and he's had a very broad base of experiences between his funds and Fairfax.  Remember, his circle of competence is probably as wide as Prem's.  There are a number of businesses that he probably knows intimately and whenever they fall in a range that he likes, he can just snap them up because of that base of knowledge he has.

As far as spread too thin.  No, I think he may have been spread too thin when he was managing about $750M with no assistant and answering over 50 calls a day.  That's when he hired an administrative assistant!  His funds are pretty broad as well, and his universe of investments is pretty wide still.  Some people like analysts, some don't.  At some point, maybe he'll hire one, but only he'll know when he's comfortable with that decision.

I think sometimes investors overanalyze a manager, instead of looking at the manager's motives, ethics, intellectual framework and performance.  If they have a vested interest in their own funds, they aren't going to do anything to jeopardize that, and will acknowledge when they are overworked and need to hire assistance.  But alot of managers prefer to work alone or with a very limited team...I don't see us hiring any analysts ever.  Cheers!

There is no 12b-1 fee on the Chou America funds. They have been eliminated.

When did that happen? According to their prospectus, it still has one.

"Rule 12b-1 Distribution and Shareholder Service Fees

The Trust has adopted a Rule 12b-1 plan under which the Funds pay the Distributor up to 0.25% of the average

daily  net assets of the Funds for distribution services and the servicing of shareholder accounts.  Rule 12b-1

payments to participating financial institutions begin to accrue immediately on a daily basis and typically are

paid on a quarterly basis.  "

Morningstar also says there is one.

http://financials.morningstar.com/fund/expense.html?t=US1704311000&region=USA&culture=en-us

The Trust has adopted a Rule 12b-1 plan under which the Funds pay the Distributor up to 0.25% of the average

daily  net assets of the Funds for distribution services and the servicing of shareholder accounts.  Rule 12b-1

payments to participating financial institutions begin to accrue immediately on a daily basis and typically are

http://financials.morningstar.com/fund/expense.html?t=US1704311000&region=USA&culture=en-us

In the next Prospectus, which I believe is coming out in April, you will find that the 12b-1 fee has been eliminated for both funds.

In the next Prospectus, which I believe is coming out in April, you will find that the 12b-1 fee has been eliminated for both funds.

That's awesome to hear! I'd like to read more about the expenses too. If you don't mind me asking, how did you find this out? Thanks for the insight! :)

I don't know what sort of wording will be used in the revised prospectus, but in our last get-together, Francis stated that he had decided to stop accruing the 12b-1 Distribution fee. He also mentioned the Shareholder Service fee and, as far as I know, he has no plans to charge for that either. He is concerned with doing what is right. This being his first experience as a US-registered manager, he is having to learn about the differences between Canada and the US. And there are some pretty big differences. 

Parsad,

Chou now runs quite a few funds, as someone who has never worked in the industry this might be an incorrect assumption, but do you think he is spread too thin?  I have a very hard time balancing work/school/and personal investing, I think running more than a 1-2 funds would be a monumental task.  Does he have a team of analysts (If so are they good?), or is he a one-man show?

I am very interested in finding an active manager to invest with, I like that he has solid performance and people here have some personal knowledge of him which allows me to feel more comfortable... also because I don't do anything with derivatives it's attractive that he does.

No, not at all.  It's really dependent on the manager.  Francis has been in the industry for a long time, and he's had a very broad base of experiences between his funds and Fairfax.  Remember, his circle of competence is probably as wide as Prem's.  There are a number of businesses that he probably knows intimately and whenever they fall in a range that he likes, he can just snap them up because of that base of knowledge he has.

As far as spread too thin.  No, I think he may have been spread too thin when he was managing about $750M with no assistant and answering over 50 calls a day.  That's when he hired an administrative assistant!  His funds are pretty broad as well, and his universe of investments is pretty wide still.  Some people like analysts, some don't.  At some point, maybe he'll hire one, but only he'll know when he's comfortable with that decision.

I think sometimes investors overanalyze a manager, instead of looking at the manager's motives, ethics, intellectual framework and performance.  If they have a vested interest in their own funds, they aren't going to do anything to jeopardize that, and will acknowledge when they are overworked and need to hire assistance.  But alot of managers prefer to work alone or with a very limited team...I don't see us hiring any analysts ever.  Cheers!

