Suez Canal Blocked

alpha

Eeek, that's going to cost somebody a lot of Marlboros.

The 1st boat I ever ran was a Tidewater anchor vessel (the Gulf Fleet 46) working for Gupco out of Ras Shukheir, south of the Gulf of Suez. Made a few passages through the canal and it was always a significant hassle in comparison to the Panama Canal. If Suez had locks, I doubt any traffic would get ever through.

There was a constant parade of port officials looking for "gifts", and anything that wasn't stowed away in deck lockers was fair game for line handlers.

The winds, south of the canal, blow like hell predominantly from the NNW all summer long due to funneling through the terrain from high pressure in the Mediterranean to a semi permanent low in the Red Sea. The direction rarely varied and if the winds ever swapped from the south, get ready for a blow. Winters were completely calm.

I've seen sunny days that I thought would never end.

Me__My_Mullet.thumb.jpeg.9d2ce19a261e52dce890475b1a4c9b5a.jpeg

Sounds like they have called in salvage experts from SMIT who aren't expected to arrive until Thursday morning now. I am surprised they weren't called within 5 minutes of the grounding given the importance of the waterway, amazing!

The 1st boat I ever ran was a Tidewater anchor vessel (the Gulf Fleet 46) working for Gupco out of Ras Shukheir, south of the Gulf of Suez. Made a few passages through the canal and it was always a significant hassle in comparison to the Panama Canal. If Suez had locks, I doubt any traffic would get ever through.

There was a constant parade of port officials looking for "gifts", and anything that wasn't stowed away in deck lockers was fair game for line handlers.

The winds, south of the canal, blow like hell predominantly from the NNW all summer long due to funneling through the terrain from high pressure in the Mediterranean to a semi permanent low in the Red Sea. The direction rarely varied and if the winds ever swapped from the south, get ready for a blow. Winters were completely calm.

The picture you attached to your post made my laugh like hell. Nice lid :-)

If you think that's funny, you should see what it looks like now.

:P

I been loving the memes/tweets  from @ParikPatelCFA on Twitter.

I been loving the memes/tweets  from @ParikPatelCFA on Twitter.

He's hilarious!