I have seen the future of grocery stores

DTEJD1997

The new thing here is having a bar inside the grocery store with a rotating selection of local craft brews. Very inexpensive, $3 high gravity beer, $6 glasses of wine. With daily specials taking the beer down to $2 a few times a week and the wine to $3.

I'm sorry, I don't mean to be insulting. But if you think those prices are inexpensive you're delusional. I can walk into my liqueur store and buy high quality German beer for $2.10 (tall boys 500 ml). For $30 ($6 a glass) I can buy a good Burgundy. For $18-$24 I can buy a very good bottle of Cotes du Rhone. The quality of these wines are very likely much, much higher than what you get in your grocery store glass. These are regular price btw, no sales. I live in Canada where alcohol is expensive due to taxes. I'm sure the prices are lower in the US for these items.

I should mention that I am someone who has plenty of money. I consider the prices you've listed as very high and would not pay. The idea that an average person would consider that very inexpensive is incorrect to say the least.

Liquor store is the same as a bar in Canada?

Grocery store is the same as a bar in the US?

https://www.charlotteagenda.com/41470/theres-a-killer-little-bar-in-harris-teeter-really/

as someone who has plenty of money, you would have a ball here. I guess you could finish up with the $12 cocktails we have in town afterwards, no doubt you can get them much cheaper and better quality in Canada at the liquor store bar.

• 2 months later...

The new thing here is having a bar inside the grocery store with a rotating selection of local craft brews. Very inexpensive, $3 high gravity beer, $6 glasses of wine. With daily specials taking the beer down to $2 a few times a week and the wine to $3.

I'm sorry, I don't mean to be insulting. But if you think those prices are inexpensive you're delusional. I can walk into my liqueur store and buy high quality German beer for $2.10 (tall boys 500 ml). For $30 ($6 a glass) I can buy a good Burgundy. For $18-$24 I can buy a very good bottle of Cotes du Rhone. The quality of these wines are very likely much, much higher than what you get in your grocery store glass. These are regular price btw, no sales. I live in Canada where alcohol is expensive due to taxes. I'm sure the prices are lower in the US for these items.

I should mention that I am someone who has plenty of money. I consider the prices you've listed as very high and would not pay. The idea that an average person would consider that very inexpensive is incorrect to say the least.

https://www.charlotteagenda.com/41470/theres-a-killer-little-bar-in-harris-teeter-really/

as someone who has plenty of money, you would have a ball here. I guess you could finish up with the $12 cocktails we have in town afterwards, no doubt you can get them much cheaper and better quality in Canada at the liquor store bar.

There is no liquor store bar in Canada..not sure why you guys are willfully misunderstanding each other but OK.

Typical prices in Canadian bars are: $6-$8 per beer...maybe as cheap as $4 in Montreal or if you go to the right college bar. But $3 for beer, AT A BAR, is very cheap. But the real question is whether you are really getting a "Bar" inside a grocery store...typically people get drunk at bars, party, dance and socialize. The grocery store might not be conducive to that and so maybe it makes sense that its cheaper since its not really achieving the same effect as a bar.

There is no liquor store bar in Canada..not sure why you guys are willfully misunderstanding each other but OK.

Typical prices in Canadian bars are: $6-$8 per beer...maybe as cheap as $4 in Montreal or if you go to the right college bar. But $3 for beer, AT A BAR, is very cheap. But the real question is whether you are really getting a "Bar" inside a grocery store...typically people get drunk at bars, party, dance and socialize. The grocery store might not be conducive to that and so maybe it makes sense that its cheaper since its not really achieving the same effect as a bar.

because he was trying to be insulting/difficult. I've visited the country a few times to know they were talking out of their ass, just needed to give him enough rope.  Not one of my strong points, but alas...

Hey all:

There is an abandoned K-Mart near me that is being reworked in an "ultra-mega Kroger".  This will be one of the Kroger's with 50+ aisles in it.

There is a Kroger about 1.5 miles from where the new one will be going in.  It is older & has no where near 50+ aisles of food...so it will be closing once the new one opens.

This new one will be in a better, more central location.  Obviously it will be MUCH bigger than the one it is replacing.