Fairholme's investment operation is two people - Bruce and Charlie. $25B and counting!

• 1 month later...

I don't know what sort of wording will be used in the revised prospectus, but in our last get-together, Francis stated that he had decided to stop accruing the 12b-1 Distribution fee. He also mentioned the Shareholder Service fee and, as far as I know, he has no plans to charge for that either. He is concerned with doing what is right. This being his first experience as a US-registered manager, he is having to learn about the differences between Canada and the US. And there are some pretty big differences. 

New prospectus is out. You were right! :)

http://www.chouamerica.com/pdf/2011.05.01Prospectus.pdf

Distribution and/or Service (12b-1) Fees 0.00%

Total Annual Fund Operating Expenses After Waivers and Reimbursements

(2)

Francis is one of the few people I would trust with my life.  He will always do the right thing for investors, and always ahead of his own interests.  It's why Prem holds him in such high esteem.  I'm proud to call him my friend!  Cheers!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Mr. B or anyone else,

Anyone know if there's been any progress getting these funds on Fidelity?  I'm trying to invest some IRA money and so would prefer not to go through the process of transferring these assets to somewhere else.

I called the fund, and the guy answering the phone had no idea when it would happen.  He also told me that the funds weren't available at ANY brokerages (even though we know they're available at Schwab and Scottrade).

Thanks!

-M

Will check on Fidelity.

Is available on Schwab. Log into your online Schwab account. go to "Research" and enter one of the two tickers CHOEZ or CHOEX into the "Enter name or Symbol" box at the top left hand of the "Research" page.

Alternatively copy one of the following links into the address bar of your browser after having logged in.

https://investing.schwab.com/secure/cc/nn/gw/wsod?path=/retail/research/mutualfunds/summary.asp&symbol=CHOEZ

https://investing.schwab.com/secure/cc/nn/gw/wsod?path=/retail/research/mutualfunds/summary.asp&symbol=CHOEX

I have a Schwab account, so let me know if you run into trouble and I can speak to my account rep.

• 2 weeks later...

CHOEX (Chou Equity) most recent top holdings.  Cash is down from 65% last quarter to the 30s now:

As of June 30, 2011

Holdings percentage of assets

Overstock.com 13.4%

Sears Holdings Corp. 8.5%

UTStarcom Inc. 7.1%

Sprint Nextel Corp. 5.8%

Asta Funding Inc. 5.2%

Goldman Sachs Group 4.8%

Berkshire Hathaway-A 4.8%

The Gap Inc. 4.6%

RadioShack Corp. 4.5%

Office Depot 4.4%

• 4 months later...
Guest misterstockwell

Ouch! My one year results are -20% for the Equity fund, and -15% for the Income fund. So much for outsourcing some of my investing capital in the name of diversification.

CHOEX (Chou Equity) most recent top holdings.  Cash is down from 65% last quarter to the 30s now:

As of June 30, 2011

Overstock.com 13.4%

UTStarcom Inc. 7.1%

Sprint Nextel Corp. 5.8%

Asta Funding Inc. 5.2%

Goldman Sachs Group 4.8%

The Gap Inc. 4.6%

RadioShack Corp. 4.5%

Office Depot 4.4%

No banks? And so many distressed retailers.

As of June 30, 2011

Overstock.com 13.4%

UTStarcom Inc. 7.1%

Sprint Nextel Corp. 5.8%

Asta Funding Inc. 5.2%

Goldman Sachs Group 4.8%

The Gap Inc. 4.6%

RadioShack Corp. 4.5%

Office Depot 4.4%

No banks? And so many distressed retailers.

I think Chou held some BAC and JPM warrants last time I checked.

I would really love to know what is the obsession with OSTK from the whole Watsa crew. I personally don't get it.

As of September 30, 2011:

Top 10 Holdings percentage of assets

Overstock.com 12.0%

UTStarcom Holdings 7.4%

MBIA Inc. 5.5%

Aeropostale Inc. 5.5%

Office Depot 5.0%

The Gap Inc. 4.8%

AbitibiBowater Inc. 4.7%

Citigroup Inc. 4.5%

Sears Holdings Corp. 4.5%