How much do you sleep on average?

tede02
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Always wish I could get by on less sleep.  I read about some of these people who can get by on 4 hours or less and wonder how its possible.  I've found that I really need about 8 hours on average to be 100%.  I can go with less occasionally, but if I need to concentrate and do a lot of reading, I need to be rested.  Wasn't sure if my question should read how much sleep do you "get" on average or "need". 

8-9 hrs a nite

If I am disciplined with my CPAP machine and sinuses are clear, I can make do with 7.

We sleep to rejunivate our brain and body, I honestly don't think depriving ourselves of sleep to get more done is overall productive.

I used to sleep 8-9. Now that I am 30 years old, I could only sleep 7 and sometimes 6.

I found that if I exercise a lot during the day and be careful with food and drinks (avoid coffee or ginger after lunch), I could do 7.5.

muscleman,

I have always wondered... You are not the guy in the picture, are you?!?! ;D ;D

Cheers,

Gio

I used to need 8 hours otherwise I was worthless the next day. As I have aged that has decreased. After about 7 hours I just wake up, usually no need for an alarm. If I have to I can now easily get by on much less, at least for one day. I did know someone who only needed about 4 hours of sleep. He claimed after 4 hours he would just wake up and be fine. That would be nice, essentially adding 3-4 hours to my life every day!

I try to aim for 7 hours, but I'm one of those people who can go for months (I've done years) on just 5-6 hours a night.  About eight months ago I read some article saying that sleep is a way for the brain to clean itself and that can only happen after seven hours.  Since then I've aimed for seven hours.

I've found for myself if I exercise I need to sleep less.  This is counter-intuitive, but that's how it seems to work.  If I'm really pushing my running I'm fine on little sleep.  If I take a few weeks off from running 8 or 9 hours isn't enough at night.

If I'm moderately rested I naturally wake up after ~7 hours without an alarm.

I've found for myself if I exercise I need to sleep less.  This is counter-intuitive, but that's how it seems to work.  If I'm really pushing my running I'm fine on little sleep.

When I'm working out I find the amount of sleep is about the same but it's a better sleep. I wake up more refreshed. It must be a quality over quantity thing.

I've found after about 30 (I'm 40 now) getting only 4 or 5 hours at times is fine and I can function but when I was under 30 getting less than 5 was awful. I was a walking zombie.

Now I'm in the 7 hour range, sometimes 6 but I wake up during the night.

I try to aim for 7 hours, but I'm one of those people who can go for months (I've done years) on just 5-6 hours a night.  About eight months ago I read some article saying that sleep is a way for the brain to clean itself and that can only happen after seven hours.  Since then I've aimed for seven hours.

I've found for myself if I exercise I need to sleep less.  This is counter-intuitive, but that's how it seems to work.  If I'm really pushing my running I'm fine on little sleep.  If I take a few weeks off from running 8 or 9 hours isn't enough at night.

I've found the same thing. Not only does exercise help me modulate my sleep, it also helps me modulate my mood during the day.

I'm also wondering about the people who sleep for only 4 to 5 hours a day. Most of the research that I've seen on the matter supports the idea that more sleep is necessary for proper storage of information and/or cleaning out the cobwebs.

I get somewhere between 7 to 8 hours on average according to my FitBit.

Good discussion.  My experience with exercise is the same as Oddball and Merkhet described.  When I'm working out a lot, I can strangely get by on less sleep (I'd say about an hour less).  On average I work out 3 days per week.  However usually a few times a year I'll turn it up for a few weeks or maybe a month and workout 5-7 days per week.  This is when I really notice the difference (more energy during the day and less required sleep). 

I probably get 7hrs on average and need ~8.5- and I do feel the effects.

To add some dissent to the workout, sleep less thing, I have not found that effect at all. But it may have to do with the type of workouts. I have been lifting heavy-ish weights several times a week for many years and don't do very much out and out running or jogging.

For reference I am in my late 20's. I'm hoping the same thing happens that many of you describe post-30 where 6-7hrs seems to do the trick when needed!

I've always exercised, a lot, so I don't know what would happen to my sleep if I did not work out. I work out an hour 6 days most weeks, used to only miss a couple of times a year. I'm 62.  I don't know what 62 is suppose to feel like, but I don't think I feel anywhere near 62. My guess is I probably feel not much different than I did at 40 other than it sometimes bothers my shoulders a little to do shoulder presses. But I think that is from our 65 pound dogs jerking my arms when I walk them!

I'd sleep as much as my current life allows me...I do enjoy sleeping a lot

Some years I have done the 4 hour sleep routine and some years 10+. If circumstances are right, I can sleep 12-14 hrs. Now that I have a kid, my sleep is interrupted every 3-4 hrs, but i still manage 8+ hours

I've always exercised, a lot, so I don't know what would happen to my sleep if I did not work out. I work out an hour 6 days most weeks, used to only miss a couple of times a year. I'm 62.  I don't know what 62 is suppose to feel like, but I don't think I feel anywhere near 62. My guess is I probably feel not much different than I did at 40 other than it sometimes bothers my shoulders a little to do shoulder presses. But I think that is from our 65 pound dogs jerking my arms when I walk them!

That's awesome. I never could get into exercising much because I tend to find it boring, and I also don't like team sports or activities that need me to leave the house (I know, that rules out a lot of things).

I tend to end up doing mostly bodyweight stuff (push ups, pull ups) and I work at a standing desk, so at least I'm up and walking around all day, and I do try to take walks outside when it's not too cold. But I wish I had the kind of habit that you have, as I know it would be great for me.

All this introduction to ask: Do you just naturally like exercising, or have you found tricks to make it more fun? I suppose I could try to do it while listening to podcasts or audiobooks or something like that...

That's awesome. I never could get into exercising much because I tend to find it boring, and I also don't like team sports or activities that need me to leave the house (I know, that rules out a lot of things).

I tend to end up doing mostly bodyweight stuff (push ups, pull ups) and I work at a standing desk, so at least I'm up and walking around all day, and I do try to take walks outside when it's not too cold. But I wish I had the kind of habit that you have, as I know it would be great for me.

All this introduction to ask: Do you just naturally like exercising, or have you found tricks to make it more fun? I suppose I could try to do it while listening to podcasts or audiobooks or something like that...

I've always found it to be fun. I never got much of my exercise from team sports, just individual workouts. My basement is essentially a gym. I have a Nordic Track, an elliptical, treadmill, concept II rower, free weights, and a kicking bag. Yes I also have a TV and some headphones. So I mix it up a lot. I also do Tae Kwon Do a few days a week and in the summer bike on a trail system, I hate riding on the road.

I had a versa climber and used it so much it wore out. I haven't replaced it because they are now ridiculously expensive. Well, maybe a new one wouldn't wear out!

I don't know how old my Nordic Track is, but more than 30 years. Just today I had to order new Driverollers (one-way roller clutch bearing) for it.

I used to sleep 8-9. Now that I am 30 years old, I could only sleep 7 and sometimes 6.

I found that if I exercise a lot during the day and be careful with food and drinks (avoid coffee or ginger after lunch), I could do 7.5.

muscleman,

I have always wondered... You are not the guy in the picture, are you?!?! ;D ;D

Cheers,

Gio

Nah!!! I am actually this guy:  ;D

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSDs4itqTsKv25DS3OWJ1XEVJ0_TJe-5aPtEpqjtuttxkD15gCqtA