Start with A’s

crs223

Warren Buffett suggested to “start with the A’s”when looking for good companies.

I assume he was talking about the Moody’s manuals, Which seem to not be available anymore. Value Line offers a catalog of stocks to peruse. I spent a couple hours going through it today at the library. It was a wonderful experience!

But I saw a notice that my library from value line that said they’re going to stop publishing a paper copy of the MidCap and small cap stocks next month.  i’m gonna call value line tomorrow to see if that’s really the case.  i’ve used their digital service. But it sucks compared to the paper service because it takes multiple clicks to get to a compan’s PDF. I did not find a monolithic PDF that lists, hundreds or thousands of companies at a time, like the paper catalog does.

does anyone have another idea on how I can easily browse financial information about “all” (or many) companies?  i’m not interested in a process that involves much more than a page turn to get to the next company.  i’m definitely not interested in using a Web browser to perform a search query… Because the whole point is, I want to “browse” and I don’t wanna be inundated with pop-ups, clicking, cruft, etc.

thank you!

1 hour ago, aceskc said:

Gurufocus sells manuals broken down by size and/or industry

Interesting, I did not know they produced something like that.  You would still have to print it and bind it up to make it like the old school manuals but something like the Gurufocus downloads, whatever ValueLine still offers, and a local print shop or Kinkos you could probably stay sufficiently old school..

https://www.gurufocus.com/download_stockmanual.php

On 2/16/2023 at 10:18 AM, crs223 said:

I just called and signed up for value line. The guy said he has not heard about discontinuing of the printed products.  maybe it was just a notice printed from my local library.

You would probably like the formatting of this site:  https://roic.ai/classic/AAPL

Perhaps someone more clever than me could explain how you could extract pages like that in bulk and print them out so you could page through them.