China

Viking

29 minutes ago, cubsfan said:

country that runs concentration camps for Muslims

and they kill babies with “death squads”.  It’s a wonder there’s anyone left alive!

… what were we talking about again?

https://archive.ph/SYpXj#selection-4075.154-4075.162

A prominent Chinese influencer has called on his fellow citizens to invest in the country’s stocks as property woes persist, at a time when the world’s No. 2 economy is mired in a deepening crisis of confidence.

“Given low expectations for a further massive expansion in the housing market, many folks don’t know where to put their money, except for bank deposits,” Hu Xijin, former editor-in-chief of the hardline tabloid Global Times, wrote in a post on his Weibo social media account Friday. “The stock market should be a key destination for funds.” 

“It’s time for China to more seriously build the stock market as an investment venue that matches its economic weight,” Hu wrote. “Perhaps we need to rebuild the stock investment culture with the participation of the government, enterprises, investment institutions and ordinary citizens.” 

Massive money flows possible but likely starts with a trickle....

Point is China doesnt need USA or Western investors....enough domestic and middle eastern and other sovereign wealth funds to drive their markets....

6 hours ago, cubsfan said:

You can apologize for China all you like. I’m simply saying China has proven their danger to the world. They are not at all apologetic about the disastrous lab leak. They said it originated from wet markets, and stymied all efforts to identify the true origin. China is definitely a world power and a dangerous one at that. Uncontrollable biological weapons tells you what you need to know.

Make all the excuses you like for them.

This is what you wrote. I understood you meant china has been using covid as an uncontrollable biological weapon? Weapons are used against enemies, in this case I assumed the West. 

Generally, you don't use a biological weapon in your own country. It is always advisable to do away with complicated conspiracy theories when mere incompetence suffices to explain the facts at hand reasonably well.

Edited by Spekulatius

4 hours ago, Viking said:

@Luca  Have you watched the video below? The liberal democracies of the West and the CCP are completely different animals. When i watch this video it makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up. It provides a great real life  example of how the CCP operates - basically it does whatever it needs to do to stay in power… WITH ZERO CHECKS AND BALANCES. Yes, all liberal democracies are flawed. But the CCP is a frightening form of government (putting it politely).

Thanks a lot for the send @Viking! Is a very good watch, the CCP is brutal, regulations with no questions asked. Their legal system has many errors too, recently watched something about the kids who were born as second child when the one child policy was still intact. They have no passport, can't leave the country, the court doesn't do anything. The local governments don't do anything either and are in some cases even corrupt, collect high fines although the legal situation already changed. They, too, have many problems and can be evil too. 

Edited by Luca
Edit second child

On 7/7/2023 at 1:11 PM, Luca said:

This is what you wrote. I understood you meant china has been using covid as an uncontrollable biological weapon? Weapons are used against enemies, in this case I assumed the West. 

The fools did not have control of their own biological weapons. Why is the Chinese Red Army messing with this stuff anyway?

On 7/7/2023 at 1:17 PM, Spekulatius said:

Generally, you don't use a biological weapon in your own country. It is always advisable to do away with complicated conspiracy theories when mere incompetence suffices to explain the facts at hand reasonably well.

+1!  Cheers!

5 hours ago, Ulti said:

excellent podcast 

Agreed - just managed to listen to it. It's interesting to look at the differences and similarities of japan 1990 vs China 2023. i did not know that Japan had better demographics in 1990 than China does now. The population in japan started to declined in 2009 and China has to deal with this issue right now. Construction sector in China is 36% of GDP vs ~20% in Japan at the peak in the late 1980's. Seems like the leaders in China are keenly aware of the problem unlike Japan in 1990.

Anyways, worth listening too.

4 minutes ago, Spekulatius said:

Agreed - just managed to listen to it. It's interesting to look at the differences and similarities of japan 1990 vs China 2023. i did not know that Japan had better demographics in 1990 than China does now. The population in japan started to declined in 2009 and China has to deal with this issue right now. Construction sector in China is 36% of GDP vs ~20% in Japan at the peak in the late 1980's. Seems like the leaders in China are keenly aware of the problem unlike Japan in 1990.

Anyways, worth listening too.

I took away a few things ( maybe misinterpreted)

deglobalization combined with regional debt and a move to a service economy is going to kick Chinas ass for several years.

best thing the federal government of China can do is to continue their infrastructure buildout… … Owning Rio

their opinion:

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/rio-tinto-says-china-economy-040203828.html

2 hours ago, Spekulatius said:

WSJ story on EV’s and  foreign car makers (which have been losing market share rapidly)

https://www.wsj.com/articles/rise-of-chinas-ev-makers-puts-end-to-wests-local-dominance-775d0811?mod=business_major_pos7

The Illusion of "free market capitalism" is bursting. Every system, both US/West and China have had state capitalism all along, industries like TSMC or Airplane manufacturing only exist due to state backing. China of course with a tighter grip, US due to monopoly position of course in a looser grip, preaching IP protection and the state doing the minimum. Well, China can do it too and successfuly, now "adhering to the free market" becomes important for the industries to be disrupted. Exciting times.

