Fairfax 2024

1 hour ago, Junior R said:

Fairfax Financial automatic plan bought 8700 shares over $1549 during July...This wasn't included in the earnings... We should see them buy more at these prices 

2024-08-07 19_55_44-Window.png

Looks like a 1550 top for the whole month. It doesn’t look like the stock trading under that price during the month except on those days FFH was active.

I thought it was perfectly obvious what's been driving FFH price action since Jul 31... 😉

image.thumb.png.7cef3ad792957035a27f83b2a4ba48b8.png

On 7/31/2024 at 8:05 AM, Hoodlum said:

It look like IDBI decision is moving along with Fairfax India being the leading contender.  

https://www.moneycontrol.com/news/business/banks/fairfax-likely-frontrunner-for-idbi-bank-stake-acquisition-12783559.html#google_vignette

21 minutes ago, Thrifty3000 said:

I thought it was perfectly obvious what's been driving FFH price action since Jul 31... 😉

image.thumb.png.7cef3ad792957035a27f83b2a4ba48b8.png

The “bad” reasons why FFH is down in no particular order:

-IDBI deal

-ZZZ deal

- decline in the interest rate curve

Please add yours!

Just now, SafetyinNumbers said:

-IDBI deal

-ZZZ deal

Please add yours!

People using FFH as cash and selling to buy other undervalued stocks that got beaten up

5 minutes ago, SafetyinNumbers said:

It’s a $6b cheque. FFH will surely be contributing at least $1b.

Are you sure it's 6b? How is fairfax india even going come up with 5b lol

Edited by Junior R

2 hours ago, SafetyinNumbers said:

-IDBI deal

-ZZZ deal

Please add yours!

First two makes no sense to me and not even a news of the last week? But what do I know:). Third could be the real thing, as maybe also fears of the hurrucane season would, but other insurance stocks not going down as much (or at all). So this is either some noise, perhaps also low volume related or maybe there is a chance we could see a new "update" from MW, but why whould they not did this during silent period then? Maybe were busy deleting old tweets...It is tempting to buy some additional shares near BV:)

Edited by UK

1 hour ago, SafetyinNumbers said:

It’s a $6b cheque. FFH will surely be contributing at least $1b.

So another quarterly profit sized amount as with Sleep? And why should this be necessarily perceived as bad from the start?

1 hour ago, Junior R said:

Are you sure it's 6b? How is fairfax india even going come up with 5b lol

Market cap is 6,000 crore or about $1B CDN...so 51% would be $510M.  Add a premium and you are looking at max $750M CDN for 51%.  Cheers!  

9 minutes ago, Parsad said:

Market cap is 6,000 crore or about $1B CDN...so 51% would be $510M.  Add a premium and you are looking at max $750M CDN for 51%.  Cheers!  

What??  Aren't we talking about IDBI bank here?  Almost $12 Billion USD market cap?  51% would be $6 Billion USD

9 minutes ago, Thrifty3000 said:

^ feels like an important thing to nail down

I feel like it's pretty well nailed down.  Market capitalization is a super easy to figure 1 trillion INR.  It's not 6000 crore, it's like 100,000 crore.

2 minutes ago, mananainvesting said:

The price target from Morningstar makes 0 sense! Target price of $1180 CAD, which is $860 USD, below book value! What the heck! Looks like this analyst is in the "Management destroys value" camp! 

Is that Brett Horn?  He's stuck in the past.  "we believe disciplined underwriting is a more reliable path to long-term value creation...."   - yeah buddy, we all do.

You don't have to be good at your job when you have a job like his.  Remember - companies miss analysts' figures not the other way around!

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Parsad said:

Marketcap is 1T rupees, which at 1 usd=84 rupees, roughly translates to $12B usd Marketcap. 

2 minutes ago, gfp said:

Is that Brett Horn?  He's stuck in the past.  "we believe disciplined underwriting is a more reliable path to long-term value creation...."   - yeah buddy, we all do.

You don't have to be good at your job when you have a job like his.  Remember - companies miss analysts' figures not the other way around!

Yup!, could be one of the reasons people are selling. But Morningstar has been bearish for a while. 

58 minutes ago, gfp said:

What??  Aren't we talking about IDBI bank here?  Almost $12 Billion USD market cap?  51% would be $6 Billion USD

Whoops...my bad!  The article said CSB's market cap is 6000 crore...I mis-read that as IDBI's market cap.

Cheers!

8 hours ago, SafetyinNumbers said:

-IDBI deal

-ZZZ deal

Please add yours!

Ok I’ll play

1.  Weak Hands

(i) Margin,  WTF it goes down!
     (ii) changes in margin policy, bugger I got a call/email

2. Margin debt  at 2.8% of GDP, I don’t have any margin but aware of #1

3. Price=value,  great run, lock it in, October generally sucks, hurricanes etc

4. Rate cuts, hard market is done, earnings after 3 years or so will be permanently impaired

5. Hmmm, Berkshire sold half their Apple, cashed to the gills, cool, will rotate given their conservative positioning and taking into account 1-4. Share price alone (ignore divs on the returns chart) this might be an even race
6. Not aware of the IDBI possibility,  WTF

7. Aware of IDBI, hoped they wouldn’t make the list,  here we go again

8. They are going to buy a Canadian mattress company, again WTF

Point #2 was a bit of a revelation for me with 3% being a true red flag. Very easy to beaver away and collect positions on margin at appropriate valuations but get the rug pulled.  During deleveraging there is no safe haven, your fellow shareholder  may be getting called, tax matching, or simply panicking.  Valuation may well be secondary consideration or not even feature.

In order to not get shaken out I took some measures to ensure it couldn’t happen.  Selling Fairfax would cause some significant tax implications that are not warranted given price to IV.  Not adverse to paying tax at some point but not when this is still a <70 cent dollar and my best idea.

https://www.gurufocus.com/economic_indicators/4266/finra-investor-margin-debt-relative-to-gdp

https://www.owenanalytics.com.au/margin-lending?t&utm_source=perplexity

Edited by nwoodman