Ape virus

Ronchong

2 hours ago, Lazarus said:

I don't mean to pick on you Parsad, but this is a joke. Canadian hospitals were already overwhelmed before Covid - patients in hospital beds in the hallways has been a regular sight for 20 years. We went into debt a trillion dollars due to Covid, with CERB et al., but we didn't increase hospital capacity at all. Perhaps the first shutdown was needed to give time to react, but after that we should have focussed on creating space in the system for patients. For a trillion dollars, we could have built dozens of mega hospitals, huge wings of ICU care, and completely modernized the medical system. Instead, we paid people to stay home and crushed small business. 

It was bad policy, but governments focus on re-election and no politician wanted an image of a covid patient being turned away and sent home to die because that would kill their hopes for re-election.

After the pandemic started, overloaded Canadian hospitals were inundated with patients.  I know, because my family lost 7 people to Covid in 2 years...and almost 2 more!  I saw how the hospitals were getting hammered and that was with social distancing, closures, masking and vaccinations.  Most hospitals operated at a triage level for 12 months with nurses working double-shifts! 

I can't imagine what it would have been like without closures and distancing.  There were some half million surgeries delayed due to Covid...can you imagine how many would have been delayed or cancelled if the system was flooded only with Covid patients?!   

Cheers!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Castanza said:

Did you not see all those kids and young healthy adults under 40 flooding the system? 

A message to everyone. Not very PC but the truth. STOP BEING FAT. 30% of covid hospitalization were because of obesity. Add in comorbidities due to oversight and it goes wayyy up. 

We all had to put our lives on hold and care about these peoples health more than they do on a daily basis. Then instead of pivoting once we identified the vulnerable groups, we doubled down and paid them to stay home and become even more unhealthy. 

Sure.  We should have asked seniors to stop aging as well, since 80% of deaths were seniors over 65.  Actually, maybe the CDC should have warned everyone about a pandemic before it happened and then nothing would have been closed, since 50% of the population would have gone on a diet and exercise program before the pandemic arrived. 

Cheers!

4 minutes ago, Parsad said:

Sure.  We should have asked seniors to stop aging as well, since 80% of deaths were seniors over 65.  Actually, maybe the CDC should have warned everyone about a pandemic before it happened and then nothing would have been closed, since 50% of the population would have gone on a diet and exercise program before the pandemic arrived. 

Cheers!

No but I think it would have been reasonable to pivot who needs to be protected. Could have easily isolated old individuals and that would have taken care of the majority of the high risk folks. Would have cost society far less or at least been more efficient. 

we can agree to disagree not worries 😀

10 hours ago, Parsad said:

After the pandemic started, overloaded Canadian hospitals were inundated with patients.  I know, because my family lost 7 people to Covid in 2 years...and almost 2 more!  I saw how the hospitals were getting hammered and that was with social distancing, closures, masking and vaccinations.  Most hospitals operated at a triage level for 12 months with nurses working double-shifts! 

I can't imagine what it would have been like without closures and distancing.  There were some half million surgeries delayed due to Covid...can you imagine how many would have been delayed or cancelled if the system was flooded only with Covid patients?!   

Cheers!

What people also forget is that treatment at the start was subpar. I recall in April when my wife had a wave of COVID-19 patience coming to dialysis and they blood clogged up the machines. Nobody knew what to do and only later the doctors found the way to deal with this using steroids and blood thinners. of this first wave, the mortality was pretty high.

We are now in good shape because we have vaccines, anti virals, antibodies and the treatment protocols are well established. My take from this is that you don't want to be the amongst the first  patients in a pandemic.

From what I have seen - fairly little seems to be known about Monkey Pox> we are not even certain if asymptotic patients can transmit it.

I probably have some immunity from it due to having the Pox vaccination (and so has my wife) but as long as we don't know we should be cautious and prepare for eventualities, because we do know that an epidemic has huge right tail risk.

This does not sounds like a big deal - 2.8k cases and no death. It also does not seem like simple touch may transmit the virus that easily- otherwise we would have seen more cases in the general populace. Monkeypox does look mainly like a STD disease to me.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/monkeypox-outbreak-uk-may-peaking-health-officials-say-rcna41803

It could still develop into something, but chances are that it won’t get transmittted in schools.