Whitney Tilson is shutting down his hedge fund

Liberty

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If you have balls, you would go out there and beat his record first.  Then I will pay up. I'll give you as many years it takes.

I'm a patient guy:)

Do you have the contract? Like Jurgis said, let's do escrow. I'll gladly pay the $50,000 to set up a fund and see if I can outperform Tilson for $1 million.

If you have balls, you would go out there and beat his record first.  Then I will pay up. I'll give you as many years it takes.

I'm a patient guy:)

Right. Empty promises from anonymous guy on the Internetz.

You should work on your selling grasshopper.

Maybe read more Whitney Tilson manual.

All talk and no action.  My lawyer is waiting for the contract.  Don't worry my short position will pay for the prize.

You've already notified your lawyer in 2 mins? Does this guy just wait by the phone for your calls???

He knows all my businesses.  I spoke while I typed.

Your "attorney" didn't advise you that it would be pretty silly to wager $1 million on a situation that doesn't pay you anything if you win? Might want to get a different attorney.  ;D ;D

Tilson's cumulative return is ~8.4% annual. Let's call it 8.5%. So you deposit $1M into escrow. A contender sets up $50K account in which they invest as they like. If they outperform 8.5% annual in 5 years, the $1M is paid out to that person. Agreements/etc. are all public.

Sounds right?

And this is open to anyone on CoBF who contacts you with a contract. Well, maybe to first 10 comers just in case there's too much interest.

This is my last post.  If I don't see the contract in 2 months, I know what type of people I'm dealing with.

Have fun everyone and please be safe out there.

First, why would you even take this bet? The only positive outcome for you is if one (or both) of us start a fund and fail. That's it. You get to say "told you so, loser!"

If we win (a pretty good likelihood given how uninspiring Tilson's returns have been) you're out of a $1 million. This leads me to two possible conclusions: you either have an insane amount of money where you can spend $1 million for fun and it literally doesn't impact you at all or 2) you don't fully understand risk and payoffs.

Tilson's cumulative return is ~8.4% annual. Let's call it 8.5%. So you deposit $1M into escrow. A contender sets up $50K account in which they invest as they like. If they outperform 8.5% annual in 5 years, the $1M is paid out to that person. Agreements/etc. are all public.

Sounds right?

And this is open to anyone on CoBF who contacts you with a contract. Well, maybe to first 10 comers just in case there's too much interest.

I want to make sure we are talking US Dollar not any dollar or any bucks ;)

Eh Ill take the other side and say its actually quite easy. I know because Ive done it. By my mid-late 20's I was able to grow from pretty much scratch an investment management business into a low 8 figure AUM. At that point I was able to effectively monetize it in a manner which let me live life the way I wanted to. I really could care less about accumulating money beyond a certain point. But the reason its easy is because the key ingredients are simple. You can work hard to organically acquire AUM, or you can buy it. From there, its networking, and selling either 1) "supposed" strategies, 2) gross returns. This is done by leveraging 1) your access(a key for Tilson whom was boys with Ackman and Einhorn) or 2) your proprietary "research".

It really is a pretty simple formula and I've seen plenty of others do it as well. Another dirty secret, is...its even easier if you just sell people what they want to hear anyway and will say anything to get a deal done. Its not hard to make money without ethics or morals. My opinion of Tilson is he's just a leech or a coattail rider. His fund was also basically just a mini Pershing.

This is my last post.  If I don't see the contract in 2 months, I know what type of people I'm dealing with.

First, why would you even take this bet? The only positive outcome for you is if one (or both) of us start a fund and fail. That's it. You get to say "told you so, loser!"

If we win (a pretty good likelihood given how uninspiring Tilson's returns have been) you're out of a $1 million. This leads me to two possible conclusions: you either have an insane amount of money where you can spend $1 million for fun and it literally doesn't impact you at all or 2) you don't fully understand risk and payoffs.

The anti-Pabrai:  Heads I don't win, tails I lose a lot.

Guess we know Tilson's alt on here... gambling away the Agora advance..

What if we already beat Tilson's numbers?  Can I get $1m for doing more than 8.5% a year over the same period? 

Whitney er...jeffsreng..shoot me a DM and I can give you my address on where to send the check.  Thanks!!

I will bet you $1 million this is not your last post.

I'm not a big fan of the American obsession with this notion either.  In fact I think it's unfortunate. 

But, although I'm American, I'm also what people call a third culture kid, so I don't think my views are representative of the general population here.

It's an unfortunate view, but it's somewhat supported by data in America.

While most of the world pulls teachers/professors from the upper quintiles of students, teachers in America tend to be more representative of the lower quintiles. That doesn't mean there aren't good teachers, or smart teachers, but that they are vastly outnumbered.

Wow, that is an "interesting" claim, can you elaborate on why this is so? and how you know it to be so?

I dare you to open your own fund or business. It is not easy.  I triple dare you.  I'll give you a million buck if you

can out perform him.

It's not hard to beat his record. Throw it into an index fund...or almost any mutual fund. It is quite hard to have returns as bad as Tilson's.

+1 haha, the average dart throwing monkey will beat the average fund manager