Iran - Israel - Gaza Conflict

Luca

1 minute ago, Parsad said:

Hamas is using civilian and government sites as strategic locations to hide and organize.  This is not a fair war being fought in the open...but they are using civilians as human shields.  How do you deal with a terrorist group/foe that is hiding underneath hospitals and temples?

I'm for all the humanitarian aid that can be provided to civilians but at the same time you are dealing with a group ransacking the aid and selling it to fund their terrorist activities.  

This is not a conventional war.  Either you suffer the consequences of civilian casualties to remove Hamas or you give in to them and allow them to organize another terrorist attack on Israeli civilians and continue repressing their own people.

I'm not sure why those attacking Israel cannot understand that Hamas is not your friendly neighbourhood rebel!  They should be compared to Rwandan death squads that recruit children and rape women, or Al Qaida after the 9/11 attack.  

Cheers!

Sajeev,  The 5 points of Genocide being committed:

1. Mass killing of Palestinians -  innocent death toll is at 33,000 and counting

2. Bodily and mental harm - Over 76,000 wounded

3.  forced displacement and food blockade 

4.  Destruction of the health care system

5. Preventing Palestinian births 

If you compare hamaas to the rawanda death squads, how would you compare the IDF based on the above 5 points being committed against innocent ppl?  

The question is not getting rid of hamas as that's what Israel media wants you to believe is the issue to justify the Genocide. The real question is how to make hamas irrelevant .  Maybe, just maybe if you treat the Palestinians like humans and you give them their dignity outside of an 'open air prison' then maybe the reason for hamas to exist may not be required which in turn would make them irrelevant.  To make a lasting deal, you need two sides to want to make a deal and Trump even admitted, Israel PM Netanyahu never wanted to make peace.    

3 minutes ago, ourkid8 said:

1. Mass killing of Palestinians -  innocent death toll is at 33,000 and counting

If you compare hamaas to the rawanda death squads, how would you compare the IDF based on the above 5 points being committed against innocent ppl?  

The question is not getting rid of hamas as that's what Israel media wants you to believe is the issue to justify the Genocide. The real question is how to make hamas irrelevant .  Maybe, just maybe if you treat the Palestinians like humans and you give them their dignity outside of an 'open air prison' then maybe the reason for hamas to exist may not be required which in turn would make them irrelevant.  To make a lasting deal, you need two sides to want to make a deal and Trump even admitted, Israel PM Netanyahu never wanted to make peace.    

Since members of Hamas are included in that death toll, according to you they are clearly innocent.  We get it.  Hamas should be allowed to kill Israelis and Israelis are supposed to do nothing in response and cannot be allowed to defend themselves.  

Just now, Dinar said:

Since members of Hamas are included in that death toll, according to you they are clearly innocent.  We get it.  Hamas should be allowed to kill Israelis and Israelis are supposed to do nothing in response and cannot be allowed to defend themselves.  

The idea that Israel is defending itself is absurd as the notion that a rapist is defending itself from the victim - Israel is the occupier!

2 minutes ago, backtothebeach said:

I suggest this thread be deleted. We've done well without a dedicated Middle East thread for the last 6 months.

Why? If you dont enjoy the thread dont read, i enjoy the different opinions and its a good source of knowledge learning about the opposing sites. 

17 minutes ago, Ulti said:

Yeah just ask Bill Clinton and Arafat

Palestinian are to be blamed. They had every chance. They had the best offer a “loser” can get. Thats their legacy. 

23 minutes ago, ourkid8 said:

Maybe, just maybe if you treat the Palestinians like humans and you give them their dignity outside of an 'open air prison' then maybe the reason for hamas to exist may not be required which in turn would make them irrelevant. 

lol. How about the jobs and opportunities offered to them by Israelis. I’m sure they find similar employment with hamas…

how many Jews in Arab gvt vs Arabs in Israeli gvt.

31 minutes ago, Dinar said:

You are right, also Assyrians for that matter.  Agree regarding Netanyahu and Ben Gvir.  

Zelenskyy must be going mad now. He is losing more and more of the spotlight. 

29 minutes ago, ourkid8 said:

3,4,5 I agree on...but 1,2 (nope)...Over 70,000 Afghani and Pakistani citizens were killed after 9/11...numbers estimated at close to 300K Iraqi civilians died after 9/11!

The word genocide never came up after 9/11...it was the U.S. hunting down Al Qaida and no one really had a problem with it and most Americans and international allies supported it.

