SolarCity

JBird

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I met a couple at a dude ranch in Northern California -- back in early July.  They were both medical researchers at UC Irvine.  I talked about Tesla a bit and they told me they had a Solar City installation on their rooftop.  They were recommending the company to others.  They purchased the system rather than leasing it.

It's hard to imagine why more rooftops don't have solar yet.  No money down, and immediately your energy bill drops.  We'll get there, it's a matter of getting the word out perhaps.

If you don't purchase it outright though and you want to sell your house at a later point before the system is paid off, you either have to pay it off before selling or get the buyer to assume the payments on the system which is seen as a negative. I think this is all true...

If you don't purchase it outright though and you want to sell your house at a later point before the system is paid off, you either have to pay it off before selling or get the buyer to assume the payments on the system which is seen as a negative. I think this is all true...

Solar City has a no money down program where after five years you can tell them to take their equipment away at no cost to you.

So it's only a five year window, and during those five years your only obligation is to purchase the generated electricity at a lower price than your utility charges.

In short, you are obligated to save money for five years.

Have you purchased it? It does seem pretty cool

My situation is complicated by a few factors:

1) I'm not a homeowner so I'd need the landlord to be a cosigner for the loan or agreement  (not happening)

2) I'm exploring have a carport built later this year and having the solar installed there (I have a purchase option so the house is going to be mine in 3 years)

3)  I want to look into the cost efficacy of using batteries to buy power at night and spend it in the day.  Might be better than buying solar panels, but the company (BYD) refuses to answer their email (two weeks now, two tries at different departments).

BYD is really irritating me.  I don't like waiting a week and not getting a response to a basic question like price.  And people think BYD has a rich future -- not if they routinely behave this way.

In short, you are obligated to save money for five years.

Have you purchased it? It does seem pretty cool

My situation is complicated by a few factors:

1) I'm not a homeowner so I'd need the landlord to be a cosigner for the loan or agreement  (not happening)

2) I'm exploring have a carport built later this year and having the solar installed there (I have a purchase option so the house is going to be mine in 3 years)

3)  I want to look into the cost efficacy of using batteries to buy power at night and spend it in the day.  Might be better than buying solar panels, but the company (BYD) refuses to answer their email (two weeks now, two tries at different departments).

BYD is really irritating me.  I don't like waiting a week and not getting a response to a basic question like price.  And people think BYD has a rich future -- not if they routinely behave this way.

Wouldn't solar panels with net-metering accomplish almost the same thing?  You would be using the power you generate during the day when it is expensive to buy, and selling any extra to the utility during the day when it is expensive.  Buy a few more panels than you need so that you sell back electricity everyday. Then you would only be buying power at night when it is cheap and your credits have run out.  The only exception to this would be on cloudy days.

BYD not getting back to you would be disconcerting to me if I were a shareholder.  How do they expect to make any sales in the US with customer service like that?

Have you tried calling them instead of email?

Not yet because who do you call?

China? Come on BYD, how about a local number for those of us actually in North America?

I'm not kidding, they give you a Chinese phone number for their North American Energy sales:

North America-Energy

Address:No.3001, Hengping Road, Baolong, Longgang, Shenzhen, 518118, P.R.China

Tel: +86-755-8988 8888 | Fax: +86-755-8420 2222

Email: nmd.og@byd.com

Have you tried calling them instead of email?

Not yet because who do you call?

China? Come on BYD, how about a local number for those of us actually in North America?

I'm not kidding, they give you a Chinese phone number for their North American Energy sales:

North America-Energy

Address:No.3001, Hengping Road, Baolong, Longgang, Shenzhen, 518118, P.R.China

Tel: +86-755-8988 8888 | Fax: +86-755-8420 2222

Email: nmd.og@byd.com

Billion dollar company, and they don't even have a U.S. office with receptionist.  Sheesh!  Cheers!

How about this number:

On the bottom of the brochure for that system lists the contact info as:

BYD North America

1800 S.

Figueroa Street,

Los Angeles,

CA 09915, USA

Tel: +1-213-748-3980

Email:bydenergy@byd.com

That's really weird.  On the website they list that address as their "Auto" destination (cars presumably). 

http://www.byd.com/na/service/salesinformation.html

And for all the other departments they say you should contact China.  And it's funny, the "Autos" for North America is the only department on that sales page that lists a non-Chinese number.  They only offer Chinese numbers for Africa, Europe, Australia (and all of North America excluding "Autos").

How about this number:

BYD North America

1800 S.

Figueroa Street,

Los Angeles,

CA 09915, USA

That's really weird.  On the website they list that address as their "Auto" destination (cars presumably). 

http://www.byd.com/na/service/salesinformation.html

And for all the other departments they say you should contact China.  And it's funny, the "Autos" for North America is the only department on that sales page that lists a non-Chinese number.  They only offer Chinese numbers for Africa, Europe, Australia (and all of North America excluding "Autos").

Yeah that's weird.

How about this number:

BYD North America

1800 S.

Figueroa Street,

Los Angeles,

CA 09915, USA

I called that number.  This is humorous.

Thank you for calling BYD North America Headquarters.  If you know your party's extension, you may enter it at any time.  To reach an operator, please stay on the line or press 0.

So I stay on the line (my hands are busy chopping veggies in the kitchen and I have the phone on my shoulder).  But they must repeat the loop like 6 times or something.  Finally they hang up on me. Operator never came on the line.

I called back and pressed "0" this time to reach an operator.

Instead of getting an operator, I got an answering machine with no instructions.  It just told me to leave a message.

This company is a joke -- you've heard about Bank of America having bad service?  Well... move over, we have a new champion.

I called back and pressed "0" this time to reach an operator.

Instead of getting an operator, I got an answering machine with no instructions.  It just told me to leave a message.

This company is a joke -- you've heard about Bank of America having bad service?  Well... move over, we have a new champion.

That's ridiculous. At least you have an early indication of their customer service level before investigating any of their US products for your own use.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Wouldn't solar panels with net-metering accomplish almost the same thing?  You would be using the power you generate during the day when it is expensive to buy, and selling any extra to the utility during the day when it is expensive.  Buy a few more panels than you need so that you sell back electricity everyday. Then you would only be buying power at night when it is cheap and your credits have run out.  The only exception to this would be on cloudy days.

Fully understand what you are saying.  I was trying to find out if the battery solution was more cost effective.  Or at least I wanted to find out how cost effective the battery thing is.  Simply getting a price would do the trick.  But they don't have any North American salespeople perhaps.

BYD not getting back to you would be disconcerting to me if I were a shareholder.  How do they expect to make any sales in the US with customer service like that?

I'm wondering if I keep repeatedly trying, one of these days I'll find that they've hired employees to sell their product.  Then if they are very responsive and eager to get my business at that point I'll buy the stock.  Then in the next quarterly earnings report the stock will soar because suddenly they'll have sales in North America.

• 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...