Outlive - Peter Attia

Liberty

I enjoyed the book as well. Have followed his podcasts/posts on and off over the years. They can be quite technical but appreciated his simplicity in the book.
I appreciate his non guru-ness and that he sticks to data and acknowledges the unknowns.

the last chapter on mental health was eye opening as well. Put a lot some things in perspective for me. Went back and listened to his podcast with terry real and ordered that book also.

Edited by hasilp89

Me too.  I read the book and I have been following his podcast since it started.  I found the book a nice summary if person doesn't want to listen to the many hours of the podcasts.

My takeaways are:

• the finer details of diets are probably less important than we realize.  For example, paleo vs keto vs vegan etc...  Stick with real food (meat, vegetables, fruits, etc).  More importantly, stay away from highly processed food, added sugars.  
  • insulin sensitivity is super-important.  Type 2 Diabetes and insulin insensitivity is a gateway to other diseases.. heart disease, cancer, Alzheimer's (although of course there are no guarantees)
  • Because insulin sensitivity is super important, maintaining muscle mass through your life is also really important, which leads to the next point
  • exercise is also super important.  Both cardio fitness and maintaining muscle mass through resistance training
  • Attia's editorial on the current medical system is spot on in my opinion.  There is not nearly enough done for preventative care.  Health care is really sick care.  Once you you have heart disease, it is really hard to restore you back to your original healthy self.  It's much better to do testing (eg early extensive lipids tests) and interventions when a person is in their 20s, 30s, and 40s, rather than waiting until they are 70 and their arteries are totally clogged.   

I read it and liked the book. But I also think Peter's podcast style (relaxed, verbose, prone to digressions) made the book hard to follow in its totality. Has anyone found a good succinct summary of the book and the "what to do's" from it? Frankly, I would have liked the "self-help cliff notes" as an appendix. 

1 hour ago, handycap5 said:

I read it and liked the book. But I also think Peter's podcast style (relaxed, verbose, prone to digressions) made the book hard to follow in its totality. Has anyone found a good succinct summary of the book and the "what to do's" from it? Frankly, I would have liked the "self-help cliff notes" as an appendix. 

That was actually one of my take aways from the book - there’s no cliff notes to longevity and wellness.

I particularly liked the super-rational section about calibrating fitness goals by selecting tasks you want to still be able to do at age 90s (hold a baby, put carry-on luggage in overhead bin etc) and then applying typical muscle loss from aging (8% a decade?) to back-solve for minimum you should be capable of at your current age. 

I also wasn't aware he spent a brief period of his early professional life as a bank regulations consultant, always interesting to see the variety of paths people take after finance careers.

• 2 weeks later...

This video is how I was introduced to this book: 

I really have enjoyed his analogy of "building muscle as a type of retirement account".  I bought the tonal 2 years ago and between that and a treadmill I have dropped about 10/15% of my body fat and increase my lean muscle by ~10%.

Because of this book I talk to my doctor about getting a CT anagram, DEXA scan and VO2 max. I have also started to take creatine, fish oil and I may start on statins. I am 36 and in the best shape of my life. There are a ton of other great takeaways from this book and i can't recommend it enough. 

• Parsad changed the title to Outlive - Peter Attia
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 10/9/2023 at 1:57 PM, Charlie said:

Anyone who read this book?

https://www.amazon.com/-/de/dp/B0CHWNZNFV/ref=sr_1_5?__mk_de_DE=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&crid=3JOEIFXUDHY7U&keywords=outlive&qid=1696877624&sprefix=outlive%2Caps%2C171&sr=8-5

It looks like a very good practical workbook of the book "Outlive".

I just ordered it.

Charlie your link doesn't seem to work anymore - can you provide a name and author? 

I just finished this book and thought it was wonderful book. Like many of you I also found it somewhat lacking in a "bow" around some points of the chapters. I was often left wondering what the actionable items were for a normal person without the capability to get all the various different labs and correctly interpret them. 

The one thing that surprised me was the importance of excercise though the confirmation of my own thoughts is nice. I have long thought of excercise as the critical path to healthiness - based on my own experiences of going from 5'8" 230 down to 170 and back up to 250. I know that exercise drives so many different things and our bodies are not meant to be as sedentary as they are now. (Which leads me to recommend a book a read a decade ago - "Born to Run".) I have often thought of it as a driver to get out of depressions, drive correct diet and other things. 

Still though I guess I was hoping for more cliff notes other than workout, eat right, and be mentally healthy. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have been listening and watching his podcasts and interviews for a while.  Boy that guy's smart.

He definitely has a interesting, more grounded approach to longevity, which makes sense given his MD background.  It will be interesting to see if some more of the "out there" approaches gain more traction.  Whereas I appreciate his protocols, I just can't really exercise for as long as he does, at least not while I have all the responsibilities I have.  Which sounds strange given that he's probably got a lot more responsibilities than I do, but maybe not.

Some takeaways from interviews I've heard from him

•  he starts from the place of "these are the four horsemen of death",  let's go one by one and try to prevent them.  I forget all of them but off the top of my head 
    • metabolic disease - insulin resistance and diabetes and those sorts of things
    • cardiovascular disease - by far the largest and least predictable...  he once said that his medical professor asked them "what's the number one  predictor(?) of  heart disease?".  after many people suggest things like chest pain, radiating pain, etc...  the professor said no it's "death".  it will be interesting to see if the diagnostic tools here get better other than just looking at  lipid  levels all the time.  he talks about APOB as the goal standard for that,  and apparently has a protocol including statins  that knockout his risk
    • cancer - other than some of the obvious ones ( alcohol, smoking)  it's also kind of unpredictable but,  again if you catch it early there's a much higher chance of survival. 
    •  neuro genitive diseases
  •  he also actually  mentions car accidents which are pretty high on the list,  so be sure to take whatever precautions you can there,  and get a heavy car!  

he doesn't really go into life extension much, but a lot of that has yet to be proven.