Buffett/Berkshire - general news

29 minutes ago, John Hjorth said:

Thanks for the elaboration, @Munger_Disciple,

In the 2024Q2 Berkshire 10-Q, we have Berkshire minority interests as per June 30th 2024 of USD 6,274 M. At that date, there must be more than BHE.

Off my head I can't come with what the rest by now must be related to.

Many BRK subs have minority interests. For example, the Blumkin family members who still run NFM (Nebraska Furniture Mart) are minority owners in NFM. 

Edited by Munger_Disciple

2 hours ago, Munger_Disciple said:

Wow! After reading the filing, BRK paid $650 per BHE share, a very big mark-down from $1,174 per share they paid for Abel's shares in 2022. That's a 45% mark-down!!

This may very well mean that BHE may be pulling back on utility investments significantly. 

Yeah, I’m pretty familiar with regulated utilities. What I’m getting at is BHE should be run for cash or divested if they have frequent unpleasant surprises from wildfires and/or other liabilities ambulance chasing attorneys can make stick. 

Interesting news!  I'm in Japan so just seeing this now as I wake up.  I think Abel was paid a premium price for his shares in order to take cash instead of the BRK.A stock he could have exchanged for under his shareholders agreement - so I think the story isn't really that BHE declined in value by 45% on the wildfire liabilities.  RationalWalk makes a good point that there was a deal with Scott family interests at around $50 billion in 2020.  

Berkshire didn't use any of its own cash to do this deal!  BYD sales proceeds, cash on hand at BHE and a debt swap covered most of the deal in the form of a repurchase at the BHE level.  The remaining minority shares (which benefitted form the repurchase and became more potent) were a straight tax-deferred equity swap.

@Luke posted this in the LVMH topic earlier today :

Containing :

... Look at Buffett, Munger etc, they dont even want to wear fancy stuff because it just harms them and their peace of mind. 

I have always been thinking about what watch Mr. Buffett is wearing. Does anyone here on CoBF know it, or have a guess? And yes, plus his wedding ring, that's it.

Edited by John Hjorth
Spelling

8 minutes ago, John Hjorth said:

Containing :

I have always been thinking about what watch Mr. Buffett is wearing. Does anyone here on CoBF know it, or have a guess? And yes, plus his wedding ring, that's it.

He occasionally wears a gold Rolex, but that's it. He couldnt care less about LV clothes, Gucci etc. If you are really wealthy than you shouldnt wear that stuff because it attracts attention you dont want!   

12 minutes ago, John Hjorth said:

Containing :

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/02/27/warren-buffett-only-wears-suits-made-by-a-chinese-entrepreneur.html

Not about watch but funny:)

Edited by UK

16 minutes ago, DooDiligence said:

I thought he'd wear something a bit less pedestrian.

I tried to look up a price tag for such Rolex models, looks like USD 15,000 - 25,000, depending on model. Not exactly just change for everyone. But change for him.

8 hours ago, DooDiligence said:

I thought this would be more in alignment with him.

https://www.alange-soehne.com/us-en/timepieces/saxonia/lange-31

Awesome watch, Jeff [ @DooDiligence ]!,

The more I think about it, I'm likely to come to the conclusion that this Rolex of his may not even be  be his own buying decision.

Perhaps one of his wifes decided to 'dress him up 'suitable'' [at one of his birthdays or whatever] more in accordance with the man he really is, pulling the payment for the watch on a mirror card of his personal Amex card, so he ended up paying for it himself!

- Women / wifes / men / husbands / better halfs / significant others / mistresses / lovers [<-?] can some times be so bold and ballsy risk takers so that one gets scared just thinking about it! 😅😎

- - - o 0 o - - -

I once was as a youngster on an audit of a quite complex private holding company, and in the process I ended up in an open office to ask the CFO why there were entries in the general ledger of utilities costs related to an appartment at a certain adress in Copenhagen, which appartment I coulden't see nor find in the balance sheet / books for the holding company. Furthermore, no rental income from it booked anywhere.

So I had to call the boss at end of normal working hours to tell him that I had f**ked up dearly during the day, at least unintentionally.

Answer from boss : No problem, John, - let it go. He [the controlling shareholder] called me two or three weeks ago, where we talked about nothing and everything. He actually complained to me, he had not been getting any sex lately with his wife [and he felt that he coulden't really take the freedom to go to Copenhagen anytime soon, so he was dearly frustrated!]

[- so what do you do when you're in deep shit and are frustrated about it and don't know what to to ? - You call your CPA for guidance and advice, naturally! 😅😎] ,

Because he had been to a meeting with a reinsurance company in Copenhagen during a day some time ago, and when he dressed off that evening to go to bed at home, his wife just asked him : 'This morning, when you dressed for going to work, you had an undershirt under your shirt. Where is that  now?' <wifey pulling for checkmate in one move>. 😅😎

Edited by John Hjorth