On a side note, I've been to some of the "bars" inside the grocery stores in N.C.  They mainly sell/promote craft beer.  You can drink beer right there, but they also sell "grumblers" which you can take home & drink.  The liquor/beer sales are usually right next to the prepared foods section(s).  They really push the craft beer sales.  I suspect that the margins on that beer is very high.

I think you can also start drinking BEFORE you start shopping.  OR you can drink before you shop for food AND after you get done.  I wonder if people who have had a drink or three are more likely to make "impulse" purchases of food while walking down the aisles?

Hey all:

There is an abandoned K-Mart near me that is being reworked in an "ultra-mega Kroger".  This will be one of the Kroger's with 50+ aisles in it.

There is a Kroger about 1.5 miles from where the new one will be going in.  It is older & has no where near 50+ aisles of food...so it will be closing once the new one opens.

This new one will be in a better, more central location.  Obviously it will be MUCH bigger than the one it is replacing.

On a side note, I've been to some of the "bars" inside the grocery stores in N.C.  They mainly sell/promote craft beer.  You can drink beer right there, but they also sell "grumblers" which you can take home & drink.  The liquor/beer sales are usually right next to the prepared foods section(s).  They really push the craft beer sales.  I suspect that the margins on that beer is very high.

I think you can also start drinking BEFORE you start shopping.  OR you can drink before you shop for food AND after you get done.  I wonder if people who have had a drink or three are more likely to make "impulse" purchases of food while walking down the aisles?

In March 2017 I was in a Whole Foods near Destin, FL and saw one of those bars in there. The first time I had seen that. They also had a wall with spigots for about 50 beers that you could buy in one of those growlers.

Both, small format discount stores and larger grocery superstores can coexist (they do so in Germany where Aldi and Lidl started and are the most established),as they serve different purposes.

Grocery superstores is where you go for larger shopping tips. I have been to some in Germany and it is fun get the choice of 20 different kinds of ham (Schinken) from France, Spain, Germany, Italy etc. You get specialty beers there, some of them have a bar. It’s fun to go there when you have some time and purchase a larger amount of groceries and prefer some choices

The small format discounter (Aldi, Lidl) where you go for everyday necessities. They are cheap, quick and quality is decent to good. Both can coexist without issue, but I the in the middle that will get squeezed.

I think growler must mean something different in the US than it does here!

In US https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Growler_(jug)

Now you have to tell me what it means elsewhere!

A female organ that is part of the reproductive system. Hint: It's not a uterus.

I have neighbors who are always going to get growlers at a local brew pub. They will now wonder why I start laughing every time they say they are going to pick up a growler!

Nice timing of this thread getting bumped and another article about the grocery store bar being published:

https://www.charlotteagenda.com/118667/get-lobster-dinner-south-end-less-cost-one-charlotte-cocktail/

Have to scroll past the lobster bit, but 3/4s of the way down the page it talks about the bar:

On a Thursday night at 6 p.m., every seat at the bar was taken. While it ebbed and flowed over the 45 minutes I was there, it never died down completely – and customers ranged in age from mid-twenties to late-fifties.

In one corner, a group of twenty-somethings pushed two tables together for a round of drinks and got excited when, to their surprise, another friend turned the corner. At the bar, another couple was catching up with a friend.

None of them were there to pick up groceries.

“It’s a destination,” said Gina, the manager who has been described by readers as the ‘family manager’ that watches over her customers lovingly.

She went on to say that there really isn’t a night her bar isn’t full; she’s got regulars, she’s seen date nights and she’s even seen couples tag team – one snags a seat while the other snags the groceries.

beers-at-harris-teeter-draught-south-end-charlotte.jpg

But, she said, it’s more about the experience. Just like its Myers Park counterpart, the bar has taken on a life of its own with nightly specials like 1/2-price glasses on Monday, $3 local drafts on Wednesday and $4 mimosas on Sunday.

“It’s a destination. South End, before we opened, didn’t really have a place for community. It had Mac’s, but that isn’t the same. Now, people come to have a drink, hang out.”

Saturdays are even dedicated to the idea, with scheduled community bonding time that includes $4 mimosas, beermosas and an omelet bar.

Despite being a first-timer, her sheer presence made me feel at ease and, frankly, like I wasn’t in a grocery store at all.

True to form, as I turned to leave, she stopped me and said: “Welcome to the family.”