Cheers!  

22 minutes ago, ourkid8 said:

The idea that Israel is defending itself is absurd as the notion that a rapist is defending itself from the victim - Israel is the occupier!

This is effed up!  If anything, Israel is the rape victim in an area surrounded by Arab states that want nothing but to wipe them off the face of the earth.  And I'm not blaming the citizens of those Arab states except that they've put those irrational and destructive fundamentalists in power!  Cheers!

7 minutes ago, Parsad said:

This is effed up!  If anything, Israel is the rape victim in an area surrounded by Arab states that want nothing but to wipe them off the face of the earth.  And I'm not blaming the citizens of those Arab states except that they've put those irrational and destructive fundamentalists in power!  Cheers!

+1

20 minutes ago, Luca said:

Why? If you dont enjoy the thread dont read, i enjoy the different opinions and its a good source of knowledge learning about the opposing sites. 

Parsad deleted an Israel/Gaza thread after October 7th. However he takes part in this one, so maybe he thinks differently now.

IMO this stuff is just too divisive, nobody will change anyone's mind, and is going to be 99% not investment related.

There should be an Oil & Gas thread, and if Middle East discussions creep in from time to time that's ok, but every dedicated political thread is one too many IMO.

1 minute ago, backtothebeach said:

Parsad deleted an Israel/Gaza thread after October 7th. However he takes part in this one, so maybe he thinks differently now.

IMO this stuff is just too divisive, nobody will change anyone's mind, and is going to be 99% not investment related.

There should be an Oil & Gas thread, and if Middle East discussions creep in from time to time that's ok, but every dedicated political thread is one too many IMO.

A separate Politics board didn't work.  Deleting threads doesn't work. 

Whether we like it or not, politics is intertwined with what happens in the global economic landscape.  It is inescapable!

I would rather isolate it to a couple of threads, then have it run rampant on all threads.

Cheers!

1 minute ago, Parsad said:

A separate Politics board didn't work.  Deleting threads doesn't work. 

Whether we like it or not, politics is intertwined with what happens in the global economic landscape.  It is inescapable!

I would rather isolate it to a couple of threads, then have it run rampant on all threads.

Cheers!

Fair enough. Too bad there is no "ignore thread" feature.

5 minutes ago, Parsad said:

3,4,5 I agree on...but 1,2 (nope)...Over 70,000 Afghani and Pakistani citizens were killed after 9/11...numbers estimated at close to 300K Iraqi civilians died after 9/11!

The word genocide never came up after 9/11...it was the U.S. hunting down Al Qaida and no one really had a problem with it and most Americans and international allies supported it.

Cheers!  

Genocide is a dangerous word. 

From my perspective Israel is NOT committing genocide …. Not yet anyways.

Me and The Economist are on the same page on this. 

but I am still dwelling on this. 

Was Germany committing genocide in the mid-30s (pre concentration camp era) or was it only in the 40s ?  (When the action started)

To be sure Israel is committing war crimes. That is for sure. And these are not few bad apples as you like to think. When your government is filled by right-wing messianic figures demanding the creation of “greater Israel”, well guess what ? Some “people” got to go. That view permeates some in the IDF as does the nonsense coming from Ayatollah permeating IRGC. 

Personally I always believe pre Oct 7th that IDF was a just organization. For years I admired their contribution, but I just cannot accept somethings that I see. But that is just me. 

Lastly Sanjeev, you got to stop comparing Israel with US. The United States rightly or wrongly did some things, but it never had designs or incentive in “eliminating” entire group of people. Why ? Because it was NOT from the region. Its ambitions was geopolitical in the Middle East. So your comment is not valid. 

Israel has a stake and interest in “removing” people. Now whether it actually has state-level design or not. That is another matter.

I personally do not believe so. But like I said it has a racist government that is pushing that way. 

20 minutes ago, Parsad said:

actually this wrong as well. 

it is the reverse. It is mostly Arab government that wanted (pre 10/07) good relation with Israel but cannot get too close due to their people being pro-Palestine. 

and also I cannot think of any Arab country that has fundamentalist in power. Sure they have autocrats and dictators but not fundamentalist. Iran does however. 

2 hours ago, gfp said:

Bitcoin was probably the only market that was open.  If you feel like reducing risk and raising cash, you go with the markets that are currently open.  Bitcoin is always open.

This is actually really interesting.