What have you been drinking lately?

Ross812

All the macro discussion is making me want to pour a drink. I've been using my latest vice as my profile pick for years and a bunch of people have messaged me about it. Right now I'm enjoying a Weller Antique with a couple ice cubes. Delicious. Does anyone have any recommendations? Anyone into cocktails?

Cheers,

Ross

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Craft beers in the stout/porter variety are my preferred type--Mt Carmel Coffee Brown Ale is probably my favorite. I enjoy fancy cocktails at nicer bars/restaurants but my bartending skills suck. If I am making myself a drink my go-to is a Manhattan. Delicious and even I can handle three ingredients.

Try a Manhattan with 1/4 oz St Germain, 1/2 oz vermouth, 2 oz bourbon. In fact you can switch that St Germain for all kinds of liquors. Most fancy cocktails are just variations on the classics!

Craft beers in the stout/porter variety are my preferred type--Mt Carmel Coffee Brown Ale is probably my favorite. I enjoy fancy cocktails at nicer bars/restaurants but my bartending skills suck. If I am making myself a drink my go-to is a Manhattan. Delicious and even I can handle three ingredients.

90% of the time I drink porters and stouts. I have never tried Mt Carmel Coffee Brown Ale. I'll have to see if I can find it.

Pretty big craft beer fan/drinker here. Big IPA fan, but switch it up a lot. I'm lucky to live in Vermont, which is the home to several of the best breweries in the world (Hill Farmstead, Lawsons, The Alchemist and tons of others).

I brew beer on occasion (with varying success), but tough to find time now with 2 kids.

Pretty big craft beer fan/drinker here. Big IPA fan, but switch it up a lot. I'm lucky to live in Vermont, which is the home to several of the best breweries in the world (Hill Farmstead, Lawsons, The Alchemist and tons of others).

I brew beer on occasion (with varying success), but tough to find time now with 2 kids.

I don't like IPAs, not a fan of hops.

I also used to brew beer, which similarly ended when my daughter was born. She is 27 now!

I used to be like that for a long time, but eventually figured out that I just wasn't drinking very good IPAs. Like most types of beer, there is a wide range in IPA quality. I've come to love hops, but IPAs (and Double IPAs) that are brewed well, don't contain the same bitter taste people often associate with IPAs.

As I've gotten older (almost 40), I spend more $ on better beer. While there are of course plenty of overpriced beers (as well as great beers you can get for low prices), you often do get what you pay for.

BeerAdvocate is a great resource for discovering new beers. It's a community of thousands of people - not just the opinion of a couple people (like some other beer sites). Haven't had a bad beer anywhere near the top of their rankings: http://www.beeradvocate.com/lists/top/

Also, This article is good - The best brewery in every state:

http://www.thrillist.com/drink/nation/the-best-craft-brewery-in-every-state-in-america

Usually these types of articles are pretty bad, but these guys really did their research. List is pretty spot on for all the states I'm familiar with.

I used to be like that for a long time, but eventually figured out that I just wasn't drinking very good IPAs. Like most types of beer, there is a wide range in IPA quality. I've come to love hops, but IPAs (and Double IPAs) that are brewed well, don't contain the same bitter taste people often associate with IPAs.

As I've gotten older (almost 40), I spend more $ on better beer. While there are of course plenty of overpriced beers (as well as great beers you can get for low prices), you often do get what you pay for.

BeerAdvocate is a great resource for discovering new beers. It's a community of thousands of people - not just the opinion of a couple people (like some other beer sites). Haven't had a bad beer anywhere near the top of their rankings: http://www.beeradvocate.com/lists/top/

Also, This article is good - The best brewery in every state:

http://www.thrillist.com/drink/nation/the-best-craft-brewery-in-every-state-in-america

Usually these types of articles are pretty bad, but these guys really did their research. List is pretty spot on for all the states I'm familiar with.

I always check beer advocate before I try something new. I have tried what I know are top-rated IPAs, such as Bell's Two Hearted Ale. I just don't like them.

Usually beer, but this recipe for margaritas is spot on:

1/3 tequila (silver from Costco works well, don't notice any improvement with more expensive ones)

1/3 triple sec (I've taste tested with Cointreau and Patron orange - couldn't tell the difference)

1/3 fresh squeezed lime juice

ice in the shaker and pour into martini glass

Sometimes it comes out a little tart. I have substituted half fresh squeezed OJ for half the lime juice once in a while. I have also added simple syrup, but most of the time tart is fine with me.

Do you not use margarita mix bskptkl? The marg I made the other day was:

3 parts Margaritaville mix

1 part tequila

1 part triple sec

1/2 part lime juice

splash of OJ

and it was delicious. I think lime juice/OJ are the keys, lots of people don't use them at all or don't use enough (e.g. 1 lime slice per drink is not nearly enough for the lime juice).

boilermaker75,

Unfortunately I highly doubt Mt Carmel gets much distribution outside of Cincinnati. Their brewery is a converted farmhouse so pretty tiny; they have 2-3 medium-sized vats if I remember correctly.

Ross, great to see that I'm not the only one who likes Bidvest Group here. I'm always surprised that this company is not the subject of more discussions here since it has a business model that fit well with Berkshire and has a terrific track record.

Wine for me. I prefer the Château Le Puy, wich sell at a reasonable price and can last for decades...even in the poor vintages! The 2009 vintage wich is available is a great vintage that will last more than 40 years IMO. A great quality for a good price. For the value guys who want to pay cheap, Bordeaux Sirius 2011 is a good choice too and for sparkling wines, Segura Viudas from Spain is a good value.

Cheers!