Beach Reading

NormR

Take a Kindle (with satellite link if there's no other Internetz in the cottage)

I'm such a Luddite that I don't have one.  Might you suggest a model?

Sorry, this was a bit tongue in cheek. :) I am paper-book-luddite too. I usually lug books with me on airplane and swear at the weight. :)

From my limited experience, don't buy Kindle just before you go somewhere. You might hate it and then be stuck with it and with no paper books. Try it beforehand, preferably borrow from a friend.

In regards to actual model, I think it's personal. There are Kindle apps on tablets, so some people just use iPad or whatever Android tablet. There are actual e-ink black-and-white Kindles, then there are color-lcd Amazon tablets they call Kindles. What you will like will depend a lot on where you read (inside or on beach), how long you want the power to last (e-ink is much longer), will you want to do other things like Internet on the same device (e-ink Kindles do not work well with that).

Other people might have their suggestions.

Take care. :)

Take a Kindle (with satellite link if there's no other Internetz in the cottage)

I'm such a Luddite that I don't have one.  Might you suggest a model?

I think the paperwhite is probably the way to go for price/value.  I just upgraded to the voyager, and while it is better, I'm not sure it warrants the increase in price.

I asked for a suggestion from an owner of a Rare Books store and he suggested The Engineer of Human Souls by Josef Skovorecky. I have enjoyed it partly because it is not my usual choice. It is the author's story of growing up as a young man in Czechoslovakia first under the Nazis then the Communists and then becoming an English Professor in Toronto after 1968. He loves Canada then slowly starts to see similarities to what happened to his country to what is happening here.

Took The Davis Dynasty to the beach with me this past week. Read maybe 5-10 pages at most. Spent the rest of the time digging in the sand or swimming with the little ones. A huge change from years ago when is read at least one of not two books at the beach. That said its a fun change. I'm sure someday when I'm old and gray I'll be back to reading on the beach...

I will second The Martian. Couldn't stop reading that book. Was up to 2am reading nightly until I finished.

I read two Navy Seal memoirs over the winter.  Couldn't put either one down.  Easy reading:

Lone Survivor: Marcus Luttrell

Seal Team Six: Howard Wasdin

About a year ago I read Nate Silver's, The Signal and the Noise.  I would also highly recommend it. 

Romance: The Other Man - Contemporary Romance (Chasing Love Series Book 1 - by Nancy Adams

Totally kidding about the romance novel.

Here are a few recommendations:

Conspiracy of Fools by Kurt Eichewald  (Munger's recommendation and I could not put it down)

Boomerang by Michael Lewis

The First Tycoon, Cornelius Vanderbuilt by TJ Stiles

I recommend this blog: http://www.ndir.com

assuming internet access. 

I read Wild - Cheryl Strayed - liked it.

Along the same vein - Bill Bryson - In A sunburned Country; A Walk in the Woods - both hilarious

Sci fi:  Stephen Baxter: Manifold Time; Manifold Space; Coalesence; Transcedence; Exultant

A.

It was mentioned above by another poster but I couldn't put down the Chris Hadfield: An Astronaut's Guide to Life on Earth.

Not mentioned in the book but something he said in an interview. He started learning Russian around '92, knowing the US and Russian programs may someday work together.

Leading into his command of the ISS, he studied medicine at the U of Houston, worked in the ER and did many of the daily tasks of doctors and nurses, even being in the operating room for some procedures.

All for the health and welfare of his crew. He learned how to perform an apondectomy and a few other more common procedures, just in case.

Very few people inspire me but Chris Hadfield does.