Edited by Luca

11 minutes ago, Luca said:

US capital definitely behind the slandering of China, pushing the media both domestic but also in europe to publish more and more "china danger" articles. 

https://youtu.be/DjjND_ky6t4

That has got to be the dumbest political analysis I’ve ever heard. What an old fool Chomsky is…

He asks the question “Why would China be a threat?” - then runs his mouth about a litany of bullshit - totally avoiding ANY mention of a Taiwan invasion or the COVID coverup/disaster.

Yet , then he even goes onto accuse Israel of actively poisoning 1M Palestinian children.

The guy is a total loon that refuses to even talk about the truth.

On 7/11/2023 at 6:59 AM, cubsfan said:

That has got to be the dumbest political analysis I’ve ever heard. What an old fool Chomsky is…

He asks the question “Why would China be a threat?” - then runs his mouth about a litany of bullshit - totally avoiding ANY mention of a Taiwan invasion or the COVID coverup/disaster.

Yet , then he even goes onto accuse Israel of actively poisoning 1M Palestinian children.

China has been threatening Taiwan for 70 years, and will never do anything because shutting down the South China Sea would be the CCP committing suicide.

^^^ Very true - Russia committed Suicide, Iraq did with Kuwait.  

There are lots of good logical reasons NOT to do something - until you have an unpredictable leader pitted against weakness.

It’s been happening for ages.

Edited by cubsfan

On 7/11/2023 at 3:59 PM, cubsfan said:

You can say all you want about Chomsky but id say that his opinion is worth listening to for someone who has teached at MIT for fifty years and observed politics since 70 years+. 

We discussed the Covid disaster already, that was not on purpose at all. China probably fucked up, but it was not used as a threat. China is very dependent on Taiwan too, the conflict with Taiwan is an actual international law conflict, the US doesn't even deny the One China policy. 

He then talks about the US government heavily interfering with politics in other countries, where they are at least partly responsible for the death of many but yes, the threat is all on China...

Insult him, doesn't make your opinion any better. 

Edited by Luca

12 minutes ago, Luca said:

You can say all you want about Chomsky but id say that his opinion is worth listening to for someone who has teached at MIT for fifty years and observed politics since 70 years+. 

We discussed the Covid disaster already, that was not on purpose at all. China probably fucked up, but it was not used as a threat. China is very dependent on Taiwan too, the conflict with Taiwan is an actual international law conflict, the US doesn't even deny the One China policy. 

He then talks about the US government heavily interfering with politics in other countries, where they are at least partly responsible for the death of many but yes, the threat is all on China...

Insult him, doesn't make your opinion any better. 

All anyone has to do is listen to the clip. His academic credentials mean nothing to me after viewing the full clip. I know absolutely nothing about the guy. There are thousands of academics have not one ounce of commons sense. Don't take the insult personally - they are his own words.

Naseem Taleb wrote a wonderful article long ago "Intellectual, yet idiot"

Try reading it.

14 minutes ago, cubsfan said:

All anyone has to do is listen to the clip. His academic credentials mean nothing to me after viewing the full clip. I know absolutely nothing about the guy. There are thousands of academics have not one ounce of commons sense. Don't take the insult personally - they are his own words.

Naseem Taleb wrote a wonderful article long ago "Intellectual, yet idiot"

Try reading it.

What is the problem with what he said? What did he say that makes him an "Idiot"? 

Academic credentials do matter to me:

Recent research on citations in three different citation indices show that Professor Chomsky is one of the most cited individuals in works published in the past 20 years.

In fact, his 3,874 citations in the Arts and Humanities Citation Index between 1980 and 1992 make him the most cited living person in that period and the eighth most cited source overrall--just behind famed psychiatrist Sigmund Freud and just ahead of philosopher Georg Hegel.

From 1972 to 1992, Professor Chomsky was cited 7,449 times in the Social Science Citation Index-likely the greatest number of times for a living person there as well, although the research into those numbers isn't complete. In addition, from 1974 to 1992 he was cited 1,619 times in the Science Citation Index.

"What it means is that he is very widely read across disciplines and that his work is used by researchers across disciplines," said Theresa A. Tobin, the Humanities Librarian who checked the numbers.

Calling him an idiot while claiming "I know absolutely nothing about the guy" doesn't look very promising to me. He wrote so many great books, manufacturing consent, hegemony or survival etc

Edited by Luca