Stock Pick For 2018

AzCactus

Syncora (SYCRF)

former muni insurer who is sitting on the pinks for 10 years.  Still governed by NY State but they have a few catalysts that should clean up the balance sheet and the liquidity mismatch.  I've said this for 2 years however but it feels closer than ever and mgmt seems willing to talk to the marketplace.

For 2018 stocks I like are: BAM & PVF, BACWSA, POEFF, UBNT

I'm also holding: AAPL, AMZN, MIDD, OSTK, BRKB, SYTE, PRDGF, WFCF, MKL, TSLA

For crypto I think ETH, XMR,and Tezos will outperform BTC, LTC, & XRP.

I'm holding (in order of $ worth) ETH (40%), BTC (23%), XMR (22%), DASH (7.5%), BCH (3.8%), NEO (3.5%), PLBT (0.14%), OMG (0.06%), GAS (0.06%), Tezos (not trading yet).

Need to do more research on ADA, IOT, XLM and others.

GXE and other cheap oil stocks. Set to outperform at current prices and to do extremely well with higher prices.

That's what I thought about 2017...

Not me. Divergence between stocks, fundamentals and oil prices has become much higher. But I have been long GXE for some time now as well. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm finding value in small/micro cap commodity/energy stocks.

Two that trade below 2x FTM EV/EBITDA are GCM.TO and ASND.TO. The former being a gold company in Colombia and the latter being zinc in Honduras. Both are growing and will be free cash flow positive next year at current commodity prices.

On the energy side, PPR.TO, trades at closer to 4x EV/EBITDA but have giant catalysts worth potentially more than the EV of the company in a NAFTA lawsuit (that has already had its arbitration hearing) and legalization of Quebec Shale development where they have huge acreage but have booked zero reserves.

Perhaps a third each for one 2018 pick!

ASND.TO just put out 2018 guidance this morning. The company has a market cap of US$45m and their guidance is EBITDA of US$32-40m and FCF of US$14-20m. I’m not sure what the right multiple is but it seems too low right now or even up 50% from here.

https://web.tmxmoney.com/article.php?newsid=6899444052652449&qm_symbol=ASND

• 2 months later...

I'm finding value in small/micro cap commodity/energy stocks.

Two that trade below 2x FTM EV/EBITDA are GCM.TO and ASND.TO. The former being a gold company in Colombia and the latter being zinc in Honduras. Both are growing and will be free cash flow positive next year at current commodity prices.

On the energy side, PPR.TO, trades at closer to 4x EV/EBITDA but have giant catalysts worth potentially more than the EV of the company in a NAFTA lawsuit (that has already had its arbitration hearing) and legalization of Quebec Shale development where they have huge acreage but have booked zero reserves.

Perhaps a third each for one 2018 pick!

Checking in on this combo pick for 2018, at the end of Q1, they are up an average of 20.51% since posting. I wish I had only owned these names personally for Q1 as I am about flat YTD.

I still like them all but took some profits on ASND between $1.10-1.20 but have recently bought some back below $1. It still trades at less than 2x EBITDA.

PPR is particularly interesting as it’s basically flat and is 3 months closer to resolution of its arbitration vs the Canadian government which could be worth US$1/share vs the current share price around US$0.33. Management indicated in its AIF, filed late last week, that they expect a ruling in 2018.

It’s also 3 months closer to Quebec coming up with its regulations on hydrocarbon development in the province. PPR’s closest peer in terms of acreage in QC is Questerre which enjoys a market cap 8x as big while having similar exposure and less cash flow and reserves from producing assets.