Where are you going.. (Travel Thread)

Longnose

Wasn't really a fan of Bali. Stayed in Nusa Dua, Sanur, Kuta, and Ubud. Read that Canggu/Seminyak had been taken over by instagram influencers/digital nomads so didn't bother. I think if I were to go back I'd try and get more north than Ubud or even just go across to Lombok/Gili Islands. Have some gado gado for me. 

9 minutes ago, Gamecock-YT said:

Wasn't really a fan of Bali. Stayed in Nusa Dua, Sanur, Kuta, and Ubud. Read that Canggu/Seminyak had been taken over by instagram influencers/digital nomads so didn't bother. I think if I were to go back I'd try and get more north than Ubud or even just go across to Lombok/Gili Islands. Have some gado gado for me. 

Interesting. 

What were the negatives? 

Going with the little one who's 1.5 yrs old.

So didn't want to go off the beaten path.

Have really enjoyed Thailand in the past, so expecting a similar experience.

6 minutes ago, ICUMD said:

Interesting. 

What were the negatives? 

Going with the little one who's 1.5 yrs old.

So didn't want to go off the beaten path.

Have really enjoyed Thailand in the past, so expecting a similar experience.

A little too touristy for my taste. Crowded. Traffic was really bad and takes a long time to get anywhere. Locals who weren't working at a place of business weren't exactly friendly. Tough to get around if you didn't have your own transportation. 

Probably compare it to visiting Phuket but Hindus instead of Muslims as the local populace.

6 minutes ago, Gamecock-YT said:

A little too touristy for my taste. Crowded. Traffic was really bad and takes a long time to get anywhere. Locals who weren't working at a place of business weren't exactly friendly. Tough to get around if you didn't have your own transportation. 

Probably compare it to visiting Phuket but Hindus instead of Muslims as the local populace.

Thanks for the heads up.

Crowds and traffic can be challenging for sure.

After being to India (and experiencing near death pushing a stalled car in traffic), tolerance is good.  

North American travel is a bit too sterile for me, so looking forward to something substantially different.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

We are just back from trekking to Mera Peak (6476m) in Nepal. Despite its reputation as the highest but easiest of the “trekking peaks,” we still only got three out of our party of 12 to the top. Two dropped out on the way to base camp (5200m), and the rest made it to high camp (5900m), but a combination of cold and altitude took its toll. I considered our acclimatisation route to be very conservative, but altitude just affects everyone so differently.

I set out with my two boys and a friend’s son around 2am.  Unfortunately my oldest son turned back due to the cold (-16C) but the youngest (16 YO) made it to the top.  It was a great experience but reaffirmed that anything over 6000m is always going to be a challenge.

IMG_2881.thumb.jpeg.ceac421ca3c2c37b0fe2e394b3dbe92b.jpegIMG_2928.thumb.jpeg.bab9adc67cc8a628821a46a585beece7.jpegIMG_2876.thumb.jpeg.1f14899c76a1d33222d90388a438e40e.jpeg

Edited by nwoodman

8 hours ago, nwoodman said:

We are just back from trekking to Mera Peak (6476m) in Nepal. Despite its reputation as the highest but easiest of the “trekking peaks,” we still only got three out of our party of 12 to the top. Two dropped out on the way to base camp (5200m), and the rest made it to high camp (5900m), but a combination of cold and altitude took its toll. I considered our acclimatisation route to be very conservative, but altitude just affects everyone so differently.

I set out with my two boys and a friend’s son around 2am.  Unfortunately my oldest son turned back due to the cold (-16C) but the youngest (16 YO) made it to the top.  It was a great experience but reaffirmed that anything over 6000m is always going to be a challenge.

IMG_2881.thumb.jpeg.ceac421ca3c2c37b0fe2e394b3dbe92b.jpegIMG_2928.thumb.jpeg.bab9adc67cc8a628821a46a585beece7.jpegIMG_2876.thumb.jpeg.1f14899c76a1d33222d90388a438e40e.jpeg

hi

well done sir. 

is there a specific peak or trail you would recommend for first timers in Nepal ? Which is more than a hill but not a killer.

I have been up to +5,000 meter in Peru. Not a peak per se, but across the rainbow ridge. 

On 2/19/2024 at 5:22 AM, Luca said:

Taiwan and Japan, Asia is just amazing...

20240219_063954.jpg

20240218_142941.jpg

20240207_141810.jpg

20240208_110053.jpg

I went in 2023 to Japan, my second time after a 15 year hiatus, my first time was in 2005. I missed seeing both times Nagasaki. 

I have a thing for old Portuguese colonies. You can add Gao, Macau to that list. I did see Malacca and Penang in Malaysia. 

it is interesting how memory works. I went to see the Shogun palace in Kyoto in 2005. And I had good memories of my visit for +15 years. when I visited again in 2023 the exact same location in Kyoto, the museum of course had not changed, but I have no longer access to my 2005 memories. They are now superseded by 2023 of the same location. 

8 hours ago, nwoodman said:

Absolutely phenomenal! Congratulations. 

Your family is fit as f***!!! And brave too...can be proud of yourself!!

Edited by Luca

35 minutes ago, Xerxes said:

I went in 2023 to Japan, my second time after a 15 year hiatus, my first time was in 2005. I missed seeing both times Nagasaki. 

I have a thing for old Portuguese colonies. You can add Gao, Macau to that list. I did see Malacca and Penang in Malaysia. 

it is interesting how memory works. I went to see the Shogun palace in Kyoto in 2005. And I had good memories of my visit for +15 years. when I visited again in 2023 the exact same location in Kyoto, the museum of course had not changed, but I have no longer access to my 2005 memories. They are now superseded by 2023 of the same location. 

Great country...I miss it...

20 hours ago, Xerxes said:

is there a specific peak or trail you would recommend for first timers in Nepal ? Which is more than a hill but not a killer.

Two come to mind

1.  Everest Base Camp Trek - probably the most popular. The Khumbu Valley/Sagarmatha Nationa Park is truly stunning but busy. 

2. Annapurna Circuit - not done this one but used to be the “go to”.  Apparently not as popular now, as like a lot of Nepal, now have roads cut through to the villages.

3.  if I was to do another trek there I would be looking at potentially a base camp such as Makalu or Kanchenjungain in the East.

We really enjoyed the trekking portion of this trip because it was a little off the beaten trek.  The rural areas we passed through were stunning.  A father and son working together to build their house was particularly memorable. 

image.thumb.png.db2918c05562453276d922dc88ee8c7c.png

image.thumb.png.08442203d6ded49d18e57803ebae4113.png

Nepal is full of the friendliest and most beautiful people on the planet. You will find it hard to go wrong 👍

1 hour ago, nwoodman said:

Two come to mind

1.  Everest Base Camp Trek - probably the most popular. The Khumbu Valley/Sagarmatha Nationa Park is truly stunning but busy. 

2. Annapurna Circuit - not done this one but used to be the “go to”.  Apparently not as popular now, as like a lot of Nepal, now have roads cut through to the villages.

3.  if I was to do another trek there I would be looking at potentially a base camp such as Makalu or Kanchenjungain in the East.

We really enjoyed the trekking portion of this trip because it was a little off the beaten trek.  The rural areas we passed through were stunning.  A father and son working together to build their house was particularly memorable. 

Nepal is full of the friendliest and most beautiful people on the planet. You will find it hard to go wrong 👍

Great stuff, when will you do your first 8k? Maybe Cho Oyu? Seems to be the easiest one 😄 

13 minutes ago, Luca said:

Great stuff, when will you do your first 8k? Maybe Cho Oyu? Seems to be the easiest one 😄 

I think you are being awfully kind.  Perhaps if I had started 10 years earlier.  Agree though Cho Oyu would be the starting point.  At this stage I feel quite content gazing at the giants from a distance 😄

13 minutes ago, nwoodman said:

I think you are being awfully kind.  Perhaps if I had started 10 years earlier.  Agree though Cho Oyu would be the starting point.  At this stage I feel quite content gazing at the giants from a distance 😄

Yeah, i also think just staring at em from distance is great too and I cherish life too much too take any extra risk which you do with 8ks...himalaya 6ks are wonderful too from your pictures so...maybe some day the time for me will come too but I had some acclimatization issues on 3200m while skiing already so I think my body is not made for it sadly...at least we have your pictures!!

16 hours ago, nwoodman said:

Two come to mind

thank you so much

happy you had a great time there